78. Penn State
82. Purdue
91. Rutgers
92. Iowa
97. Maryland
98. Minnesota
123. Michigan
150. Illinois

Wasn't there a thread about RPI last week? I recall someone giving scenario's where even a loss to NU left UN with a top 10 (or so) RPI?

I mentioned how Iowa's 1 loss to NU tanked their RPI and was told it wouldn't happen to UN. I doubted it but the explanation sounded convincing. How can there be so much misinformation out there in this day and age?

How far does it drop now just having to play Purdue?

It's a shame that one loss to a low RPI team can tank it so much, can really be the difference between regional or not for some teams. It shouldn't be like that in my opinion.

Michigan State for example, they were 29 in the RPI before their Sunday loss to Purdue. After the loss their RPI sits at 40.

It also didn't help that the 5 teams that NU played non con series against went 4-11 last weekend.

It's a shame that one loss to a low RPI team can tank it so much, can really be the difference between regional or not for some teams. It shouldn't be like that in my opinion.

Michigan State for example, they were 29 in the RPI before their Sunday loss to Purdue. After the loss their RPI sits at 40.

Bad things happened to MSU Sunday. There are three components to RPI and they took a hit in the 1st one and two hits in the 2nd one. Those two are 3/4th of RPI, right?

A home loss is bad - counts as 1.3 loss in RPI counting. Pretty much wiped out their two Fri/Sat wins. Came away with a .519 weekend record as RPI counts it. Their record before Friday was .614 so this weekend dragged on that.

Next, their SOS took a major hit. Two different problems hit their SOS. The 1st is Purdue's awful W/L record got added to MSU's body of opponents. That's a hit. If you beat them, boosting your own W/L, you can balance off that hit but MSU lost, so...

And then, their SOS took a 2nd hit as their 25 prior opponents went 10 - 15 on Sunday. That's .400, so the field went .600 vs MSU's opponents.

It all adds up.

Wasn't there a thread about RPI last week? I recall someone giving scenario's where even a loss to NU left UN with a top 10 (or so) RPI?

I mentioned how Iowa's 1 loss to NU tanked their RPI and was told it wouldn't happen to UN. I doubted it but the explanation sounded convincing. How can there be so much misinformation out there in this day and age?

How far does it drop now just having to play Purdue?

Can you find that thread? Nebraska's best RPI was 12 and there was no way to hang onto that going into the NW series. It was a fluke and was going to come back down on it's own. Had we swept NW, our RPI would be low 20s right now. Not far from our well earned 20 RPI before the spike.

If we sweep Purdue, we should be able to hang about where we are, all other things being equal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT