ADVERTISEMENT

The Riley Factor

Andy Staples is such a D. "There's just not much to do in Lincoln, Nebraska on a Saturday in April." Yeah, because Manhattan, Kansas; Ames, Iowa; Columbia, Missouri; West Lafayette, Indiana are all entertainment meccas compared to Lincoln.

There is stuff to do anywhere you live if you look for it. I hate that saying. What I hear is, "I'm not creative enough to entertain myself and need others to plan an event for me to attend so I don't sit at home all night doing nuttin".

There is stuff to do anywhere you live if you look for it. I hate that saying. What I hear is, "I'm not creative enough to entertain myself and need others to plan an event for me to attend so I don't sit at home all night doing nuttin".
I've always hated the "There is nothing to do in ______" saying too, because usually it's not true. It's often true for small towns, but for cities the size of Lincoln, there is plenty of stuff to do, you just have to look. It's just a lazy way to either criticize or make a point.

Lincoln is a pretty nice college town that is not near an ocean or a major metro area. That puts it in the same boat as most major universities. These kids are pretty busy with football and classes for a big chunk of hours in any week during the year. Does it really matter where they are doing it?

And you can get too Omaha and past other areas ( Sarpy) in about 45 minutes - thats quick. Takes much longer to get anywhere in most areas of the country. Lots to do in the Metro and more; they are students; What can't you do ? Cher? Mccartney / Ringo ; on and on?

Lost in the arguments above (about sleepy old Lincoln, Neb) is that this article is a positive look at Nebraska. Want some hope for the future? Hope you haven't had for a long time? Give it a read. To illustrate the culture shift, look no further:

"At the end of the day Bo was the only one who gave a shit about us. You think Eichorst or Pearlman gave a shit? All they care about is $$$

— Matthew Finnin (@StepDaddyFinnin) November 30, 2014"

"I can guarantee not one of us has ever even had a conversation with either of them."

— Matthew Finnin (@StepDaddyFinnin) November 30, 2014

Contrast that with:

"There’s an argument to be made Pelini took the us-against-the-world mentality too far, picking fights with administrators and making it clear that this was his program. With Riley in charge, Eichorst ducks into coaches’ meetings and mills about chatting with recruits. “The approach and core values at Nebraska—hard work, respect, humbleness, loyalty, trust—those beliefs are Mike’s beliefs,” Eichorst says. “His zest and zeal for life … it’s been uplifting for our whole department.”

Our future is bright. Go buy some sunglasses.

ADVERTISEMENT