ADVERTISEMENT

“Iowa’s a bigger, stronger football team,” Frost said.

It goes way beyond the last 3 years.
It really has been for the past 2 decades. Things slipped some under Frank, then some more under Callahan, then some more under Bo and then evidently fell off the edge of the earth under Riley.

Reactions: HuskerO
So anyway, list the teams iowa will lose to next season, you must list at least 4 and can list as many as 8 ( we know the minimum number of losses will be 4 probably more like 5-7, but 8 is in the cards). I cannot see iowa losing more than 8 next season, but I could be convinced if you have a compelling argument. Go.....

I like the number 4 as in 4 straight.

One probably should ask if Frost was aware of the discrepancy in strength before the game. One would think he should have had a good idea and a game plan put in place to combat that. Offensively I think to the most part he does that but sometimes does not run the ball enough. It is on the defensive side of the ball where the major problems exist. There are adjustments a team has to make when the other team is physically stronger and this team does not seem to make any such adjustments. Maybe they are being made and just not successful. If that is the case they were unsuccessful all year and I hope more adjustments were tried. From the naked eye those adjustments never happened. We hardly ever did anything but bull rush. If one knows the team is not strong why continue to bull rush almost exclusively? As I have also pointed out when we blitzed we hardly ever did anything but slam into a lineman with our LB's. We did not use hands or anything to combat the lack of strength on our part. If we ever had a quickness advantage like a LB or DB against a lineman we did not appear to use that either.

What I do know if our Head Coach was not a former husker and fan favorite there would be lots more voices of concern over the football that was witnessed this season especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know many on here keep banging the lack of talent drum however there are ways to overcome that also. It is not lack of talent that keeps the DL continuing to bull rush. It is not lack of talent that puts a DB 15 yards off the line of scrimmage on a 4th and 8 play. It is not lack of talent that continues to give up first downs on third and long. If there was no talent we would not be putting teams in third and long very often anyway. And that was not the case.

There it is. I put it out there. I am sure I will be raked over the coals for all this but oh well I am willing anyway. And so no one misunderstands I do not want any coaching changes made per se. I do wish Front himself would become more involved with the defense and the defensive calls. I think our talent is being misused and that needs to change. Can Chinander do this? I would hope so and if not help him!

Yes, didn’t he and a redshirting DL play in one of the clothing/shoe all America things? I think one or two of Iowa’s incoming lineman are too

Yes, Lindenbaum. Think he got some snaps this year but kept it under the threshold to keep his year. Gonna be a good DT

A head coach can only take on so much himself. Frost can't be fully immersed in the offense and try to take over defensive play calling. I can remember a few occasions over the course of TO's career where a defensive play blew up in our face and after the game TO sheepishly acknowledged that he had suggested a blitz or some other defense in that situation, which failed badly. Unless the coach is immersed in the defensive scheme, best to hire people you trust and let them do their job. HCSF's responsibility is to bring in guys who can coach up the defense and put together a good game plan, and to replace that coach if he can't get it done. It will take a couple more seasons, IMO, to see if Chinander and his group can get it done with some bigger, stronger, faster players. And if not, we will see if HCSF has it in him to recognize that and make a change. My hope is it doesn't come to that, but time will tell.

Only so much game planning you can do if you are outmanned. Sure you can take lots of gambles, like the one we took on 4th and 8. We saw a lot of gambling defenses against us in the 80s and 90s. Sometimes it worked for a bit, but most of those games wound up in blow-outs as soon as the offense adjusted to make those defenses pay for gambling. It was a game plan that was within one bad pass and perhaps a couple of other missed plays from being good enough for us to win.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Tough for any defense to keep a team from playing 4 downs. Nebraska converted 4 4th downs, 3 of them 2 yards or more. Thought Iowa's D played a pretty good game. Probably get to pin ears back/anticipate some turnovers had KF kicked that FG. Frost so much as said the game was probably over if they take the points.

Yes I thought Iowa overthought the fake FG. I get the reasoning that they had a chance to end the game, but at the time all the momentum was in Iowa's favor. Just kick the damn FG to go up 18 and at that point Nebraska mostly has to take the running game off the table.

On the flip side, it was a good gamble by Frost to go for the fake punt. He said as much after the game that if they punt away, Iowa likely has it on the plus side of 50 against a tired defense.

I will give KF credit for taking the very calculated gamble to go for 4th and 8 to set up the winning FG. If that game goes to OT, all momentum is with Nebraska.

I know you all don't care what an outsider thinks, but I saw Nebraska enough this year to see things were different (in a better way). Your team competed (Michigan game aside) and real bright future on the offensive side. I would be concerned by some of the game-day coaching things, but literally any fan base in America can say that. West is wide open going forward as this year shows.

I like the number 4 as in 4 straight.
5 in a row is a little cooler and 8 in row is better still, you wouldn’t know though. Either tell me which teams Iowa loses to next season, 4 minimum probably more like 5-7 or GTFO. Or feel free to comeback when Iowa gets to 890 wins or wins the B1G at least 5 times. Iowa is to us what ISU is to you so that makes Nebraska the biggest game on Iowa’s schedule since 2011. Seeing Iowa fans rush the field after beating a 4 win Nebraska team was priceless, means a lot to the pork state.

5 in a row is a little cooler and 8 in row is better still, you wouldn’t know though. Either tell me which teams Iowa loses to next season, 4 minimum probably more like 5-7 or GTFO. Or feel free to comeback when Iowa gets to 890 wins or wins the B1G at least 5 times. Iowa is to us what ISU is to you so that makes Nebraska the biggest game on Iowa’s schedule since 2011. Seeing Iowa fans rush the field after beating a 4 win Nebraska team was priceless, means a lot to the pork state.
Man you're butthurt. Enjoy the off-season/recruiting season. A surefire win within your borders!

Man you're butthurt. Enjoy the off-season & recruiting season. A surefire win within your borders!
Nah not hurt at all, I won money betting on Nebraska against Iowa, I will win more money if Iowa finishes 8-5 which is very likely since KF has earned his 500K already.

I am just trying to figure out my bets for next season and your worthless posts over here are not helpful. Please post which 4-8 teams Iowa loses to next season and be helpful or better yet just move along.

I was there, I didn't see a rushing of the field. Heck, there might have been about 1500 students there(the primary field rushers after big wins). I get you want to get under the skin of Hawkeye visitors, but this is full on Trump made up stuff.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I would love to hear Frost’s brutally honest assessment of the job his predecessors did at Nebraska - in particular his immediate predecessor. He has generally chosen his words carefully, but the comment that prompted this thread, and his earlier comments about the awful culture when he took over leads me to believe he was beyond disgusted with the clown-show Riley and Eichorst put together.

I was there, I didn't see a rushing of the field. Heck, there might have been about 1500 students there(the primary field rushers after big wins). I get you want to get under the skin of Hawkeye visitors, but this is full on Trump made up stuff.
I value your opinion very much, which 4-8 games does Iowa lose next year?

Nah not hurt at all, I won money betting on Nebraska against Iowa, I will win more money if Iowa finishes 8-5 which is very likely since KF has earned his 500K already.

I am just trying to figure out my bets for next season and your worthless posts over here are not helpful. Please post which 4-8 teams Iowa loses to next season and be helpful or better yet just move along.

Sorry, guy/gal. Can't & won't predict a hypothetical future. Iowa returns a lot - hopefully the close losses flip to wins next year. We'll see. Just know Iowa will play their physical style & it's not going change. Hope UNL is ready to bring it.

Reactions: sltldowney
What 4-8 do you keep babbling about? Sure as hell didnt lose to a 4-8 team this season? Are you feeling ok? Is it the norm for this character (Asking the board residents)?
To clarify, he’s asking which 4 to 8 games will you lose next year.

Don’t know if this is the norm or not.

Sorry, guy/gal. Can't & won't predict a hypothetical future. Iowa returns a lot - hopefully the close losses flip to wins next year. We'll see. Just know Iowa will play their physical style & it's not going change. Hope UNL is ready to bring it.
Come on guy/gal, all the Iowa message boarders told me this season was a 2 loss max Iowa team, good thing I went with my gut and bet 8-5. 2015 (fake id season) was a long time ago, probably reaching that magic “don’t live in the past” number so loved by Iowa fan. Iowa is getting close to being better known for going 8-5 then for the wave.

Iowa probably in for a let down after winning the Iowa Super Bowl against Nebraska. BTW, after 4 a in a row KF still doesn’t have a winning record against Nebraska, hilarious. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe KF has a winning record against our blueblood brethren Michigan.

I know, I got it Tim ;).

I see 4-8 & it's synonymous with UNL football, I suppose.
Good enough.

4-8 is a pattern that needs to end, and I have no doubt it will.

It was a good football game. I felt like Iowa was very close to breaking it wide open. Then it felt like Nebraska was gonna steal it away.

As disappointing as 4-8 is, I feel good about the direction we are headed in.

I know, I got it Tim ;).

I see 4-8 & it's synonymous with UNL football, I suppose.
Well you’re here not providing anything useful to the board just trying to help you out. Aside from being a massive message board tool do you have any other hobbies?

Most of us respect Iowa football and abhor ignorant Iowa message board fan, does that help?

Well you’re here not providing anything useful to the board just trying to help you out. Aside from being a massive message board tool do you have any other hobbies?

Most of us respect Iowa football and abhor ignorant Iowa message board fan, does that help?

I never came at you, I was discussing what I saw with others before you went off.

Yes, I enjoy boating, snowmobiling, & a good game of Scrabble.

Weird question, but thanks for asking?

I never came at you, I was discussing what I saw with others before you went off.

Yes, I enjoy boating, snowmobiling, & a good game of Scrabble.

Weird question, but thanks for asking?
Yeah maybe you didn’t notice, most of us know what Iowa fan thinks about Iowa football and about Nebraska football and those thoughts aren’t needed here.

Topics we would be interested to know from Iowa fan, besides which 4 plus games Iowa will lose next season are in no particular order:

Does KF retire with a winning record against Nebraska?

How old will you be when Iowa crosses the 800 win threshold?

Will KF get an outright B1G title before he retires?

Why does Iowa fan believe college football started in 2002?

Is Iowa fan syndrome contagious or just a common disorder from cheering for a never was program?

Do you prefer “never was” or “mediocre” when talking about the totality of Iowa football, both are accurate, but which do you prefer?

I
I value your opinion very much, which 4-8 games does Iowa lose next year?
Im not sure why you are asking me this, and I personally I haven’t looked at their schedule. As for Iowa, nothing is surprising with them...doesn’t matter if they lose 0 or lose 5. They are a hard team to beat. How hard? Typically comes down to health and clutch plays. This year they made clutch plays twice(ISU and Nebraska) didn’t make a plays that were right infront of them vs PU, Wisky, NW and PS. Been that way for decades. Again, a Tough out, and every 4 years or so things bounce right.

Reactions: 9and4
Yeah maybe you didn’t notice, most of us know what Iowa fan thinks about Iowa football and about Nebraska football and those thoughts aren’t needed here.

Topics we would be interested to know from Iowa fan, besides which 4 plus games Iowa will lose next season are in no particular order:

Is Iowa fan syndrome contagious or just a common disorder from cheering for a never was program?

Do you prefer “never was” or “mediocre” when talking about the totality of Iowa football, both are accurate, but which do you prefer?

I just heard this one on 590 - no team has ever won 4 straight in this series until now? Incredible.

You sorely lack having a life. Good day!

I

Im not sure why you are asking me this, and I personally I haven’t looked at their schedule. As for Iowa, nothing is surprising with them...doesn’t matter if they lose 0 or lose 5. They are a hard team to beat. How hard? Typically comes down to health and clutch plays. This year they made clutch plays twice(ISU and Nebraska) didn’t make a plays that were right infront of them vs PU, Wisky, NW and PS. Been that way for decades. Again, a Tough out, and every 4 years or so things bounce right.
Ok we’ve found common ground, Iowa is a try hard team cheered on by try hard fans. Cool.

One probably should ask if Frost was aware of the discrepancy in strength before the game. One would think he should have had a good idea and a game plan put in place to combat that. Offensively I think to the most part he does that but sometimes does not run the ball enough. It is on the defensive side of the ball where the major problems exist. There are adjustments a team has to make when the other team is physically stronger and this team does not seem to make any such adjustments. Maybe they are being made and just not successful. If that is the case they were unsuccessful all year and I hope more adjustments were tried. From the naked eye those adjustments never happened. We hardly ever did anything but bull rush. If one knows the team is not strong why continue to bull rush almost exclusively? As I have also pointed out when we blitzed we hardly ever did anything but slam into a lineman with our LB's. We did not use hands or anything to combat the lack of strength on our part. If we ever had a quickness advantage like a LB or DB against a lineman we did not appear to use that either.

What I do know if our Head Coach was not a former husker and fan favorite there would be lots more voices of concern over the football that was witnessed this season especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know many on here keep banging the lack of talent drum however there are ways to overcome that also. It is not lack of talent that keeps the DL continuing to bull rush. It is not lack of talent that puts a DB 15 yards off the line of scrimmage on a 4th and 8 play. It is not lack of talent that continues to give up first downs on third and long. If there was no talent we would not be putting teams in third and long very often anyway. And that was not the case.

There it is. I put it out there. I am sure I will be raked over the coals for all this but oh well I am willing anyway. And so no one misunderstands I do not want any coaching changes made per se. I do wish Front himself would become more involved with the defense and the defensive calls. I think our talent is being misused and that needs to change. Can Chinander do this? I would hope so and if not help him!
That bull rush is the same type of rush Pelini and Diaco used too. It actually is used to take up space and keep all major gaps available for the linebackers and safeties to fill, and keep running qb's in the pocket by keeping their lanes. Problem is it didn't work, for them or Chinander. It is a very non-disruptive technique unless you just have extremely strong players (or fast which creates a burst). They also have to be able to get off the meat hooks of the offensive lineman so they can actually tackle anything that comes thru the gaps when there is only a 3 man rush. The defensive line has failed at this for years. Partially due to skill and the rest due to coaching/development. Chinander and Duval should be allowed more than a year to develop this though.

But putting this all on the defensive line is unfair. Quality linebackers and safeties can make the bull rush effective as well, even if the defensive line doesn't get much push. Get up and hit somebody with some authority. There were failures across the board here.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
I just heard this one on 590 - no team has ever won 4 straight in this series until now? Incredible.

You sorely lack having a life. Good day!
Typical of Iowa fan every post needs a disclaimer, “no team has won 4 in a row since Nebraska joined the B1G”. The undisputed fact is that Nebraska has won 8 in a row and 5 in a row in the series. Feels good to be on the right side of accuracy.

Typical of Iowa fan every post needs a disclaimer, “no team has won 4 in a row since Nebraska joined the B1G”. The undisputed fact is that Nebraska has won 8 in a row and 5 in a row in the series. Feels good to be on the right side of accuracy.

When was that?

When was that?

1982, 1999, 2000, 2011, 2012

8 game Nebraska run in 30s to 40s

9 game Nebraska run with one tie early in series.

But remember you’re “college football started in 2002” Iowa fan so anything prior to 2002 doesn’t count. What a bunch of fools. So “never was” or “mediocre” to describe Iowa football?

1982, 1999, 2000, 2011, 2012

8 game Nebraska run in 30s to 40s

9 game Nebraska run with one tie early in series.

But remember you’re “college football started in 2002” Iowa fan so anything prior to 2002 doesn’t count. What a bunch of fools. So “never was” or “mediocre” to describe Iowa football?

Hook, line, - didn't need the sinker. Lol

Go sulk/bask in it for 362 more days!

I figured you were just an ignorant Iowa fan, guess I was right. Why are you still here?

Instigator, you are. Fun to follow up & see the real butthurt. You could try and add some game thoughts? Then you wouldn't get so worked up. Door is open, what did you think of Frost's comments?

Well, we’re waiting........

Is Iowa fan syndrome contagious or just acommon disorder from cheering for a never wasprogram?

Do you prefer “never was” or “mediocre” whentalking about the totality of Iowa football, bothare accurate, but which do you prefer?

Soooooooo you’re not going to answer valuable questions? Ok, good day. I will save those questions in case you forget and decide to come back.
Valuable conjecture & drivel? Thread title, keep on topic! You live in lala land dork for not wanting to talk about the actual game & what your coach said! Your coach said Iowa was bigger & stronger! He said game is probably over in 3rd quarter if Iowa kicks FG! He said Iowa is the better team! It's right there, man! Discuss!

It's peculiar that you harp on this point about Iowa losing 4 games when Nebraska has gone 15 straight seasons losing at least 4, under 4 straight head coaches. Iowa has lost 4 games or more 12 times in that same span, so I guess I could ask you which 4 games Nebraska will lose in 2019, since it's more likely.

Last edited:
It's peculiar that you harp on this point about Iowa losing 4 games when Nebraska has gone 15 straight seasons losing at least 4. Iowa has lost 4 games or more 12 times in that same span, so I guess I could ask you which 4 games Nebraska will lose in 2019, since it's more likely.
But see you’re on the Nebraska board and we don’t care about what you have to say about Nebraska football. So the least you could do is answer questions about Iowa football. You cheer for a never was, mediocre team. Iowa will occasionally have a better team, but will never have a better program. I’m good with that fact, and it is a fact, unless you can spin it so that Iowa somehow gets 200 extra wins, 30 extra conference titles and multiple NCs. The next novel post by Iowa fan will be the first.

It's peculiar that you harp on this point about Iowa losing 4 games when Nebraska has gone 15 straight seasons losing at least 4. Iowa has lost 4 games or more 12 times in that same span, so I guess I could ask you which 4 games Nebraska will lose in 2019, since it's more likely.
Here's Iowa's schedule, with the games' difficulty noted 1-12, most to least difficult, and site of game plays into difficulty. I would say 8-12 should be UI wins, so that's five wins for sure; 2-7 are tossups, so a split would mean 3-3; and at Michigan will be a tough nut to crack. So I'd put the O/U at 8, and with a few breaks, 11-1 is possible, but so is a losing season.
8/31 Miami, Ohio (12)
9/7 Rutgers (10)
9/14 at ISU (5)
9/28 Middle Tennessee (11)
10/5 at Michigan (1)
10/12 Penn State (4)
10/19 Purdue (7)
10/26 at Northwestern (3)
11/9 at Wisconsin (2)
11/16 Illinois (9)
11/23 Minnesota (8)
11/29 at Nebraska (6)

Here's Nebraska's schedule
8/31 South Alabama (12)
9/7 at Colorado (9)
9/14 Northern Illinois (11)
9/21 at Illinois (10)
9/28 Ohio State (1)
10/5 Northwestern (2)
10/12 at Minnesota (6)
10/26 Indiana (8)
11/2 at Purdue (3)
11/16 Wisconsin (4)
11/23 at Maryland (7)
11/29 Iowa (5)

While I think only one Nebraska game is a guaranteed victory (USA in Week One), I wouldn't consider any game beyond Nebraska's ability to pull out a victory. Nebraska's games likely will be tiered this way:
Guaranteed victory
South Alabama
Likely victories
Northern Illinois
at Illinois
Indiana
Toss-ups
at Colorado
at Maryland
at Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
at Purdue
Northwestern
Underdogs
Ohio State

If we win as favorites, that's four victories. If we split the eight closer games, that's four more. So if we get no bounces, another 4-8 is a possibility. If the bounces even out, that's 8-4. If we get some good fortune or more defensive development, 9-3 or better are in play.

On the field, Nebraska almost caught up to Iowa in Frost's first year, and that despite Iowa's decided advantage in the trenches. The teams both return a lot of players on both sides of the ball and at key positions. I suspect their records will look very much the same next year.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Recent history and the future are all that matter. Texas fans are starting to get it. Iowa fans understand it. And most Nebraska fans do as well. Except you, and your tired posts such as the one above.

Is Nebraska going to be in the mix in the future? Yes. Will it ever be as consistent as past years? No. The population base is still small. Smaller than Iowa's actually. And Nebraska is no longer one of 25 teams that recruit nationally. They are now one of about 100. Probably closer to 75 effectively.

We are in 2018. No one cares that Iowa was one game away from the CFP. That was 2015. No one cares that Nebraska won a natty in 1997. That was 1997.

Well, not no one, but most well grounded people.

Recent history and the future are all that matter. Texas fans are starting to get it. Iowa fans understand it. And most Nebraska fans do as well. Except you, and your tired posts such as the one above.

Is Nebraska going to be in the mix in the future? Yes. Will it ever be as consistent as past years? No. The population base is still small. Smaller than Iowa's actually. And Nebraska is no longer one of 25 teams that recruit nationally. They are now one of about 100. Probably closer to 75 effectively.

We are in 2018. No one cares that Iowa was one game away from the CFP. That was 2015. No one cares that Nebraska won a natty in 1997. That was 1997.

Well, not no one, but most well grounded people.
Spoken like a true Iowa fan.

The state of a college football program is what it’s history says it is, the state of a team is all about present and future.

Will Nebraska get back to pre-2001 wins while competing for conference championships 5 out of ten years? Who knows, but if Wisconsin can do it so can Nebraska. Can Iowa? They’ve never been consistently really good, only occasionally (4 teams in 20 years) have a nationally relevant team and have never been a nationally relevant program.

I’m going to make this as simple as possible as you Iowa fans are slow.....we do not need your opinion about Nebraska football, you cannot relate to us, we have nothing in common, you are our version of ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT