ADVERTISEMENT

Still waiting for first Riley commit for 2016

This might be troublesome to some, but I don't think we've reached emergency levels yet. Let's see what happens over the next several months... Last I checked, signing day isn't until next February.

Behind the 8-ball by not hosting a true junior day. Didn't like the decision then and obviously still don't like the decision now.

Not worried though, yet. June will be a big month for the staff.

What's behind not hosting a Junior Day? Is this something that they won't have in the future as well, or is it just this year?

We hosted a junior day, 90% or more were Nebraska kids though. I'd say filling out the 2015 class was such a priority plus hiring assistants, more than likely they felt it would be too late to put something together.

We have one staff holdover, and he was in the recruiting department so I'm sure unfamiliar with 2016 targets played a part as well.

Fully expect to have one going forward and it paying off.

Not worried at all. I firmly believe we are going to start landing some talent soon.

Being an OSU fan, I can tell you that Riley in the past 14 years was always late to the party in signing talent. Seems he takes more time to evaluate and then brings them in droves, always over signs and has a couple of gray shirts. At least this was his MO at OSU. Good luck I will be following NU closely.

Thanks. His comments indicate that he will be changing his MO a bit from the past in recruiting. For those that imply he'll do the same things that he's always done, I'd say that he wouldn't be here if he wasn't ready to try something different. I guess we'll see. I thought he did well in retaining Pelini's class and adding a few new ones for our latest class.

GBR

Thanks spincity58, the historical perspective is big. We have seen Texas basically full at this time in the past; and an article said Miami has 20 commits the other day - does make one wonder. But the coaches are traveling, and all indications have been we will sign a large class; the comments above would lead one to believe we will go full and oversign if prudent.
So we have the offers out there; a lot of players have been told they are the number one target, we are not pressuring when up against top competition, but expect asking for commits to notch up a bit come summer.

That may have been his strategy at Oregon State, for reasons out of his control, but I'll be shocked if he follows that at Nebraska. With the Nebraska name alone, he'll have the chance at opening a lot more doors with higher caliber prospects and better opportunity to land them.

And IMO, that's why they're behind the 8-ball for the 2016 class. For the most part, relationships matter hence my comments a couple months back 2017 should be a better class based on Rivals (caution, I haven't looked at the scholarship distribution chart though). Plus, they're also evaluating sophomores which they did at Oregon State as well, difference is it'll make a difference at Nebraska.

Add in the satellite camps, and the train is on the tracks full speed ahead....

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Behind the 8-ball by not hosting a true junior day. Didn't like the decision then and obviously still don't like the decision now.

Not worried though, yet. June will be a big month for the staff.
Simmer down hto. Relax man. Your starting to sweat for no reason.

Bo Pelini, beat scrubs and got CRUSHED by the good teams. These kids gotta get used to real coaches.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT