ADVERTISEMENT

We really need a big year

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
Yes I know it is year one and Riley deserves time to get settled and all. But here is the thing:

We need more than gradual improvement we need a break out year. Something to put NU back on the map. This year is a much better candidate then next year, we get WI and MSU at home and Miami and Minn on the road.

Next year we play Oregon and then have WI, and OSU away, that is a tough schedule no matter who you are. We need to serve notice on the Big10 this year that we are a force to be reckoned with. By that I mean beating WI and MSU and playing a competitive game against TOSU in a title game.

We can ill afford to get blown out by anyone this year and we also must hold home field advantage. That means not losing to BYU nor to WI

If not, now when is the magic going to happen? next year doubtful. NU fans are not going to be overly thrilled to hear "Its a process again" we need to instill confidence into the program this year not next

Reactions: huskerj12
If we get better QB play than I expect and we have good health at a couple of positions where we have no depth the schedule has a lot of winnable games. Nearly all our toughest games are at home.

If we get better QB play than I expect and we have good health at a couple of positions where we have no depth the schedule has a lot of winnable games. Nearly all our toughest games are at home.

QB play is the key for me, and it must improve drastically. We don't have Ameer to fall back on to carry the team in between blindfolded chuck down field.

Hopefully Riley and staff can deliver.

I ask myself what are reasonable expectations. Really, to play better which should translate into more wins. I think going undefeated up to the CC is highly unlikely (but would be awesome). 8, 9, or 10 wins looks more reasonable to me as a likely outcome.

We haven't played our first game yet. Riley intends to modify his offense to better fit the players. Does that mean Riley would like to throw the ball 40 times per game, but instead will settle for 39 pass attempts? Or does it mean throwing slants and fades vs corner routes? Will there be players that emerge as stars? I don't know, and I am looking forward to watching the team play.

QB play is the key for me, and it must improve drastically. We don't have Ameer to fall back on to carry the team in between blindfolded chuck down field.
One could argue that if the O-Line becomes a force (and the defense is serviceable), most games can be won without Ameer or throwing downfield.

If everything stays the same and all we get is better QB & O-line play, it'll result in 2 more wins per year. Then hope the team can improve as a whole with just better talent from better recruiting and suddenly you're competing for the B1G each year, which means you're competing for a playoff spot.

Our schedule is awful this year again. 9 wins should be the minimum. We get the 2 toughest games at home. MR and Team need to just take care of business and beat some asphalt.

Yes I know it is year one and Riley deserves time to get settled and all. But here is the thing:

We need more than gradual improvement we need a break out year. Something to put NU back on the map. This year is a much better candidate then next year, we get WI and MSU at home and Miami and Minn on the road.

Next year we play Oregon and then have WI, and OSU away, that is a tough schedule no matter who you are. We need to serve notice on the Big10 this year that we are a force to be reckoned with. By that I mean beating WI and MSU and playing a competitive game against TOSU in a title game.

We can ill afford to get blown out by anyone this year and we also must hold home field advantage. That means not losing to BYU nor to WI

If not, now when is the magic going to happen? next year doubtful. NU fans are not going to be overly thrilled to hear "Its a process again" we need to instill confidence into the program this year not next
We would all love to have that break out year, but if there are some early lumps, but then a sign of the team coming together, playing competitive and winning some late games that maybe they shouldn't, I would be OK with that. My main goal for this season is to see improvement so the team is playing BETTER at the end of the year than they were at the beginning of the year. I want to feel hope that another year of continued improvement will put Nebraska back into competing for conference titles.

Of course, I don't want to lose any of them, but based on the culture (or lack there of) of the previous regime, I'm not of the belief that this season is going to be all rosy. I think we'll stumble a time or two, likely early on. But if the team sticks to it, and sees that there is a payoff by working hard and believing in the system, great things can happen in the following year.

Let's face it, if the previous coaching staff was still around, we would give Nebraska a 0% chance at even competing with an Oregon. I don't think that has to be the case now that we actually have a coaching staff who can game plan AND adjust mid-game. Simply listening to Riley during the Championship game on TV told me more about his coaching acumen than anything I'd ever heard or seen from the previous coach.

People need to define what they mean by big year.

Mike Riley could have a big year in the media losing three games (Miami, BYU, and MSU) and putting the whooping on Wisconsin. Nebraska folks probably wouldn't feel the same. If he only lost two of those games (Miami and MSU), I think most Nebraska fans would take it along with a woodshedding of Wisky. Then we'd kind of have to steel ourselves about playing OSU in the title game in either scenario.

I think only the most unfounded fans are expecting to have this team in year one, to be ready to compete squarely with OSU as the standard. We may get lucky and win the game, but I think 9 times out of 10 its a game we lose at this stage.

Benning said he had a 6/10 level of concern about the offense. That's not insignificant in terms of setting expectations, we could have a Hoosiers season, but we're probably looking at no hardware again this year, and hopefully visible improvements in consistency, execution, and playing on a big stage for four quarters.

To go with the comment above that HCMR can coach in B!G games, his team lost 37-36 two years ago against a top Oregon team; says a lot. I think he has taken his staff up another level through maturity and addition.... A WH article today . put our road win % since 2000; not much above 50% - so lets keep that in mind / room for huge improvement.

Interesting that OP would post this. Amazing how the bar moved up for those who were last on the Botanic, when they were fine with trusting the alleged minimal progress Bo had displayed in a lot of areas.

I love that Riley and this staff gets a shot at Oregon in year two. I can only imagine how happy they'll be if they win that game.

I love that Riley and this staff gets a shot at Oregon in year two. I can only imagine how happy they'll be if they win that game.

I imagine Frost would be even happier to win that game. HCMR may not have liked playing second fiddle to Oregon, but to my knowledge they never passed him over for a job he wanted.

A few of the betting entities have just come out or reduced the over / under on N victories for this year. They are coming in at 7.5 and 8; not up to this boards expectations. Not sure why one big entity dropped from 8 to 7.5; not sure what they can discern from summer work outs. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT