ADVERTISEMENT

Walk-On Program: Dead?

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Ok, not dead, but on life support? Sharp and Benning had some great commentary on it this morning. Are the traditional walk-ons we're just to having passing us by for Ohio, South Dakota State, etc.? College is expensive, for one thing. Another, walk-ons used to be attracted to Nebraska to be part of something special like winning championships, national championships, etc. Not exactly there recently.

If we start winning championships, do those kids we lost to South Dakota State start looking back at us as a walk-on?

I think it will be more difficult for a walk on to get a scholarship with the new 4 year schollie, so to me, it has a negative side effect for the walk on program.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
A lot has changed in the last 15-30 yrs. Cost of school being a big one. Graduate without debt by getting school paid for or try to walkon and pay for school has to be a much bigger factor. Combine that with the known fact that most walkon's will likely never make the 2 deep roster needed to get a scholly, the tremendous amount of time that any athlete will devout to the sport, and the fact that we're not winning titles and yes, the popularity of our walkon program has likely diminished.

It's still a very important part of our program, and always will be...just not as prevalent as it was 20+yrs ago.

GBR

I'd be interested to see what the walk on programs were like at other D1 Schools. I agree. College is expensive, and the kids that are good want to play. NDSU has been a dynasty lately. Lots of championships and killer fan support.

The best way to cure the walk-on program is to win. If we start winning championships the kids will want to go to Nebraska again. At this point we aren't as attractive as we used to be. Agree with other comments above as well.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
The best way to cure the walk-on program is to win. If we start winning championships the kids will want to go to Nebraska again. At this point we aren't as attractive as we used to be. Agree with other comments above as well.

Haven't won a conference championship is 16 years. Kids today haven't grown up with Nebraska being consistently relevant.

We also for years didnt have a "Tom Osborne" coaching tree, because he didn't have many assistants leave. Well Frank was fired and moved on. Bohl gets fired and moved on. Gill gets shown the door and moves on. There's finally coaches with ties to the state who can take advantage of Nebraska's decline.

I also agree on the costs of college which have far outpaced inflation.

Let's put this in some perspective here. I count about 60 players on the current roster who at least started their career as walk-ons. So maybe the quality of walk-ons has gone down some with players who used to walk-on now choosing to accept scholarships to lower division schools. But 60 walk-ons on the current roster says that the idea that the walk-on program is dead or on life support is demonstrably wrong. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of players still willing to pay their own way to play for the Big Red.

I don't think its dead. How can you state its dead or even on life support with guys like Gangwish,
Reilly, Hovey, Burtch, Trey Foster, Utter, & Foltz are very much in the thick of it for 2 deep recognition. Is it going to change under MR, yep, drastically. Bo was taking about double the kids Riley took as walk-ons in 2015.

A lot can be read into that. Maybe he couldn't put a large group together because he just didn't have the time. Maybe Cotton got into the ear of some kids and told them to "take the free ride" @ SDSU vs walking on (as he previously was recruiting them to do). Maybe MR is like BC in that aspect, that he doesn't want to waist his time recruiting Walk-Ons. Bo had a love for walk-ons. He loved a feel good story about a blue collar kid working his way into the mix and honestly this was a major flaw by Bo because he also became bias and jaded toward players... Bo also had Cotton. Love Barn or hate him but the guy was pretty solid at finding walk-ons. I don't think MR has a Barney Cotton to recruit walk-ons and I don't think he cares about it at the level Bo did.

I mean MR hired Chris Brasfield to run the walk-on program. Chris being a guy from Texas who had probable never recruited NU one day in his whole life let alone probably never stepped foot inside the state before he was hired. How's that make sense to hire this guy to find Nebraska kids to walk-on. I really hope it works out but to me, that was MR finding a job for Brasfield and keeping the Corvallis mafia together.

I haven't been a BO find since 2010. I NEVER liked Barney as a coach. But I give them their due when it comes to building up the walk-on program.

And no, the decrease isn't just about the cost of college. Not every kid from Nebraska is too poor and cant find other means to pay for school. There are a ton of kids in Nebraska who can find ways to pay for school at UNL other then on a scholarship. Many kids want to play big time college football. This is their shot. Many are willing to give it a try for a year or two. And no the program isn't dead. It just isn't as big of a part of the program as it was under Bo & TO. Those guys loved the walk-on program. Jury still out on MR

I don't think its dead. How can you state its dead or even on life support with guys like Gangwish,
Reilly, Hovey, Burtch, Trey Foster, Utter, & Foltz are very much in the thick of it for 2 deep recognition. Is it going to change under MR, yep, drastically. Bo was taking about double the kids Riley took as walk-ons in 2015.

A lot can be read into that. Maybe he couldn't put a large group together because he just didn't have the time. Maybe Cotton got into the ear of some kids and told them to "take the free ride" @ SDSU vs walking on (as he previously was recruiting them to do). Maybe MR is like BC in that aspect, that he doesn't want to waist his time recruiting Walk-Ons. Bo had a love for walk-ons. He loved a feel good story about a blue collar kid working his way into the mix and honestly this was a major flaw by Bo because he also became bias and jaded toward players... Bo also had Cotton. Love Barn or hate him but the guy was pretty solid at finding walk-ons. I don't think MR has a Barney Cotton to recruit walk-ons and I don't think he cares about it at the level Bo did.

I mean MR hired Chris Brasfield to run the walk-on program. Chris being a guy from Texas who had probable never recruited NU one day in his whole life let alone probably never stepped foot inside the state before he was hired. How's that make sense to hire this guy to find Nebraska kids to walk-on. I really hope it works out but to me, that was MR finding a job for Brasfield and keeping the Corvallis mafia together.

I haven't been a BO find since 2010. I NEVER liked Barney as a coach. But I give them their due when it comes to building up the walk-on program.

And no, the decrease isn't just about the cost of college. Not every kid from Nebraska is too poor and cant find other means to pay for school. There are a ton of kids in Nebraska who can find ways to pay for school at UNL other then on a scholarship. Many kids want to play big time college football. This is their shot. Many are willing to give it a try for a year or two. And no the program isn't dead. It just isn't as big of a part of the program as it was under Bo & TO. Those guys loved the walk-on program. Jury still out on MR
How the heck do you know what the walk-on program is going to be under Riley? He's only had one short recruiting season. Nobody knows what the walk-on program is going to be like under Riley and it's very presumptuous of you to assume that you do. This sounds like just a way for you to make a gratuitous attack against him-a very unfair one.

dude, really?

The %'s of making the team as a significant contributor aren't very good as a general walk on. Combine that with DOUBLE the tuition costs or more in the last 15 yrs and yes, I believe that is a major factor for kid's deciding today. Many walkon's hang around for a 1-2 yrs and then re-assess the situation. The success of NDSU/SDSU and other lower than D1 schools regionally has hurt too (many with state coaching ties).

No clue on how MR's staff will do in this area. They do seem smart enough to understand the general importance it has to our state and program history, and I think they'll genuinely do their best in this regard.

GBR

IMO the 85 scholarship limit has had a lot to do with this. Kids want to play & will elect to drop down or go somewhere else. I still think we have the best walkon program in the country but the ays of IM Hipp are numbered.

Ok, not dead, but on life support? Sharp and Benning had some great commentary on it this morning. Are the traditional walk-ons we're just to having passing us by for Ohio, South Dakota State, etc.? College is expensive, for one thing. Another, walk-ons used to be attracted to Nebraska to be part of something special like winning championships, national championships, etc. Not exactly there recently.

If we start winning championships, do those kids we lost to South Dakota State start looking back at us as a walk-on?
Lots of good commentary in this thread. First, it is about championships. We aren't as special as we used to be. Second, recruiting services have made quality walk-ons obsolete. There are just fewer and fewer diamonds in the rough. I am believing, however, that Riley can find these guys.

Last edited:
In today's era of camps, videos, recruiting services, and social media, players who a decade or two ago would be able fly under the radar with the mid-major programs and walk-on and contribute to the Nebraska's of the world are now getting scholarship offers and developing and playing for those mid-majors.

I know Ohio State bring on preferred walk-ons from good highschool programs and with decent credentials. But I only hear about them occasionally when they earn a one year scholarship that is unexpectedly available, at the Spring Game, and on Senior Day.

In those days some NE walk-ons became starters because of the weightlifting they did even prior to becoming a Husker. But today kids from all over come in having lifted and it seems the instate walk-ons rarely make an impact besides helping the team prepare for opponents on the practice squad.

As already stated, 4 year guaranteed schollies don't help at all. Now teams force themselves to keep on kids who have no shot at playing, and don't try to get good enough to play. It is hard to listen to people complain about perceived walk-on slights when they yammer on and on about how 4-year guarantees are good.

The %'s of making the team as a significant contributor aren't very good as a general walk on. Combine that with DOUBLE the tuition costs or more in the last 15 yrs and yes, I believe that is a major factor for kid's deciding today. Many walkon's hang around for a 1-2 yrs and then re-assess the situation. The success of NDSU/SDSU and other lower than D1 schools regionally has hurt too (many with state coaching ties).

No clue on how MR's staff will do in this area. They do seem smart enough to understand the general importance it has to our state and program history, and I think they'll genuinely do their best in this regard.

GBR
So what are the chances of contributing if you are a scholarship player

Someone has the stat but seems to me only 50-60 % even stay on the the team let alone contribute

So what are the chances of contributing if you are a scholarship player

Someone has the stat but seems to me only 50-60 % even stay on the the team let alone contribute

Again, going to the 4 year schollie changes things

How the heck do you know what the walk-on program is going to be under Riley? He's only had one short recruiting season. Nobody knows what the walk-on program is going to be like under Riley and it's very presumptuous of you to assume that you do. This sounds like just a way for you to make a gratuitous attack against him-a very unfair one.

I mean MR hired Chris Brasfield to run the walk-on program. Chris being a guy from Texas who had never recruited NU one day in his whole life let alone probably never stepped foot inside the state before he was hired. How's that make sense to hire this guy to find Nebraska kids to walk-on. I really hope it works out but to me, that was MR finding a job for Brasfield and keeping the Corvallis mafia together.

Replying for two reasons.

1. On my browser it says I like the post that this excerpt came from. I guess I accidentally hit like on this, and can't take it back...but I don't like it.

2. I was at the Big Red Football Coaches Clinic. Met Chris Brasfield and briefly talked to him. I was very impressed as I watched him circulate among the high school coaches in attendance. There was a point, after talking to him during the practice part of the clinic, where I just watched him for a little bit, going from group to group and at least having a brief introduction, if not having a longer chat. I had previously read negative reactions to his hiring on this board, and the camp is the point where I went from not being overly concerned about his ability to do the job, to actively disagreeing with those reactions.

I never did understand this reaction to his hiring. The guy has recruited previously. Nebraska kids play the same game as players in other states, so talent evaluation shouldn't be an issue. You can learn coach's names and find schools on a map, so an intimate knowledge of Nebraska High Schools isn't the highest of priorities for this job, to me. To me, it's finding someone with college recruiting experience and has the personality to sell kids (and their coaches/parents) on joining a larger program where they might not have the financial incentive that the smaller programs are offering. That's it. You can pick up knowledge, but some personality traits you're just born with.

I'm aware that that's a false dichotomy (either Nebraska ties or the experience/personality...surely someone can think of an example that has it all), but I'd rather Riley pick someone he's comfortable with finding what he wants for walk-ons, as opposed to just finding the "Dean of Nebraska High School Football Coaches" and hiring him.

I am writing this for two reasons...

1. Yossarian, i liked your post because I liked your post. :)

2. If you click on the like button again it should remove the 'like' on Spinner4's post.

Reactions: Yossarian23

You mention all those players that are walk ons in the two deep right now. Yes that HAS to change under MR that is way way too many walk ons competing for playing time. That is not being mean to the walk on kids, it just is what it is. This shows more of how the previous staff missed on recruiting, or were lazy, and were not the best developers of talent. Now I am all for certain specialty positions like Punter or Kicker having some quality walk ons at those spots as we can probably find local guys to do that. But if we are having walk ons vying for playing time in the 2 deep at multiple positions like we have now, that is more of a negative than a positive if we are wanting to compete for B10 championships or even winning our side.

Having some walk ons in spots is nice, but we have far too many right now that are competing for PT and that is directly related to the short falls of the previous staff. It is not like the state of NU is crawling with overlooked D1 talent.

I am writing this for two reasons...

1. Yossarian, i liked your post because I liked your post. :)

2. If you click on the like button again it should remove the 'like' on Spinner4's post.

Oh, you mean on the big box that says "unlike", that I completely over looked until you posted? [Sigh] As my mom would say, "if it was a snake, it would have bit you".

Thanks.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT