ADVERTISEMENT

Beef

I'm surprised no one has mentioned McLean Beef out of York, NE. After someone on this site recommended them, I've purchased all my steaks from them for the past 5 years. It's better than anything I can buy locally or from a locker. Their dry aging is utterly delightful.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Always grass fed ours and finished in the lot. Always tasted great to me but I'm also not a guy who orders a steak when out. Hard to pay a restaurant for a steak when you have a freezer full of Nebraska steaks.
How many days

Here an opinion that is sure to get some scoffs, a few years back my brother needed a buddy calf for his kids 4h steer so he bought a Holstein calf from a milk operation for 50 bucks, it ate right next to the angus market calf for 16 months. They were both butchered at same time same locker, I was hesitant but its probably the best tasting home raised beef I’ve ever had, and that coming from someone who has raised angus and black baldie cattle all my life. The only caveat was the Holstein did not dress carcass weight as well as the angus calf.

Around 90.
So might I assume, a steer, that you're butchering at 1250 lbs live? At 90 days on full feed they would have to be around 1000 lbs coming off grass. The last 200 lbs is the least efficient in ADG. You can't go from roughage only to full feed overnight. You gotta step them up.

Here's what I've seen from tons of data. You can't just create marbling and tenderness. If you short an animal on energy, which you will do on grass, marbling disappears which is the IMF intermuscular fat. Marbling can but doesn't necessarily translate to tenderness.

Grass fed cattle if called that should never see corn or ethanol byproducts. It's vague just like natural and organic.

Bottom line imo and my decades of doctoral experience from the school of hard knocks, 250 days on feed is the best for prime, certified angus beef, and beef grading choice/prime at 90 to 100%.

But to each their own. I cut my meat with a butter knife or my fork...1 1/2 inch thick. Haven't taken a steak knife out of the box yet. Plus don't have to worry about draining grease off of ground beef.

I'll get off my soapbox....sorry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT