ADVERTISEMENT

With all these RBs, any chance...

Not at this point. Needs to be proven on the field, then that may happen. But I could see some a Johnny Stanton type of performance and someone plummet on the depth chart.

Kinda what I was thinking. Maybe Imani?

Imani Cross is going to be used as an H-Back and in short yardage situations a ton this season. I think people will be impressed with his role this year. Besides, it would be a futile situation to switch him to backer as a senior.

Adam Taylor is going to be a special running back for Nebraska. He would've played a ton last season had he not been injured. He and Newby are going to be the feature backs in 2015.

Stevenson and Wilbon are too small to play linebacker in a Power 5 conference. Both of them will Return kicks and have roles within the passing game.

On a side note, people are forgetting about Luke Gifford at linebacker. He is allegedly up to 6'3 225 right now and faster than he ever was at 205.

Imani Cross is going to be used as an H-Back and in short yardage situations a ton this season. I think people will be impressed with his role this year. Besides, it would be a futile situation to switch him to backer as a senior.

Adam Taylor is going to be a special running back for Nebraska. He would've played a ton last season had he not been injured. He and Newby are going to be the feature backs in 2015.

Stevenson and Wilbon are too small to play linebacker in a Power 5 conference. Both of them will Return kicks and have roles within the passing game.

On a side note, people are forgetting about Luke Gifford at linebacker. He is allegedly up to 6'3 225 right now and faster than he ever was at 205.
What are you seeing that leads you to believe that people will be impressed with imani cross`s role this yr?

yep, veland was a QB. Took practice snaps in 94 at QB after TF and BB got hurt.

What are you seeing that leads you to believe that people will be impressed with imani cross`s role this yr?

IMO, Cross is going to get a chance to play fullback in the NFL. He has the body type of guys like Jerome Felton or even former players like Tony Richardson. That position has largely been marginalized in the NFL because of the development of the tight end.

I;m hearing Nebraska plans on using him in a full back/Hback hybrid role. He will get some carries in short yardage situations out of power formations, be used as a blocker, and even will get the chance to catch the football because its likely opponents will not account for him.

Imani should've never been recruited to play running back in a Tim Beck offense. It was an odd choice for him and Nebraska. I still can;t fathom why Beck would call stretch plays or outside zone runs with Cross on the field. Cross will be utilized accordingly this season and will be a more effective player for the Huskers under Langsdorf.

Reactions: AndyHanline
IMO, Cross is going to get a chance to play fullback in the NFL. He has the body type of guys like Jerome Felton or even former players like Tony Richardson. That position has largely been marginalized in the NFL because of the development of the tight end.

I;m hearing Nebraska plans on using him in a full back/Hback hybrid role. He will get some carries in short yardage situations out of power formations, be used as a blocker, and even will get the chance to catch the football because its likely opponents will not account for him.

Imani should've never been recruited to play running back in a Tim Beck offense. It was an odd choice for him and Nebraska. I still can;t fathom why Beck would call stretch plays or outside zone runs with Cross on the field. Cross will be utilized accordingly this season and will be a more effective player for the Huskers under Langsdorf.

Do you think that will take playing time away from Janovich?

Veland was a quarterback recruit out of Omaha. He was deemed a better use as a strong safety. Great decision. Riley has said every position is open.

Cross is too stiff to play as a modern day linebacker. Especially one trying to learn that position. Straight ahead is his wheelhouse.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Would love to see the FB position actually utilized under HCMR. In the few instances where Cross was sent directly up the gut, I can't say I was overly impressed. He sure looks the part, but looks are ...

The linebackers are going to take care of themselves; we have an influx of speed, size and talent coming right now; serious talent. Imo a running back trying to switch and learn a lb position will have a disadvantage; not too mention they will be rolling down large safeties to lb as necessary or opportunity permits ( multiple articles and part of recruiting philosophy ). Imani is a physical wonder; for a fullback he would be pretty agile and does have some moves.

Gees, dude, it's a good thing you're not a coach, you just don't have a clue. Beck told us all the time you have to call the entire offensive playbook no matter who is on the field to keep the defense honest. Duhhhhh!!!!!!! ;)

The linebackers are going to take care of themselves; we have an influx of speed, size and talent coming right now; serious talent. Imo a running back trying to switch and learn a lb position will have a disadvantage; not too mention they will be rolling down large safeties to lb as necessary or opportunity permits ( multiple articles and part of recruiting philosophy ). Imani is a physical wonder; for a fullback he would be pretty agile and does have some moves.
Not sure if serious. Influx of speed, size, and talent from guys that have zero CFB experience. Will 1, maybe 2, freshman make a meaningful impact? Yes, but beyond that is just not gonna happen. It is very very rare for a true freshman make waves. We are in big trouble at LB.

Not sure if serious. Influx of speed, size, and talent from guys that have zero CFB experience. Will 1, maybe 2, freshman make a meaningful impact? Yes, but beyond that is just not gonna happen. It is very very rare for a true freshman make waves. We are in big trouble at LB.
Esp. With santos leaving.

Thank goodness we have Bray to recruit the position properly.

Going forward, yes. I`m very concerned about this season. We are 1 injury away from a true freshman starting, and that is typically a recipe for disaster

Yes I agree. Several freshman may have to play this season.

That wasn't what I was answering. I would rather have our young linebackers and incoming; than try to convert a rb from scratch ( not winning playing time at rb, and they are going to supplant the others ( lb's) with no experience? ). We all have been discussing what you bring up; certainly on point for the position.

Cross would be a better IB with a QB under center - if we end up doing more of that (which Riley has done in prior jobs) Cross will probably play more. Armstrong is the x factor - we'll have to run what he does best (Cross is not good enough to build the offense around).

my question is more like.. Fullback Anyone?

a position that's been non-existent for the last how many years now..

How many linebackers do we need? Assuming we don't lose multiple guys for multiple games, we could start with a depth chart something like:
WLB: Newby, Gifford, Barry
MLB: Banderas, Rose-Ivey, Weber
SLB: Rose-Ivey, Young, Simpson/Newby

Do we really need to play Ferguson or Talan? I think Talan will be fairly deep on the WLB depth chart, and I'll be a little surprised if Ferguson is ready enough.

I know we're playing more 4-3 than recently, but I hope we play at least some nickel so I don't expect to see the 3d string SLB playing much. We lose Banderas for any length of time and I'm not sure who can move to MLB other than Rose-Ivey, though. Young played a lot of WLB this spring, but I think either Young or Newby might have to play SLB for depth.

Barring a string of injuries or Ferguson and Talan being better than I think I don't see why we play 4 true freshmen at LB. Young almost certainly, spring will help him and he looked ready. Barry probably but not definitely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT