ADVERTISEMENT

Why I believe Matt Rhule deserves a chance

Yeah, well, if we questioned every starting QB for the last 15 yr we would have half the wins we do as the “fan’s choice” has rarely panned out.
You think Haarberg is the ‘fan’s choice’?

Look at this board

“Game manager”, “transfer portal”, etc are rampant

People are literally falling over themselves to post about how HH isn’t the answer

It’s hilarious how a kid from a small town military family who played C1 ball has failed to capture the hearts and imaginations of the dipshit morons on this board who should be ashamed to call themselves Husker fans

embarrassing

Reactions: kbowe1sat
You could also give him a chance cause he’s only coached 3 games…

You could also give him a chance because, who else are we gonna get that's more of a sure thing?

I keep seeing all these posts saying "I'm not sure Rhule is the guy"...okay, then who is? Kirby Smart ain't walkin' through that door. Neither is Nick Saban. Or the ghost of Bob Devaney or TO.

Urban and Deion would have been differentiators, but we missed on both, for whatever reason. Outside of them, literally every other option is pretty much guaranteed to be a toss up at best with Rhule. So, why not ride with Rhule and support him?

You could also give him a chance because, who else are we gonna get that's more of a sure thing?

I keep seeing all these posts saying "I'm not sure Rhule is the guy"...okay, then who is? Kirby Smart ain't walkin' through that door. Neither is Nick Saban. Or the ghost of Bob Devaney or TO.

Urban and Deion would have been differentiators, but we missed on both, for whatever reason. Outside of them, literally every other option is pretty much guaranteed to be a toss up at best with Rhule. So, why not ride with Rhule and support him?
...and thank God we didn't try and get DS. I can't imagine everything Nebraska having to start or end with the word "Prime". The only Prime I need in Nebraska is "Prime Beef"!

Reactions: BleedRed78
...and thank God we didn't try and get DS. I can't imagine everything Nebraska having to start or end with the word "Prime". The only Prime I need in Nebraska is "Prime Beef"!

Hahaha "Prime Nebraska Beef" could have been a hell of a NIL deal though 😂

So, if MR has a way of doing things in his system that proven to work, he should abandon that system after two losses based on fans emotions? Got it!
Not based on fans emotions, based on a QB who can't hold on to the football.

That Minnesota loss was abysmal - Bill Busch has been railing nonstop about how bad Minnesota is and what a horrible loss it was. Said Georgia. St would beat Minnesota

A minimum standard for a new coach is for him to get the team to play to their potential - thus far against the only 2 power 5 teams we have played we have failed to do so

• Haha
No idea what that means

Do you think we played to our potential the first 2 games of the season?
In many ways yes. Not in every way.

You’re right. Thanks to your efforts, and those of other rational posters on this board, I’m beginning to realize that Rhule just isn’t the guy. We should move on. Do we fire him after the season is over, or do a Scott Frost special and can him if we lose to La Tech this weekend?

• Haha
Reactions: Landomatic
In many ways yes. Not in every way.

You’re right. Thanks to your efforts, and those of other rational posters on this board, I’m beginning to realize that Rhule just isn’t the guy. We should move on. Do we fire him after the season is over, or do a Scott Frost special and can him if we lose to La Tech this weekend?
Not at all. Very early in the year …hoping we play to our potential the rest of the year.
Rhule is going to be the guy for at minimum 3-5 years. We can hope things get turned around but that doesn’t mean he isn’t above reproach.
We haven’t gone to a bowl in 6 years - that is approximately 90 practices and 6 games - that is the equivalent of forfeiting 6 entire spring camps for this program

We need to get to 6 wins and a bowl to get these extra practices, it hurts when your margin of error to get to 6 wins is razor thin and you throw away a win in the first game of season late in the 4th particularly when finishing games has been a focus of the staff

If you are going to be a developmental program few things hamper development more than forfeiting 2 extra weeks of practice

Not at all. Very early in the year …hoping we play to our potential the rest of the year.
Rhule is going to be the guy for at minimum 3-5 years. We can hope things get turned around but that doesn’t mean he isn’t above reproach.
We haven’t gone to a bowl in 6 years - that is approximately 90 practices and 6 games - that is the equivalent of forfeiting 6 entire spring camps for this program

We need to get to 6 wins and a bowl to get these extra practices, it hurts when your margin of error to get to 6 wins is razor thin and you throw away a win in the first game of season late in the 4th particularly when finishing games has been a focus of the staff

If you are going to be a developmental program few things hamper development more than forfeiting 2 extra weeks of practice
Also, if you’re going to be a developmental program, don’t be surprised if we give a game away.

You can’t have it both ways. Either be seasoned enough out of the gates that you are already developed, or understand these things are going to happen.

The biggest frustration is that the reason it happened is because of a veteran. That’s a kick in the gut, I’ll give you that.

Also, if you’re going to be a developmental program, don’t be surprised if we give a game away.

You can’t have it both ways. Either be seasoned enough out of the gates that you are already developed, or understand these things are going to happen.

The biggest frustration is that the reason it happened is because of a veteran. That’s a kick in the gut, I’ll give you that.
I think Rhule, in this case was his own worst enemy. If you address the depth chart by simply saying Grant needs to clean a few things up in practice then the fumble sucks but isn’t as big a deal. But if you are going to outright tell the media he is having fumbling issues and then he is on the field while you are trying to close out a game and fumbles you are going to get blasted and deserve to

He has hurt himself with being a bit over the top with the Sims praise as well.

Sometimes a little generic coach speak can be a good thing

Reactions: timnsun
Apart from the role Sims has played, I do feel like we have played pretty well. Defense has been lights out, but offense has a ways to go. Even so, at worst we should be 2-1, and you could make the case for 3-0 if we simply take care of the ball.

If Sims is in, he better show that he can take care of the ball or he better be benched. If Sims plays and turns it over multiple times again, and still stays in, Rhule should be roasted.

I like the fact that his teams have had more discipline and he’s playing a lot of kids. Or in other words, a lot of kids are ready to play. Past teams sometimes didn’t seem to even have 11 on the field who were ready to play.

Apart from the role Sims has played, I do feel like we have played pretty well. Defense has been lights out, but offense has a ways to go. Even so, at worst we should be 2-1, and you could make the case for 3-0 if we simply take care of the ball.

If Sims is in, he better show that he can take care of the ball or he better be benched. If Sims plays and turns it over multiple times again, and still stays in, Rhule should be roasted.
It's not just the turnovers for me with Sims though. At some he actually needs to lead us on scoring drives or what was the point in bringing in an experienced veteran out of the portal?

He was willing to make a change at QB so he deserves credit for that. Some would argue that he should have made the change last week vs Colorado. However, I will give Rhule the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he chalked up Sims performance against Minnesota as first game jitters and was willing to give him another chance to redeem himself vs Colorado. When Sims didn't meet expectations, he made the decision to start a different QB, so I think he deserves credit for that.

Sims is injured. Easy decision.

I like the fact that his teams have had more discipline and he’s playing a lot of kids. Or in other words, a lot of kids are ready to play. Past teams sometimes didn’t seem to even have 11 on the field who were ready to play.
Only playing a lot of kids on defense

Brilliant, its best to "give him a chance" because he gets $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, if we don't !!!! Thus, he IS our guy unless you're picking up the tab sir !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT