ADVERTISEMENT

Shatel: Big 8/12 shrinking in rearview mirror

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel...cle_088880a1-cc7e-5e82-9303-4c7b65a4c79b.html

Good column. He's completely right on with the statement about "Nebraska doesn't miss playing Kansas or Kansas State, we miss beating Kansas and Kansas State." I've said many times that if we had won the last couple B1G championships, maybe toss in a national title, the small splinter faction of those who want to join the Big 12 wouldn't exist.

my guess, we are headed to 4 super conferences, approx 16 teams each.. can't go against the grain when all the momentum says the big 12 is likely going to fall apart.. your conference winners will get spots in the playoff, and some schools will be left out

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel...cle_088880a1-cc7e-5e82-9303-4c7b65a4c79b.html

Good column. He's completely right on with the statement about "Nebraska doesn't miss playing Kansas or Kansas State, we miss beating Kansas and Kansas State." I've said many times that if we had won the last couple B1G championships, maybe toss in a national title, the small splinter faction of those who want to join the Big 12 wouldn't exist.

...and I say if we were 8-1 against Texas instead of 1-8 with one or two Big 12 titles tossed in for good measure, a lot less people would have wanted to leave the conference.

Agreed. Great article. Hadn't really thought about the possibility of OU in the B1G West and playing us every yr again (even if OU had to do some major lawyering to split from OSU to get to the B1G).

I still think ND and Kansas are the final teams to get the B1G to 16 schools total (and I have heard the arguments while both won't, and I get those, but I still think they are best potential future conference expansion candidates).

GBR

I don't even miss the Big 8 anymore. I'm loving the B1G. Hate the west, only b/c I'd love to be playing Michigan, MSU, and PSU every year like we did in the Legends. Overall, I'm really enjoying it. And I really believe this conference is trending up.

ADVERTISEMENT