ADVERTISEMENT

Top 40 Team????

baseball31ne

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 8, 2002
Nebraska is rqanked 40th in the latest RPI numbers. I know that it is early in the year and things might not stay so rosy once the conference season kicks off but hey it is a sign that things are getting better in Lincoln.

This team and coaching staff is a breath of fresh air. It is so nice to see a team that actually has a mission on offense. This team may not win very many games in conference, but the difference is night and day compared to the last 2 regimes.

could you post the link on this.

This maybe to do to the gap in the kenpom and rpi rankings. I wrote an article on this and Espn wrote an article on this called "schedualball". In it it explained that Miles is one who exploits this gap to gain a higer ranking. I think what you are seeing, if this is correct, it refelectve of that.

Do you have a link to the ESPN article or would you mind posting yours. I am interested in the read but am unable to find anything. Thanks

I wish we were a top 40 team, but I cannot believe it. That said, this team is certainly exceeding my expecations to this point. The next three games will tell us much, much more.

I, too, wish we were a top forty team. I dont think that, with the talent the Huskers have, they are a top 60 team. It was hard watching Oregon play with us. The Huskers dont have many athletes at all and we know that athletes win games. I like Tim Miles from a professional stand point but his 286-222 record is probably not what a program seeking to move to the "elite" status is looking for. I hope I am wrong. For several years I have looked at the Butler program and felt that hiring their coach might have been the answer, especially since the new arena will be a big positive for a name coach as well as name athletes. I also wondered if Nebraska has ever contacted Dana Altman as a possibility. He turned a really below average Oregon team around is a short period of time.
I think 3 conference wins is about what the Huskers can expect this year. I hope I am wrong.

Originally posted by huskeru:
I like Tim Miles from a professional stand point but his 286-222 record is probably not what a program seeking to move to the "elite" status is looking for. I hope I am wrong.
I think that you need to dig deeper than just his overall record and look at where he started with each program and look at where they were when he left. He did a building job at almost every program that he was at and it seems like they were in much better shape when he left than when he first got there. I think that is what we need here. Someone to take a perenial loser and build it from the ground up. `

Originally posted by kaz36:
Originally posted by huskeru:
I like Tim Miles from a professional stand point but his 286-222 record is probably not what a program seeking to move to the "elite" status is looking for. I hope I am wrong.
I think that you need to dig deeper than just his overall record and look at where he started with each program and look at where they were when he left. He did a building job at almost every program that he was at and it seems like they were in much better shape when he left than when he first got there. I think that is what we need here. Someone to take a perenial loser and build it from the ground up. `
^This

Miles has taken over some absolute dumpster fire programs. Places that no sane recruit would ever think about going and has turned them into contenders. I'd bet that if you factor out the "first years" from the record where Miles has essentially gutted the team to be able to get "his guys" in, it gets substantially better. I'm 100% confident that if any coach in the country can build Nebraska into a sustained contender AND not bolt for another job at first offer, it is Tim Miles.

To give you an example....when Miles first got to CSU he had so few players he had open tryouts (like he did here). He went 0-17 in the MWC that 1st year. 4 years later they made the 2nd round of the NCAA.

Give Miles some time. This year no doubt will be brutal. But he has 3 decent RS guys sitting on the bench and a nice class (Webster, Fuller and Hawkins) coming in. Next year they will be extremely young, but I bet by year 3 or 4 we are close to a middle of the pack team in the Big 10 and thats good enough to at least be on the bubble. I for one love what Miles is doing in his short time here.

I see you guys as being a team that will give their best every game.

Especially at home. You guys beat IU at home last year, and I could see it happening again. IU's team, while playing good, is not up to where I thought they would be at this point.

Re: I see you guys as being a team that will give their best every game.

I see NO way nebby beats Iu at home or anywhere in the country this season. Did you see their game against Wiscy?
Originally posted by rex.manning:
Especially at home. You guys beat IU at home last year, and I could see it happening again. IU's team, while playing good, is not up to where I thought they would be at this point.

This post was edited on 1/7 7:36 AM by Amber_Hoosier_fan

Re: I see you guys as being a team that will give their best every game.

Originally posted by Amber_Hoosier_fan:
I see NO way nebby beats Iu at home or anywhere in the country this season. Did you see their game against Wiscy?

Originally posted by rex.manning:

This post was edited on 1/7 7:36 AM by Amber_Hoosier_fan
Maybe Nebraska can score the first basket of the game? I would consider that a win.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT