ADVERTISEMENT

Strength coach Phillip leading team out??

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
551c7ab06b284.image.jpg
This question was brought up on another board. Would you as fans be cool with our S@C coach leading the team onto the field for games? I like the idea. He is closer to the players than anyone. He is there in the dog days.. bleeding, lifting and sweating with the guys. And....also, he's quite an intimidating figure to have out front. Discuss........GBR!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky62
IMO no. While he is a leader among the coaches he is not "the" leader. That is reserved for the person who takes the heat when things fall apart and the credit when things go well. If the HC wishes to relinquish that for a time that is his call.

Reactions: Anegada1 and RedSea
I get that he builds close bonds with the players, but how do you jump from that to leading the team out of the tunnel for games? Regardless of how close he is with the players, he is not the face of the program like the head coach is. That is who should be at the front leading the team.

Reactions: RedSea
No. We should have Herbie. Come on man get with it. Strength coach leading us out. Some of the posts I read

I've heard Riley doesn't lead the team out and rather comes out last usually. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. He wants the players to have the spotlight. What I like is that he will do it his way one way or the other. Respect.

Reactions: RedSea and HBK4life
I can't believe people have such strong opinions about something so mundane as the exit from the tunnel. Must be the off-season.

As long as they win a ton of games, I don't care one iota about the tunnel walk, uniforms, walk-on program, or anything else. That stuff means zilch when you haven't won a conference championship in 16 years.

If they win a national title I'm fine with the program switching to green uniforms and changing the team mascot to the cucumber. GO CUMBERS!!!

Don't give a rats a$$ who is in front of the team going onto the field before the game. As long as there are leaders ON the field and sideline during the game and it produces wins or competitive losses.

The head coach needs to lead them out. That really is not in question. What we really need is to find the next Christian Peter for the locker room.

Reactions: redwine65
I'm not surprised Riley doesn't want to lead the team onto the field, no coach in the NFL walks out with the team. It just goes to show yout that Riley doesn't want this to be about anyone but the players. While I personally liked seeing the coach lead the team out of the tunnel, I understand Riley's decision not to. As Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby"

Reactions: arf_man
I'm not surprised Riley doesn't want to lead the team onto the field, no coach in the NFL walks out with the team. It just goes to show yout that Riley doesn't want this to be about anyone but the players. While I personally liked seeing the coach lead the team out of the tunnel, I understand Riley's decision not to. As Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby"

I don't have a problem with that.

I wouldn't mind if he was on the scene because he's a valuable member of the coaching staff, but no, Coach Riley needs to be the guy at the front with the captains and the rest looking for him to lead them into battle. Coach Phillip is the unsung hero.

I wouldn't mind if he was on the scene because he's a valuable member of the coaching staff, but no, Coach Riley needs to be the guy at the front with the captains and the rest looking for him to lead them into battle. Coach Phillip is the unsung hero.
It has been said already that Riley usually comes in after the players. So are you saying he needs to change?

Not just a question for you, but for all who feel like he should be out in front.

Maybe Mike Riley hates sirious, or whatever that song is called.
He probably does.
I don't blame the man for not wanting to lead the team on the field to that music.

That song is played out.

Reactions: fan1212 and arf_man
It doesn't matter. Philipp gets them hype let him lead them out.

Maybe Mike Riley hates sirious, or whatever that song is called.
He probably does.
I don't blame the man for not wanting to lead the team on the field to that music.

That song is played out.
Seems like as good of time as any for the yearly "lets replace the tunnel walk music" thread.

Reactions: arf_man
If you're worried about who is leading the team out of the tunnel... you might be a Husker fan. If Riley has a certain way of doing things, he is going to do it. Maybe we shouldn't have hired him?

I don't care either way. I just enjoy sitting back watching people losing their minds over things like uniforms, shoe contracts, sirius, who runs in with the team, Pepsi or coke, etc.

I don't care either way. I just enjoy sitting back watching people losing their minds over things like uniforms, shoe contracts, sirius, who runs in with the team, Pepsi or coke, etc.
Haven't been to a game in Lincoln in 6 years... But if we ever go to coke I'm done with this team! :)

Don't even get me started on the Pepsi/Coke debate. Everybody knows it should be SAMs Choice. You got Dr. Thunder, Mountain Lightning, Cola, Frui Punch all fit half the price. It's a no brainer.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT