ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday, March 16th: Nebraska vs New Mexico State - (Huskers win 6-5)

This is my first season with B10+. Was yesterday a fluke or should I expect technical difficulties throughout the season?

This is my first season with B10+. Was yesterday a fluke or should I expect technical difficulties throughout the season?
Thing is, the radio went dead at the same time (I mute the video and listen to the radio) so it must have been somehow connected. Radio did come back sooner but had the sound of coming over phone lines or something. It was a fluke but there are other issues.

Depending on the venue...
A single camera somewhere behind home plate at some ballparks.
Forget about replays.
Student broadcaster (with or without a partner) needing much, much more experience.
The occasional student broadcaster who doesn't show up on time so, silent video for an inning or two.
Camera work.... (SMDH). Expect to miss critical action.
When there are replays it's, many times, the same camera and view you just saw live.

Illinois was exceptionally good but it was all student production at most places last year and before.

Reactions: YellowLabHusker
Thing is, the radio went dead at the same time (I mute the video and listen to the radio) so it must have been somehow connected. Radio did come back sooner but had the sound of coming over phone lines or something. It was a fluke but there are other issues.

Forget about replays.
Student broadcaster (with or without a partner) needing much, much more experience.
The occasional student broadcaster who doesn't show up on time so, silent video for an inning or two.
When there are replays it's, many times, the same camera and view you just saw live.

Illinois was exceptionally good but it was all student production at most places last year and before.
I'll add... What they basically do is leave it up to the host university to handle the broadcast. Nebraska puts a ton of effort into it and it's a good product generally, that's the first outage I can remember for a home game.

On the road, other universities do the absolute bare minimum and just put up a single camera and don't even have announcers or a scorebox on screen.

It really varies.

I'll add... What they basically do is leave it up to the host university to handle the broadcast. Nebraska puts a ton of effort into it and it's a good product generally, that's the first outage I can remember for a home game.

On the road, other universities do the absolute bare minimum and just put up a single camera and don't even have announcers or a scorebox on screen.

It really varies.
I wish NU just piped in their radio guys instead of having random college kids call it.

I’m anti BTN+ And just go radio when I’m not able to attend the games. I envy the love the SEC gives their baseball.

Agreed but it gives broadcast majors a chance to practice their skills.
99% of the kids I've listened to on BTN+ need to pick a new major.
I'm sure there are some local high school games where they can gain experience, perhaps get promoted to midweek college broadcasts. Frankly, this is one of those things which sets the conferences which truly care about baseball apart from the likes of the Big Ten.

I hope for some of them their career goal is more behind the scenes than behind the mic 😳

The play-by-play guy on Wednesday had no idea what he was talking about. Twice he said we "stole home" when we scored on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly. It's not a "DEEP fly ball to right" when the rightfielder comes in on the ball to make the catch. They were both clueless on the confusing bunt play.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
I'm sure there are some local high school games where they can gain experience, perhaps get promoted to midweek college broadcasts. Frankly, this is one of those things which sets the conferences which truly care about baseball apart from the likes of the Big Ten.

Our local American Legion team does a better job with broadcasts than most B1G teams. And you don't have to pay to watch/listen to those games.

Forget about replays.

PSU is the absolute worst. One camera which doesn't move other than to zoom in or zoom out. There are times when you're not going to see anyone but the pitcher, catcher, and batter. Even the home plate umpire can't be seen.

Reactions: sklarbodds
I hope for some of them their career goal is more behind the scenes than behind the mic 😳
Most of them aren't qualified to do anything besides sell peanuts at a a ballgame. Although that dude that showed up halfway through the game last year showed some promise...

• Haha
He got two errors on that play, right?
First the bobble and then the throw.
Hmm... Maybe... For some reason I don't think so tho as a good throw might have completed the play? I think to get two errors it has to be on two different plays. Maybe I'm wrong tho

Hmm... Maybe... For some reason I don't think so tho as a good throw might have completed the play? I think to get two errors it has to be on two different plays. Maybe I'm wrong tho
They gave him a fielding error that allowed the batter to reach and a throwing error that allowed the second run to score on the play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT