ADVERTISEMENT

01 June 2019 Game 55 NCAA Regional: (3) Nebraseball vs (1) Oklahoma State at OKC - OSU wins 6-5

Are you really defaulting to the “blame Erstad” narrative right now? Colby Gomes is the closer. Period. He has been nails all season and unfortunately wasn’t tonight.

I don't care if you use Gomes, but if that's the call you shouldn't burn Schanaman for one out (especially with Palkert unavailable).

Yes, I think it’s a crucial moment for any pitcher. I feel you have to think outside of the regular season status quo. He ran out to warm up, ran in the get ready to bat, that’s a lot of pressure. Sticking with Shay had the better odds in this particular situation.

Also, it isn’t a narrative, it is what it is.
I disagree. Pitching decisions aside, this game was lost by getting exactly one base runner innings 4-9.

Are you really defaulting to the “blame Erstad” narrative right now? Colby Gomes is the closer. Period. He has been nails all season and unfortunately wasn’t tonight.
I'm with you. And I'm certainly not one to shy away from criticism of these coaches. I have no problem at all with bringing Gomes in. The guy has shut other teams down all season. If we'd left Schanaman and he got in trouble, then people would be asking why we left him in. Just because bad things happen doesn't always mean it is the fault of a coaching decision.

I disagree. Pitching decisions aside, this game was lost by getting exactly one base runner innings 4-9.
Exactly right. People want to focus on the pitching. The hitting was practically non-existent for most of the game.

If you are up 3 runs going into the 9th you should play the odds. We didn’t. We had a guy who just struck out a dude to get out of the jam and you go away from it? Hitting wasn’t what lost it at that point. It was a low percentage decision based on that moment is what I’m saying.

I'm with you. And I'm certainly not one to shy away from criticism of these coaches. I have no problem at all with bringing Gomes in. The guy has shut other teams down all season. If we'd left Schanaman and he got in trouble, then people would be asking why we left him in.
You have Gomes ready but stick with Shay. It was overthinking the situation in my opinion. Apparently most disagree but I bet we win if we stick with Shay. Said that when they didn’t bring him back out. Shay just tore up the Big Ten championship game and looked great as of late in crucial situations.

Reactions: regionsdoc
If you are up 3 runs going into the 9th you should play the odds. We didn’t. We had a guy who just struck out a dude to get out of the jam and you go away from it? Hitting wasn’t what lost it at that point. It was a low percentage decision based on that moment is what I’m saying.
Completely disagree. You can't just excuse the lack of offense for most of the game. You put up 5 runs early in the game, you should be able to get at least a run or two more. We couldn't even manage to get anyone on base. Had opportunities to get a knockout punch early too and couldn't do it. The whole game should not be put on what happened with one pitcher in the 9th inning.

Completely disagree. You can't just excuse the lack of offense for most of the game.
We were up 3 runs in the 9th. Offense did enough and not why we lost. The narrative was already set so it doesn’t matter what happened before that inning because it was a 3-0 one inning ball game at that point.

We were up 3 runs in the 9th. Offense did enough and not why we lost. The narrative was already set so it doesn’t matter what happened before that inning because it was a 3-0 one inning ball game at that point.
Offense didn't do a dang thing for most of the game after the first few innings. You cannot just excuse that as being meaningless. You shouldn't have to just cruise to a win when you put up 5 runs early. The good teams get the knockout punch when they need to. We didn't. That is putting too much pressure on your pitching staff to shut the other team down. The amazing thing is that we almost pulled it off. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was getting a bit concerned when we were just going 3 up and 3 down for inning after inning.

Offense didn't do a dang thing for most of the game after the first few innings. You cannot just excuse that as being meaningless. You shouldn't have to just cruise to a win when you put up 5 runs early.
You are missing my point I feel. It is all irrelevant when you are up 3 with one inning left. We can talk about what lead to that inning and we would agree on most of it. But at the end of the day you have to win a 3-0 one inning ballgame and give yourself the best chance to do so. He overthought it was all.

Shay earned the 9th and the pressure was multiplied by putting Gomes in a very awkward spot. I mean you have a 5 hole rookie hitter/pitcher running out to the bullpen to warm up and then back to the on deck circle? Just stick with the guy who almost won you a Big Ten Tourney Title game.

If you are up 3 runs going into the 9th you should play the odds.
I think we did. How much experience does Schanaman have in the role you’re saying we should have asked him to fill (closing out the game)? Zero. How much does Gomes have? A whole season’s worth.

No matter who was on the mound, the odds were severely against a three-run homer at that moment. But it happened and we are all really upset about it. That doesn’t mean we have to immediately blame coaching decisions.

You are missing my point I feel. It is all irrelevant when you are up 3 with one inning left. We can talk about what lead to that inning and we would agree on most of it. But at the end of the day you have to win a 3-0 one inning ballgame and give yourself the best chance to do so. He overthought it was all.

Shay earned the 9th and the pressure was multiplied by putting Gomes in a very awkward spot. I mean you have a 5 hole rookie hitter running out to the bullpen to warm up and then back to the on deck circle? Just stick with the guy who almost won you a Big Ten Tourney Title game.
For as long as I've been following baseball, these are always the managerial decisions that get the most scrutinized. I've always thought people are too critical of them too. To me, people too often take it as a straight if it works, it's a great decision, if it doesn't work, it isn't. I don't think that's fair. We all know if Schanaman gets into trouble, then people ask why we started the 9th with him when Gomes is our closer. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. If coming in the 9th is your closer's role, then I say do it.
And I will not acknowledge that the complete lack of offense for 5 innings is irrelevant. I'm not laying the loss on the offense, but to just brush it off as completely irrelevant I don't think is fair either. 5 runs is nice, but it's nowhere near big enough to just cruise and think your offense can just lay off the rest of the game. The offense wasn't just cold, it was completely non-existent. That can never be brushed off as OK. If you got a 10 run lead, then maybe you can just say it wasn't a big deal. But we didn't have that big of a lead.

I think we did. How much experience does Schanaman have in the role you’re saying we should have asked him to fill (closing out the game)? Zero. How much does Gomes have? A whole season’s worth.

No matter who was on the mound, the odds were severely against a three-run homer at that moment. But it happened and we are all really upset about it. That doesn’t mean we have to immediately blame coaching decisions.
I think you play the hand you’re dealt. Shay had the better odds. I mean if you really think about the pressure Gomes had to face just to warm up and then add in the situation itself.

I’m not mad at Erstad for going with what was the normal routine all season I’m just saying it was not the situation to warrant the normal routine.

Regardless, your odds of losing should be low but you can decrease or increase your odds by taking in account the human factor in those situations, that’s what I’m saying.

Exactly. And at this point, I'm glad I've dished out my share of criticism of this coaching staff so I can't be accused of just retreating into defending everything they do. But I will never criticize a coach for playing the roles the way they have been played all season. It didn't work this time. It happens. That doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong decision.

For as long as I've been following baseball, these are always the managerial decisions that get the most scrutinized. I've always thought people are too critical of them too. To me, people too often take it as a straight if it works, it's a great decision, if it doesn't work, it isn't. I don't think that's fair. We all know if Schanaman gets into trouble, then people ask why we started the 9th with him when Gomes is our closer. Just because something doesn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. If coming in the 9th is your closer's role, then I say do it.
And I will not acknowledge that the complete lack of offense for 5 innings is irrelevant. I'm not laying the loss on the offense, but to just brush it off as completely irrelevant I don't think is fair either. 5 runs is nice, but it's nowhere near big enough to just cruise and think your offense can just lay off the rest of the game. The offense wasn't just cold, it was completely non-existent. That can never be brushed off as OK. If you got a 10 run lead, then maybe you can just say it wasn't a big deal. But we didn't have that big of a lead.
No biggy, I’ll be honest, I don’t think you are understanding that point I’m making is all.

No biggy, I’ll be honest, I don’t think you are understanding that point I’m making is all.
Well, I think I do, I just don't agree. But I don't think we're going to get anywhere with discussing it any more. I might add that I'm glad we can disagree about something and not get nasty about it.

Exactly. And at this point, I'm glad I've dished out my share of criticism of this coaching staff so I can't be accused of just retreating into defending everything they do. But I will never criticize a coach for playing the roles the way they have been played all season. It didn't work this time. It happens. That doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong decision.
So hypothetically if a hitter is 3/4 in a tourney game but bats .235 during the season do you pinch hit for him? I’m talk about one game.

The season gives you your probabilities but in no way does it dictate the situation at hand is what I’m saying. You have to think outside of the typical numbers and look at the human element.

In this moment it was pretty clear to see what Gomes had to do to be successful. It was a pretty big up hill climb. I know he’s a stud and will be a stud in the future as well.

I just feel the situation was pretty intense and a pitcher in Shay that was pitching pretty confident of late was the better choice for this moment. I do feel there was more pressure created for an already stressful situation.

Yes, if we hit in 20 runs we win. But that wasn’t the situation for that particular inning is all.

Well, I think I do, I just don't agree. But I don't think we're going to get anywhere with discussing it any more. I might add that I'm glad we can disagree about something and not get nasty about it.
I’m not doing the best at explaining it but if you recorded it rewatch the last couple innings. For the record I feel bringing Waldron out to pitch the 8th made perfect sense. Bringing Shay in when they did was spot on. Taking him out was what I didn’t like at the time and of course hindsight it became obvious. I just felt we relied a little more on luck than we should of.

Oh well, I’m looking forward to a double header tomorrow regardless.

It's a team loss. 1 hit after the 3rd inning is BS, but not surprising looking at the totality of DE's 5 years post-Bolt.

Schanaman just went 4 innings against Ohio State and worked them like a rented mule. He has 3 saves on the year, I don't think leaving him in would have blown his mind.

It's a team loss. 1 hit after the 3rd inning is BS, but not surprising looking at the totality of DE's 5 years post-Bolt.

Schanaman just went 4 innings against Ohio State and worked them like a rented mule. He has 3 saves on the year, I don't think leaving him in would have blown his mind.
At least I’m not feeling so alone on my thinking about Shay. Laughing

What sucks is we all know we just went from a super regional matchup with Texas Tech to possibly being done tomorrow morning. Either way being a Husker Baseball fan is exhausting.

At least I’m not feeling so alone on my thinking about Shay. Laughing

What sucks is we all know we just went from a super regional matchup with Texas Tech to possibly being done tomorrow morning. Either way being a Husker Baseball fan is exhausting.
I just thought it was worth pointing out that Schanaman does not, in fact, have 0 experience closing games out. Limited, yes, but still something. And I've already said my piece on Luensmann in the main forum's NCAA Regional topic o_O

I was at the game and the biggest mistake pitching wise, was when we had no one available in the 8th until after the third base hit. Waldron was over 115 pitches after the second hit. I would have had Shay ready to go after the first and definitely after the second hit. That one run and the extra at bats put us in the situation we were in in the 9th.

But again, the only reason we are discussing this is because we lost. No one would have questioned the decision if Colby came in and got the save. Hindsight is a remarkable thing.

I was nervous around the 6th inning when we couldn't scratch across any more runs.

What an absolute gut punch. Up three in the 9th with our closer coming in, a guy who gave up two earned runs and zero home runs. 99% of the time that results in a W.

Looking forward to next year. Pitching should be interesting but we have a lot of young bats coming back. Hopefully they take a step forward.

Reactions: sklarbodds and k9_r
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT