ADVERTISEMENT

sugar is poison

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatoon Canada
And our own government is behind it. Watching netflix, a documentary named fed up, everyone needs to watch it. Sugar is basically the cause of most major diseases and it gets worse. If you worry about your own life and if you have kids, you need to watch this documentary. Calories, fats, cholesterol, nothing compares to the poison that is sugar. Its proven that sugar is more addictive than cocaine, heroine, and we are feeding this crap to our infant babies! We are overdosing our kids on it everyday! Educate yourselves and make smart choices, thats the only cure. Avoid sugar at all costs.

Reactions: Redwalla
This is about diabetes, cancer, and dementia. Not just being fat. All caused by sugar abuse and sugar addiction and it being in 80% of our food. Would you give your infant child cocaine? No. Sugar is just as bad and MORE addictive.

I watched South Park and learned that eating gluten makes a man's junk shoot off from his body like a bottle rocket.

I hiked a fast 5 miler/1000ft this morning, then dug out a stump and planted a seven-gallon tree in the hole this afternoon. I had a slice of chocolate cake this evening as my reward. Like someone else said, everything in moderation.

It's not some exciting secret that sugar is bad for you. Especially in large doses. If your take-home message is to skip the soda and the fruit juice and all the things that have loads of sugar, or added sugar, then that's great! Although by skip I only mean "use in moderation".

Surely you aren't going to stop eating fruits -- that's fructose. Or bread.

I'm glad you feel you got educated, but maybe come down off the conspiration bent. If the take-home is railing about government conspiracies and buzzwords like "poison" and "toxic" -- oxygen is toxic! -- then maybe you are a little too excited about this documentary. Just my two cents.

Here's a Scientific American article for further reading, if you are interested: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/ It's good if you are, although please don't go hunting down every paleoliving.blogspot Google hit and then following those "articles" like they're the word of God, either.

Apologies if I came off harsh in my first post. I am quite skeptical of putting so much stock in documentaries. I'm sure they are well intentioned, but they can be 90-minute echo chambers, especially in this area. Kate Couric (nothing against her) and her cameras are not going to "get to the bottom of" anything, but maybe they'll wind up with a hit Netflix feature.

Fixed link for you: (I hope that works)

Like others are saying here, everything in moderation. Actually, Americans have very poor eating habits. You may have to adjust your sense of moderation if you really want to develop better ones. But don't do something like never let your children eat fruit.

This post was edited on 4/19 11:42 PM by siegsker

could be right after all Michael Moore wrote about the greatness of the Cuban medicine and the guy you voted for as President is their new best buddy.

Saw it too Rowdy. It was a big eye opener for me as well. We all know sugar is bad for us, but it is crazy just how bad and how addictive it is. Crazy. I cut most (not all) sugar out of my diet for 1 month and dropped 15 lbs. quick! And i wasn't a heavy guy to start with. Lean and mean now. :)

I don't necessarily agree with the conspiracy theory angle of many of these documentaries, but I have watched a bunch of them over the past year or so.

I can tell you, that at least in one's 40's, what you eat certainly makes a difference in how you feel.

I also agree with moderation, but anymore, I pretty much avoid most items that are refined or processed and try to eat a majority of foods like fruits and vegetables, things that you can pick from a plant or out of the ground.

I have low blood sugar, and sugar will spike my insulin levels, thus causing a crash later, but it's been amazing to see how eating an actual fruit, like an orange, doesn't cause this. I don't drink fruit juices though. 90% of what is in the grocery store is pure garbage in my opinion.

It's good to see more people get educated on food and nutrition, so I'm thankful for the documentaries being made. I don't think the tin foil angle adds much to the discussion though.

Originally posted by rowdy roddy piper:
And our own government is behind it. Watching netflix, a documentary named fed up, everyone needs to watch it. Sugar is basically the cause of most major diseases and it gets worse. If you worry about your own life and if you have kids, you need to watch this documentary. Calories, fats, cholesterol, nothing compares to the poison that is sugar. Its proven that sugar is more addictive than cocaine, heroine, and we are feeding this crap to our infant babies! We are overdosing our kids on it everyday! Educate yourselves and make smart choices, thats the only cure. Avoid sugar at all costs.
I watched the documentary a few months ago, and I agree that it was very eye opening. I also agree with siegsker that many of these documentaries are essentially echo chambers: the industry/entity being attacked is not going to voluntarily be interviewed and/or be put in a position to compromise their stronghold.

Part of the problem that this particular documentary exploits is the subsidies to the sugar industry. If I recall correctly, the subsidy pays the sugar manufacturer almost three times the cost of production (like I said, it's been a few months since I've watched this documentary, but the numbers I remember are $0.07 to produce with a $0.20 subsidy on whatever unit of measure they use for sugar). The original intent of the subsidy was to put Latin American sugar companies out of business and control it as a commodity. The US was successful in that regard. But the subsidy continued and eventually a family in Florida became very successful and is currently owned by two brothers. The documentary speaks about the 2000 election (Bush-Gore) where one brother made campaign donations to Bush and the other brother donated to Gore to ensure their subsidy gravy train would continue.

What I took from that is the sugar subsidy creates an environment where gross overproduction is encouraged. Yes, it keeps prices extremely low in retail, but we are already paying for it in taxes. It's why foreigners come here and see the large quantities of pop and other sugar-laden junk food you can purchase for such little money.

Similar arguments can be made about corn and is a reason you can find corn in almost everything.

One documentary I highly encourage if you are going on a Netflix documentary binge to look at nutrition and healthy living is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It documents an overweight and extremely unhealthy executive from Australia coming to America and losing weight. He does this primarily through juicing, but it has wider applicability. As someone who has lost 100 lbs in the last half year, juicing sucks but you can apply its principles to eating solid food as well (juicing allows for faster and more thorough delivery of nutrients, and the wrong recipes and portions can make some juices disgusting).

Long story short, there is a fundamental, institutional problem with American health and wellness, especially as it relates to sugar and corn (corn is not easily digestible, it's why it will come out whole in your poop). Our food consumption is very high, but our nutrient consumption is very poor.

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:
I don't necessarily agree with the conspiracy theory angle of many of these documentaries, but I have watched a bunch of them over the past year or so.

I can tell you, that at least in one's 40's, what you eat certainly makes a difference in how you feel.

I also agree with moderation, but anymore, I pretty much avoid most items that are refined or processed and try to eat a majority of foods like fruits and vegetables, things that you can pick from a plant or out of the ground.

I have low blood sugar, and sugar will spike my insulin levels, thus causing a crash later, but it's been amazing to see how eating an actual fruit, like an orange, doesn't cause this. I don't drink fruit juices though. 90% of what is in the grocery store is pure garbage in my opinion.

It's good to see more people get educated on food and nutrition, so I'm thankful for the documentaries being made. I don't think the tin foil angle adds much to the discussion though.
+1

I too saw the documentary and found it interesting. I retired from teaching and now run an organic produce farm that also raises grass fed, organic, sheep and free range chickens. So I am totally on-board with the idea that our form of industrial agriculture and our food consumption habits are deeply unhealthy. I myself feel 100% better since I started eating more of my own fruits and veggies and lean meats.

I also agree that the American government loves big corporate anything due to the deep pockets they have. But I don't buy into any conspiracy stuff. It is just human nature to drift toward the path of easy money. Just ask all of those Nebraska farmers growing corn for high fructose corn syrup!

All that said ... damn I love ice cream and my wife's peach cobbler. I also sometimes just want to eat a big chunk of good, white, french or italian bread slathered in butter rather than the healthy "whole grain" stuff. So I think so long as moderation reigns we can indulge a little sugar now and then. And any kid who does not get a chance to chow down on some ice cream cones in the summer or guzzle a bottle of cold coke on a hot day is missing out on one of life's little pleasures.

I saw an article the other day where some woman who just turned 100 was interviewed. They asked her, as they always do in such stories, what the secret of her longevity was. And her answer was that she drank two cans of non-diet Dr. Pepper every day. Now of course that is a one case anecdote and means nothing scientifically. But still ... life is not just about living long, but also enjoying a few things along the way. Now if you will excuse me, I am going out to my greenhouse to plant some bean seeds while smoking the great Dominican cigar I just bought.

If something has inspired you to make better food choices, good for you. We could all benefit from a more balanced diet and a lot more exercise.

I give myself about a C+ on the diet and an A- on the exercise. And though I am in pretty good shape, I could stand to step up my game in both areas. But that starts by acknowledging that my food and activity choices are my own to make, and if I choose badly it's not because of some big, bad government/food industry conspiracy that is out to profit from my demise. They have yet to force my vehicle into the fast food drive thru or compel me to sit on my ass in front of the TV or computer screen for several hours at a time. On the occasions when I do those things, it's only because I chose to and lacked the will power to make better decisions.

This, in my opinion, is the mindset that will make Americans healthier - not the one that says it's someone else's fault that my diet sucks and I don't get enough exercise.

Originally posted by Nebraska Fan:
could be right after all Michael Moore wrote about the greatness of the Cuban medicine and the guy you voted for as President is their new best buddy.
Coincidentally, Michael Moore LOVES sugar and bacon and pork rinds.

Originally posted by Cornicator:

Originally posted by Nebraska Fan:
Coincidentally, Michael Moore LOVES sugar and bacon and pork rinds.
Who doesn't? Like Louie CK says, "when I have bacon in my mouth it doesn't matter who the President is".

I don't think you'll find anyone arguing that sugar is good for you, but there's pretty much nothing that you should eat exclusively and/or in massive amounts.

The science wobbles on which foods are the right ones, so your best bet is to get lots of exercise, eat a varied diet and keep your weight down.

Amend to say "processed sugar".

Totally agree and anyone who doesn't think processed sugar is addicting need only try to do without for 3 days.

This post was edited on 4/20 11:16 AM by meo1960

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:

The sugar levels in an orange are relatively low. Think of a glass of fruit juice as the sugar water squeezed out of a whole lot of oranges, leaving the fiber behind. It's why even pure fruit juices are not as healthful as they claim to be. Definitely agree about much of what is for sale at a grocery store. If you go heavy on the raw ingredients and not the packaged food, you have greater control of your own intake.

My great-grandmother drank a coke every day and lived to be like 98 (and inhaled second-hand smoke from her husband for decades). I'm not saying I'd recommend that, but I'm saying that genetic predisposition plays a huge part in terms of major diseases. I've known people who live perfectly healthy lifestyles and got cancer in their 30s and 40s.

Like other have said, moderation.

One of the changes over the last few decades is use of Corn Sweetener in pretty much all processed foods - due in part to it's preservative capabilities. And because we need a place to use all that corn we grow - bring on the Ethanol mandates as well......

Point being - making markets (and $$$) - not healthy customers - has been the focus of corporate Ag for many years. Easier to change personal eating habits over getting our dysfunctional government to do anything about it.

I don't discount that exercise and a good diet can increases ones longevity, but I'm more convinced DNA has even more to do with that. I do agree about the sugar. One needs to watch how much you intake that stuff. Sugar is killing us. But unless you indulge great amounts of sugar, which many of us do, I think you'll be fine. But as I get older, I agree that natural foods are the best. This is why I love to garden and wish I could do it year-round. I love my garden fresh, organic foods when they come time to pick.

Originally posted by rowdy roddy piper:
which is why they removed cane sugar from many food items and replaced it with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Not only it's it cheaper, but many times sweeter than cane sugar and very addictive. It turns on switches in your brain that cause a chemical change that makes you addicted.

The Food Pyramid is also a scam. Look at the portion of grains it states we should all eat. Grains break down into sugar. That sugar is stored in your fat if you don't burn it off.

Almost all diseases are linked to your colon and lack of proper minerals.

The entire cholesterol/fats etc. is a bunch of crap. Your body needs both healthy fats and cholesterol. Cholesterol is the precursor for hormones. You don't get high cholesterol by eating bacon or eggs. Research has shown this. There was a study years ago involving Swedish farmers who ate bacon and eggs every day before they did their daily farm chores etc. They all
had low cholesterol. I eat eggs almost every breakfast and my cholesterol, Trigs and LDL are all low and my HDL is high.
Studies have also shown that you will actually help lose weight if you eat eggs in the am rather than grains as cereal or oatmeal.

All you need to do is research the FDA, AMA and Big Pharma and follow the money. See whose connected to them and how things get passed.

Perfect example....Donald Rumsfeld was the former CEO of Serle, which became Monsanto. He pushed for Aspartame to get put into foods as an artificial sweetener. There were a number of Dr's on the FDA board who put this to a vote. They voted it down because they were concerned about all the negative side effects of Aspartame. Rumsfeld got one of those Dr.'s to change their vote and the next great artificial sweetener (Equal) was launched and Aspartame was put into our Soda's/Gum and other processed foods.

Aspartame is also many time sweeter than pure cane sugar and much more addictive. It also breaks down the myelin sheath that covers/protects our brain neurons, which is what occurs with Alzheimers.

Today what we deem "organic" was basically what we ate every day at home during the 1960's, 1970s and 80's until GMO's got introduced in the early '90's, AKA "Frankenfoods." Kids now days are eating tons of fast food and processed foods that have nothing but empty calories, antibiotics/hormones; hormones which mimic estrogen and cause boys to go into puberty earlier than normal, often decreasing their T levels and developing more fat reserves. It also causes girls to begin their menstrual cycle much earlier.

People are not getting the necessary minerals today because the soil has been so contaminated/depleted by GMO's, Round Up and Aerosol spraying. Disease is linked to not having the minerals your body requires.

I was listening to an expert the other day who has researched how our food is grown and the quality of it compared to 30+ years ago. He stated for the record that a person to derive the same amount of minerals from one carrot that they ate as a child 30+ years ago, today would have to consume 11 carrots.

Rowdy, thanks for bringing this topic up. Many people in this country can't believe that our own government would be behind anything that may hurt its citizens. Europe is banning GMO's and kicked Monsanto out.

For those who think our own government only wants the best for our people, please tell that to the families of the folks, including many children, in areas of St. Louis, who were sprayed by the US Military with Radioactive chemicals in 1953, 1954 and 1963-1965.

It's no difference from what's going on now with aerosol spraying. People don't want to believe this can happen here.
Believing in a paradigm because you were given a false sense of reality doesn't change the fact of what has gone on and what is continuing to go on.

AllGov. Did US Military Secretely Aerial Spray St

Gemini, great info. I have been researching a lot of topics, including the chem trails. I saw photos from the inside of the actual planes with the chemicals being released in midair. Very scary indeed. You catch a lot of crap for this, but its very real and we as a society need a real explanation as to why is this happening and how it got approved. I certainly wouldnt want it approved....

Gemini, great info. I have been researching a lot of topics, including the chem trails. I saw photos from the inside of the actual planes with the chemicals being released in midair. Very scary indeed. You catch a lot of crap for this, but its very real and we as a society need a real explanation as to why is this happening and how it got approved. I certainly wouldnt want it approved....

Pic please.

which is why they removed cane sugar from many food items and replaced it with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Not only it's it cheaper, but many times sweeter than cane sugar and very addictive. It turns on switches in your brain that cause a chemical change that makes you addicted.

The Food Pyramid is also a scam. Look at the portion of grains it states we should all eat. Grains break down into sugar. That sugar is stored in your fat if you don't burn it off.

Almost all diseases are linked to your colon and lack of proper minerals.

The entire cholesterol/fats etc. is a bunch of crap. Your body needs both healthy fats and cholesterol. Cholesterol is the precursor for hormones. You don't get high cholesterol by eating bacon or eggs. Research has shown this. There was a study years ago involving Swedish farmers who ate bacon and eggs every day before they did their daily farm chores etc. They all
had low cholesterol. I eat eggs almost every breakfast and my cholesterol, Trigs and LDL are all low and my HDL is high.
Studies have also shown that you will actually help lose weight if you eat eggs in the am rather than grains as cereal or oatmeal.

_______

Exactly. All the processed foods on the grocery store shelves are basically "brown goo", heavy in carbs that turn into sugar and eventually become your spare tire. Cave man diet is where it's at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT