ADVERTISEMENT

02 June 2019 Game 56 NCAA Regional: (3) Nebraseball vs (2) UConn - UConn wins 16-1 (Season Over)

Hoping we can watch a double header today. Regardless it is always sad when Husker Baseball is nearing its end for the season. The “romantic” in me hopes we can be part of the 18% that win a regional via the losers bracket.

GBR

Post season is always a gut punch...
unless you walk away with the CWS trophy in hand.
64 teams enter. 1 team leaves.
16 teams have already gone home. 48 teams left.
A lot of teams left with, what-if's.
If you can't hold the trophy, make sure they beat you to get it!
Leave nothing on the table!

Let's GO RED!!!

Reactions: saluno22
Reece gives up an early lead but looks to be settling in as we head to the bottom of the 1st with a 1-0 UCONN lead.

Reactions: huskerfan66
.. .then gave up a leadoff homer in T2.

At least both are just single tallies.
Yeah, he is very hit or miss right now. In my defense I did say “looks to be” settling down. Winking

I don’t know if this team can bounce back after last night. That’s a tough tough task even for this team and the fight they’ve shown all year. I’ll be pretty impressed if they can scratch out a win today against a pretty confident hitting UCONN team.

An unusual strike em out throw em out double play gets the Huskers out of the Top of the 3rd. Hopefully the defense can spark the offense.

Update: or we go 1-2-3 instead.

2-0 UCONN after 3 innings

An unusual strike em out throw em out double play gets the Huskers out of the Top of the 3rd. Hopefully the defense can spark the offense.

Update: or we go 1-2-3 instead.

2-0 UCONN after 3 innings
The huskers have now been shut out for the past 8/9 innings by pitchers with ERAs in the 5 range.......
To have a consistent O, you need to be proficient at either power, average, or small ball. Remind me again what the Husker identity is???

The huskers have now been shut out for the past 8/9 innings by pitchers with ERAs in the 5 range.......
To have a consistent O, you need to be proficient at either power, average, or small ball. Remind me again what the Husker identity is???
We usually try and get to a full count to push the pitch count up. Currently we are doing the opposite against UCONN. They look defeated right now and I don’t even know if I can blame them at this point. Erstad needs to get the team together in the dugout and remind them they are playing baseball and just to have some fun.

We usually try and get to a full count to push the pitch count up. Currently we are doing the opposite against UCONN. They look defeated right now and I don’t even know if I can blame them at this point. Erstad needs to get the team together in the dugout and remind them they are playing baseball and just to have some fun.
And that is what small ball is supposed to look like.....,,

Nebraska gets another one back and should of had more buybacks Roskam hits into a 6-4-3 DP.

3-1 UCONN

Shay now in to replace Reece after UCONN stretches it to a 4-1 lead. At least we know Shay is nice and rested to pitch. ;)

I know there's like 2 innings left.
No matter what happens...
I'm proud of this team.
IMO they took a baby step forward...
from 2017. Not 2018, but 2017.
I like the future.
Sad for the seniors.
I like what next season brings.
HUNGER!

Now finish strong!
It ain't over yet!
GBR

I know there's like 2 innings left.
No matter what happens...
I'm proud of this team.
IMO they took a baby step forward...
from 2017. Not 2018, but 2017.
I like the future.
Sad for the seniors.
I like what next season brings.
HUNGER!

Now finish strong!
It ain't over yet!
GBR
Yep, there was a point after losing the first two games to Northwestern that we weren’t even sure if we’d make the Big Ten Tourney. I was ready for the usual end of the year collapse. They fought back and they deserve props for that.

It’ll still feel bitter knowing we were an inning away from an 82% chance of playing in our first super regional since 2005. That will hurt for awhile. Heck it still does and I’m just a fan, can’t imagine how the team feels.

We finished better than I expected in the sense that we went further than I thought we would go. But the season is really ending pretty much how I thought it would end-with a whimper. Seems like that's always how it ends with Erstad teams whenever it may be-regular season, conference tournament or regional.

Reactions: regionsdoc
This game may be coming to a whimper.

But this team, came into this year's Regionals with a different mind set. It almost paid off. Erstad may be 5-4 in post season play here in a few minutes, this season. Way better than the 0-4 we"ve seen in previous seasons.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
This game may be coming to a whimper.

But this team, came into this year's Regionals with a different mind set. It almost paid off. Erstad may be 5-4 in post season play here in a few minutes, this season. Way better than the 0-4 we"ve seen in previous seasons.
No question we made some noise in the postseason this year, and that didn't seem likely a few weeks ago. But we still only ended up with one regional win, which although it did double the number of total regional wins in the Erstad era, is still below what this program should be capable of. I feel like once again. Erstad is doing just enough to be able to keep the big detractors at bay and claim that he's a success, but at the same time not really accomplishing a whole lot. I feel almost like I did two years ago after the B1G regular season championship-happy for the guys on the team that they were able to go on a nice little run at the end of the season and make it to a regional, but at the same time making Erstad look better than he really is.

Wow, 11 runs (all earned) across 5 pitchers for a total of 1.0 IP on 72 pitches, including this line...

Luensmann: 4 R, 4 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 BF, 0.0 IP, 17 pitches

That kid has really fallen off. And to think, he was our opening-day starter this season.

22 hits today for UConn, what does that bring their total to?

I'd be curious to know what the most hits collected by a team in a regional is without advancing.

Reactions: gunNrun
22 hits today for UConn, what does that bring their total to?

I'd be curious to know what the most hits collected by a team in a regional is without advancing.
41 total hits. Their top 2 offensive performances of the season were against us.

Connecticut was 22 of 46 today and is now batting .464 for the regional. I don’t care who is on the mound—that’s simply otherworldly.
Right up there with Iowa scoring 17 two-out runs (out of 17 total) on us bask in April.

Wish I could be as positive as many of you ... I simply can’t. While you may brand me a terrible fan, and to be honest that may fit, but I can’t take this staff any longer. Loooooooong time season ticket holder, suffered thru the Mike Anderson Year’s, but I can no longer support the predictable performance this team continues to generate from the baseball minds of this staff. Too many miserable drives back to Omaha lamenting the nonsense decisions this staff repeatedly makes. I feel for the players the most as they deserve better. Turning in my season tickets until a change is made ... just not enough juice in the squeeze anymore. I’m sure that will matter zilch to the AD who is in mad love with DE. Very much appreciate the thoughts and perspective the guys on this site provide ... thanks for all the energy you put into this program. My perspective is a change is clearly and certainly in order, but that does not appear on the horizon .... waving the white flag on this one. Only vote I have.

ADVERTISEMENT