ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry trolls we are over the hump

dockentwo

All-American
Aug 13, 2004
I am not speaking to educated, concerned husker fans. If you are insulted; check your mirror. I am feeling some true optimism .
a) Coach Riley has recruited a great staff ; former N coaches and players are making favorable comments; including expect better in game adjustments.
b) Recruiting : we are doing what so many on here have touted, including; 500 mile radius, also going anywhere for special or attentive talent. The AD has his Department developing a full court press of support and innovation.
C) Strength and conditioning : player comments alone; and Coaches willingness to cooperate with Boyd Epply and his innovators imply a very real improvement.
d) 3 of the 4 losses of Coach Rileys 2012 team were by 4 or fewer points. With less than he has now, he has upset top ranked teams and had a one point loss to THE Oregon two years ago ( a loss yes, not by 30)
E) Coach has a history of putting qb's and others into the NFL; with our qb coach; we are going to see higher performance levels and top recruits. EFFORT; we are selling our rep as a place that will develop you as a person, and give you your best NFL chance. We have multiple players on the team, who are going to benefit and make it - reinforcing the cycle.
f) The grade our D was starting to give us, as far as any chance for a championship - This is headed into full reverse; we are going to be a force on D, and only get better !!!
I realize its going to take some time , but we are a collection of fan( atics), we can show positive support. There are good teams with good fans; but we seem to have a little Magic; we are really building Momentum: its a road and a process. I get it; but some can't see it from here, we are over the hump - on the tracks and on our way... GBR

Reactions: arf_man
I am not speaking to educated, concerned husker fans. If you are insulted; check your mirror. I am feeling some true optimism .
a) Coach Riley has recruited a great staff ; former N coaches and players are making favorable comments; including expect better in game adjustments.
b) Recruiting : we are doing what so many on here have touted, including; 500 mile radius, also going anywhere for special or attentive talent. The AD has his Department developing a full court press of support and innovation.
C) Strength and conditioning : player comments alone; and Coaches willingness to cooperate with Boyd Epply and his innovators imply a very real improvement.
d) 3 of the 4 losses of Coach Rileys 2012 team were by 4 or fewer points. With less than he has now, he has upset top ranked teams and had a one point loss to THE Oregon two years ago ( a loss yes, not by 30)
E) Coach has a history of putting qb's and others into the NFL; with our qb coach; we are going to see higher performance levels and top recruits. EFFORT; we are selling our rep as a place that will develop you as a person, and give you your best NFL chance. We have multiple players on the team, who are going to benefit and make it - reinforcing the cycle.
f) The grade our D was starting to give us, as far as any chance for a championship - This is headed into full reverse; we are going to be a force on D, and only get better !!!
I realize its going to take some time , but we are a collection of fan( atics), we can show positive support. There are good teams with good fans; but we seem to have a little Magic; we are really building Momentum: its a road and a process. I get it; but some can't see it from here, we are over the hump - on the tracks and on our way... GBR

Pelini was a god when he came to Lincoln and everyone was all a twitter. We shall see.

Pelini was a god when he came to Lincoln and everyone was all a twitter. We shall see.

Are you sure about that? I know he had his fans, and maybe even most people were Ok with the hire, but I remember plenty of people who were concerned about him being a hothead and his lack of recruiting results. Seem to remember plenty of people wanting Gill as well. I think it would be more accurate to say most people were OK with the hire, but it wasn't a landslide and he certainly wasn't considered a Gawd.

Reactions: rabel and arf_man
I really like everything I am seeing from Riley and his staff, but ultimately it is about wins and losses. The early returns on that front will be determined in the fall.

It doesn't mean shit unless they win games. Talk is cheap.

I was ready for Pelini to be fired three years ago, but that does not make Riley some sort of superhero, nor does it make him a success before he's coached his first Husker game. And recruiting...I've seen zilch to prove it will be better than under Pelini. Or are those two-star guys stolen from Oregon State in January supposed to prove something?

Talk is cheap. Win games. End of story.

On a year to year basis, what is your tolerance level going forward? Can Husker fans handle 9-3 most of the time if the losses are close/down to the wire. Maybe a 10-2 a few times in the next 5 years? Maybe some of those wins turn out to be against tOSU, Wisconsin, MSU and whatever big dog on the non conference part of the season.

I can deal with 3 losses easily if those losses are to good teams and not blowouts. But I sure would like to see an 11 win season sometime in the next five. Time will tell, but I like what I see from this staff so far but as others have said, it comes down to wins and losses.

I'm more interested in how we play than the wins and losses. If we play well with good coaching the wins and losses will work themselves out.

Last edited:
It doesn't mean shit unless they win games. Talk is cheap.

I was ready for Pelini to be fired three years ago, but that does not make Riley some sort of superhero, nor does it make him a success before he's coached his first Husker game. And recruiting...I've seen zilch to prove it will be better than under Pelini. Or are those two-star guys stolen from Oregon State in January supposed to prove something?

Talk is cheap. Win games. End of story.

This

I don't think many will argue that it comes down to wins and losses, but there is great importance to building a culture and doing things the right way that will lead to those wins and losses. From what I've seen so far, Riley is on the right track to laying that foundation for what can lead to the wins.

I'm very happy with what I've seen through spring. The next step will be seeing how the coaches continue to develop and manage games. I believe the experience of the staff will bode well on the development and management front.

Recruiting is the biggest question mark left to me.

It's kinda hard to be over-the-hump when Riley is 0-0 here. He has succeeded in PR so far by not being such a self-absorbed p**ck like Pelini. I think it's wise to at least wait until the season and recruiting cycle ends before assessing his performance.

It's hard not to be excited about what we are seeing so far, but omnione is right... I tend to believe that we are in for a good ride with Riley, but we won't know for sure until we see what happens this year and in the years to come.

Conversely, I also think it is to soon to say "things are the same as they always were" when it comes to recruiting and the like. Let things play out and we will see what we have soon enough.

I'll stop not wanting to be a fan because the coach is a dick, there's that. Halftime interviews won't be cringeworthy anymore, either. #isitfootballseasonyet

On a year to year basis, what is your tolerance level going forward? Can Husker fans handle 9-3 most of the time if the losses are close/down to the wire. Maybe a 10-2 a few times in the next 5 years? Maybe some of those wins turn out to be against tOSU, Wisconsin, MSU and whatever big dog on the non conference part of the season.

I can deal with 3 losses easily if those losses are to good teams and not blowouts. But I sure would like to see an 11 win season sometime in the next five. Time will tell, but I like what I see from this staff so far but as others have said, it comes down to wins and losses.
If you're 9-3 but close to 11-1 I can handle that. Instead if you're 9-3 close to 7-5 or worse like Bo usually was that's gonna be a big problem.

If you're 9-3 but close to 11-1 I can handle that. Instead if you're 9-3 close to 7-5 or worse like Bo usually was that's gonna be a big problem.
A record is a record. Stop with the nonsense.

If you want to argue specifics we were one caught ball (one that hit the hands) of beating a top 5 team on their home field at night for a tenth regular season win.
Alonzo+Moore+Nebraska+v+Michigan+State+IdZ0g6rPIZ_l.jpg

Reactions: titan16

When Callahan was hired McKewon said something like "finally we have a coach that can sit down with other coaches in the Big 12 and hold his own when it comes to experience-coaching super bowl teams blah, blah, blah.

When Pelini was hired, much the same thing, course he did bring respectability back to NU football, but let's forget about that because now we have a great coach that everyone wanted, but nobody could get out of Corvallis because he was a true college football coach-blah, blah, blah...

We will see, up until the season starts, we are all just riding Shawn's Magic Bus. And Perlman gets to ride off into the sunset........

Tom, care to mention the McNeese State game?

Does Io_a fall in that category?

Northwestern in 2013 sure does.

It doesn't stop there...

This is why I said a record is a record. Would've, could've, should'ves don't matter. At the end of the day it is about W's. Bo didn't have enough of them...let's all hope Riley has more.

It doesn't stop there...

A win is a win. Unless of course it is not a win, in which case it is a loss. The team that won scores more points.

Just though I would make it easier for you to understand the McNeese State, and Northwestern games.

By the way, are you a Magic Bus disciple? No energy vampires and all that?

This is why I said a record is a record. Would've, could've, should'ves don't matter. At the end of the day it is about W's. Bo didn't have enough of them...let's all hope Riley has more.

You also said this...

Tulsa Tom said:
If you want to argue specifics we were one caught ball (one that hit the hands) of beating a top 5 team on their home field at night for a tenth regular season win.

So I ask again...

It doesn't stop there..

Nope. I was not anointing him king let alone God. His crying after the Kstate game back when he was D-cord told me everything I needed to know about him. That was the first of many embarrassing moments that have tarnished Husker nation at his hands.

The dealing with losses/wins by a certain margin seems to be a sticking point. For some, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, others may argue a close loss is "good" or "not bad". I think we could all agree that none of us want to see a blowout NU loss.

So, can Husker fans handle 9-3 regardless of margin. Probably.

Last edited:
If all of NU's blowouts over the last 7 years were just 1 point losses instead of monumental blowouts with record setting futility to go along with, you think Pelini would still be here? I do.

Fact is some of the people trollin in this thread were not thrilled with the new hire and you're acting out over it by spewing stupid stuff.

If all of NU's blowouts over the last 7 years were just 1 point losses instead of monumental blowouts with record setting futility to go along with, you think Pelini would still be here? I do.

Fact is some of the people trollin in this thread were not thrilled with the new hire and you're acting out over it by spewing stupid stuff.

Would Bo still be here? No. Don't rewrite history and act like people were fine with nine/ten wins. People were out with pitchforks wanting him fired because we weren't taking the next step and winning championships...including me.

Finally stop with the internet butthurt where everyone who disagrees with you is a troll.

Would Bo still be here? No. Don't rewrite history and act like people were fine with nine/ten wins. People were out with pitchforks wanting him fired because we weren't taking the next step and winning championships...including me.

Finally stop with the internet butthurt where everyone who disagrees with you is a troll.

Of course he would still be here. Not surprising you can't see that. As you said, he averaged 10 wins a season. If his losses were extremely close, rather than extremely bad, it would be evidence that he wasn't that far off, and it would make sense to keep him, despite his tantrums. Instead, the results showed that he could rack up wins against the 7-or-less-wins-a-year teams, but too often got drilled by the 8-or-more-wins-a-year teams.

Of course he would still be here. Not surprising you can't see that. As you said, he averaged 10 wins a season. If his losses were extremely close, rather than extremely bad, it would be evidence that he wasn't that far off, and it would make sense to keep him, despite his tantrums. Instead, the results showed that he could rack up wins against the 7-or-less-wins-a-year teams, but too often got drilled by the 8-or-more-wins-a-year teams.
No...the issue is zero championships. I and a few others have been consistent in our expectations.

No...the issue is zero championships. I and a few others have been consistent in our expectations.

That was an issue and perhaps the main issue. But don't make it sound like the lack of championships was the only issue with Bo.

When Shawn came in, the die was cast. I'm sure many of you are at places where every time the leadership changes, there is turnover within a year or two. Because the deals that were made with the previous administration are invalidated. That is why BP is gone. Osborne's expectation and assurance that 9 wins a year was enough for BP to keep his job was gone.

All we know for sure about Riley is he won't melt down when he gets his a-- handed to him, like has happened several times in Corvallis, San Diego, and Winnipeg. We'll see if that is enough for those on this board like HTO, 4.6.3, cavalot, and the others.....

People have missed the point entirely with this thread. A 9-3 and I'd argue even an 8-4 Riley team trumps a 9-3 Pelini team any day of the week. Why? Because Riley will carry himself with dignity and respect and represent the state of Nebraska and the University in a manner that will reflect the great people of our state. Nebraska football isn't just about football. It's an identity that many current and former Nebraskans carry with them for the rest of their life. The behavior of Bobo the clown tarnished that identity which is why regardless of wins or losses he deserved to be fired a long time ago. It's why I can confidently say that even in the first couple of months of the Riley hire Eichorst has succeeded. Riley and company have restored the Nebraska identity that had been tarnished for so many years.

Just win games! I have no doubt that Riley and his staff can do that. Win close, win in blowout fashion, I don't care. Just win and make this season exciting!

I will consider us "over the hump" when we are over the hump. I like our new HC as a man, but I will believe in him when he wins.

If we hired the NU dream team of Tressel/Frost, I'd be the same skeptic.

I'd love to believe what the OP has put forth but have too much experience with expectations not being met.

I will consider us "over the hump" when we are over the hump. I like our new HC as a man, but I will believe in him when he wins.

If we hired the NU dream team of Tressel/Frost, I'd be the same skeptic.

I'd love to believe what the OP has put forth but have too much experience with expectations not being met.

I can go with this. I like Riley and hope this staff does well but I know there are no guarantees. I will give him time to get the job done unlike some on here. You can bet if he losses 4 games this year the Pelini lovers will be out in full force.

I can go with this. I like Riley and hope this staff does well but I know there are no guarantees. I will give him time to get the job done unlike some on here. You can bet if he losses 4 games this year the Pelini lovers will be out in full force.
If we lose 4 games this year I would consider that a successful season in his first year. As far as what to look for out of the gate will be be how Banker's defense plays, if defense is solid then I would be happy. It will take longer for the offense to come around with the switch

When Shawn came in, the die was cast. I'm sure many of you are at places where every time the leadership changes, there is turnover within a year or two. Because the deals that were made with the previous administration are invalidated. That is why BP is gone. Osborne's expectation and assurance that 9 wins a year was enough for BP to keep his job was gone.

All we know for sure about Riley is he won't melt down when he gets his a-- handed to him, like has happened several times in Corvallis, San Diego, and Winnipeg. We'll see if that is enough for those on this board like HTO, 4.6.3, cavalot, and the others.....
Ha ha ha. Gee whiz, if Osborne would have only told Pelini to win a conference title and / or avoid the consistent blowout losses and / or not act like an ungrateful blathering idiot, then all would be well.

You sure do sound a bit sad and angry that Bo won't be getting that championship here at NU that you were so certain he was going to get. Everyone has had their a-- handed to them, even the great Saban and Meyer have experienced it. The question is how often it happens, and to whom. If he's getting b---h slapped on a yearly basis by teams outside the top 25, and he doesn't appear to be able to fix the causes for the b---h slapping, then he can gladly go the way of Bo.

They will celebrate, you can take that to the bank.

I can't wait for the season to get here....

That was an issue and perhaps the main issue. But don't make it sound like the lack of championships was the only issue with Bo.
Of course Bo's issue made the letting go a lot easier. The transition has been quite smooth considering what happened when Frank was canned. I don't know anyone pining for Bo or hoping that we don't win games. It seems like all of us want Riley to do well...and that means winning championships and not simply winning nine or ten wins a year.

They will celebrate, you can take that to the bank.

I can't wait for the season to get here....

There may be some drawing a line at 9 or 10 wins this year as a passing grade, I would hope they wouldn't be celebrating if goals aren't met. If the coaching is good, the play should improve as the season progresses. I think we should have at least a winning season, just my opinion.

There was a poll for voting on where the next recruiting class would rank. IIRC, most were voting in the range of 15 to 25. So, I looked at how we ranked in recruiting over time. Just ballparking, Solich recruited around 50, Callahan we'll say 5 to 20, Pelini around 20 to 30. So, we'll find out how well the current staff recruits.

If the coaching and recruiting are both good, will there be anybody to complain.

I don't know anyone pining for Bo or hoping that we don't win games. It seems like all of us want Riley to do well...and that means winning championships and not simply winning nine or ten wins a year.

Oh, those people pining for Bo exist. They're either hiding in the woodwork and/or on other boards. There may not be fans who want Riley to fail to prove a point. But there will be plenty of "I told you so" from that crowd if Riley gets blown out and/or fails to win the nine-win championship this year.

My intent of my first response was to mention how there wasn't just one issue that justified Bo's firing. It wasn't just the temper and PR issues. It's wasn't solely due to the lack of championships. It wasn't solely due to the blowouts. It wasn't solely due to Bo's indignation toward recruiting. It wasn't solely due to the program treading water and bouncing in and out of the top 25. It wasn't solely due to the same mistakes being made over and over again. It was all of the above. Bolievers made it sound that we were fixated on winning championships at all costs and that #9wins made up for all of items I mentioned in this paragraph.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
People have missed the point entirely with this thread. A 9-3 and I'd argue even an 8-4 Riley team trumps a 9-3 Pelini team any day of the week.

Which hasn't happened yet......Riley is 0-0 here.

All the good vibes from spring ball would go into the sh**ter if we have a losing season this year. I'm not saying that we'll have a losing record this season. Just pointing out the logical flaw in your argument. You're still essentially declaring Eichorst's football hire a success solely on improved PR and zero on-field accomplishments. That's still premature in my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT