Minnesota - L
Northwestern - W
Purdue - W
Michigan State - L
Rutgers - W
Iowa - W

Toughest game? Michigan St.
Hardest game to predict? Iowa.

Thoughts? Differences to the above? and why?
The only game I would really argue is the Minnesota game. I really believe we are the better team and should have won the last two games against them.

They were definitely better coached, but I think we are more talented. Even though it is an away game, I think the guys have revenge in mind. The other games you have us losing make sense, and while I'd like to think it doesn't play out that way, the only one I feel really strongly about is the Minnesota game.

Reactions: newAD
For the first time in a VERY long time I'm drinking the kool-aid. 10-2.

The only game I would really argue is the Minnesota game. I really believe we are the better team and should have won the last two games against them.

They were definitely better coached, but I think we are more talented. Even though it is an away game, I think the guys have revenge in mind. The other games you have us losing make sense, and while I'd like to think it doesn't play out that way, the only one I feel really strongly about is the Minnesota game.
the reason why i picked Minnesota in that game is due to the continuity within their coaching staff, and the depth/experience factor and its an away game. i know this sounds strange, because its Minnesota, but i wish our team was more like theirs, in terms of toughness (physical and mental), discipline, and fundamentals. i guess i'm so used to our team being so soft and folding like a deck of cards when games get tight, that until I see differently, that will be all i know.

the reason why i picked Minnesota in that game is due to the continuity within their coaching staff, and the depth/experience factor and its an away game. i know this sounds strange, because its Minnesota, but i wish our team was more like theirs, in terms of toughness (physical and mental), discipline, and fundamentals. i guess i'm so used to our team being so soft and folding like a deck of cards when games get tight, that until I see differently, that will be all i know.
I'm sure your position/recruiting rankings have alot to do with your formula as well.

I hear us, and I hope the new coaches bring that toughness, both mental and physical. I don't see why they won't, but do understand where you're coming from.

I think Neb. finishes 8-4 in coach riley's first yr at the helm,
BYU - W
South Alabama - W
Miami-FL - L
Southern Miss. - W
Illinois - W
Wisconsin - L
Minnesota - L
Northwestern - W
Purdue - W
Michigan State - L
Rutgers - W
Iowa - W

Toughest game? Michigan St.
Hardest game to predict? Iowa.

Thoughts? Differences to the above? and why?

In my mind the only one that is a real uphill climb is MSU. Could we lose 3 other games, sure. I don't think so. I can see a loss to MN, Wisc but not both and I think Miami is a mess.

In my mind the only one that is a real uphill climb is MSU. Could we lose 3 other games, sure. I don't think so. I can see a loss to MN, Wisc but not both and I think Miami is a mess.
The primary driver I believe in the miami game will be brad kaya`s experience at the QB position and the fact it`s on the road early in the season with a young inexperienced nebraska team.

The primary driver I believe in the miami game will be brad kaya`s experience at the QB position and the fact it`s on the road early in the season with a young inexperienced nebraska team.
Also, miami may have the slightest edge in speed and overall talent

I think 10-2 with loses to Miami and Michigan State. I think we have the talent to beat everyone but MSU. For the first time we will see an experienced HC use these pieces to their best potential.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I think 10-2 with loses to Miami and Michigan State. I think we have the talent to beat everyone but MSU. For the first time we will see an experienced HC use these pieces to their best potential.
Agree with you. That said I will not be at all shocked if we run the table but lose CCG.

I honestly think Michigan State could be our lone loss. Pelini put the talent in to make noise in this weak division.

Now that we have an experienced head coach I think he will put it to good use.

I honestly think Michigan State could be our lone loss. Pelini put the talent in to make noise in this weak division.

Now that we have an experienced head coach I think he will put it to good use.
Yep.

I think we're a couple injuries away from being in real bad shape on D. Luckily, we play a clown show of a schedule.

7-5.. It's one thing to talk about how one is going to play to the players strengths, but when the going gets tough, I think any human is going to try to rely on what they know, forcing us into a lot of passing situations where that is not our current strength. Having a seasoned head coach is a strength in many ways, however it also means he has 40 some years of passing identity conditioning, that may prove difficult for him to somehow magically switch off this year to focus on the run.. Offensively, it could get ugly. Defensively, it could get ugly as well.

7-5.. It's one thing to talk about how one is going to play to the players strengths, but when the going gets tough, I think any human is going to try to rely on what they know, forcing us into a lot of passing situations where that is not our current strength. Having a seasoned head coach is a strength in many ways, however it also means he has 40 some years of passing identity conditioning, that may prove difficult for him to somehow magically switch off this year to focus on the run.. Offensively, it could get ugly. Defensively, it could get ugly as well.
Looking at his history at Oregon State, Riley has had multiple season where he rushed more than he passed. The players on hand dictated what the offense did. To say 40 years of passing identity conditioning doesn't do Riley justice. If our identity is more rush than pass then we will rush the ball more. That has been his identity over the years, not a pass first offense.

All that being said, our defense, while talented, is thin at linebacker... If the injury bug hits we could be in for a bumpy ride.

Looking at his history at Oregon State, Riley has had multiple season where he rushed more than he passed. The players on hand dictated what the offense did. To say 40 years of passing identity conditioning doesn't do Riley justice. If our identity is more rush than pass then we will rush the ball more. That has been his identity over the years, not a pass first offense.

All that being said, our defense, while talented, is thin at linebacker... If the injury bug hits we could be in for a bumpy ride.
I'm looking at it more from a QB position I suppose.. Riley hasn't had a running QB nor relied on one in the past, so I think that's the part that will be difficult for him to magically switch on. We don't have a proven tailback either. Hopefully that helps explain my thinking on it.

Reactions: nothingkevin
I'm looking at it more from a QB position I suppose.. Riley hasn't had a running QB nor relied on one in the past, so I think that's the part that will be difficult for him to magically switch on. We don't have a proven tailback either. Hopefully that helps explain my thinking on it.
Thanks for clarifying, that does help me understand your position better. Makes sense, too.

How do you figure? What is the correlation there?

I believe he is poking fun at the notion that you have your own recruiting ranking board.

I know a lot of people would love to see it. Is it in a spreadsheet? Could you upload it to google docs? Or is it a true board posted on a wall or something? Would you take a picture of it?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I believe he is poking fun at the notion that you have your own recruiting ranking board.

I know a lot of people would love to see it. Is it in a spreadsheet? Could you upload it to google docs? Or is it a true board posted on a wall or something? Would you take a picture of it?
Yeah...I think I can show an example

For the first time in a VERY long time I'm drinking the kool-aid. 10-2.
Not sure why that is drinking the kool-aid when virtually all the polls have us ranked higher than ten opponents on our schedule...some higher than 11 opponents on our schedule.

Also, miami may have the slightest edge in speed and overall talent

Oh good....we're already conceding the speed to a southern team. Slow farm boys from the upper Midwest......yep that's our team!

The fact that Bo's circus could handle the "speed" of Miami has me pretty confident we will be ok.

If we can get past Miami undefeated then look out. BYU will be tough, just ask Texas. Miami for all their issues still has athletes and it's our first road game. I expect our team under Riley to get a lot better as the season progresses. Wisconsin as our second B1G game will be huge. Wisconsin has shown the can change head coaches and still pound us. If we really look and play different under Riley it will show with this game and the Minnesota game. If we're still undefeated then god help Michigan State cause we will be clicking on all cylinders. And i won't expect a Iowa hangover neither. We could easily be 12-0 or 11-1 if Riley brings it this year. Blue blood + Mike Riley = OH MY!

Last edited:
BYU will be a tougher game than Miami. Not sure where all the Miami love is coming from. Yeah, we're starting fresh with Riley, I get that, but Miami is not good.

BYU will be a tougher game than Miami. Not sure where all the Miami love is coming from. Yeah, we're starting fresh with Riley, I get that, but Miami is not good.

The south Florida humidity will show what kind of shape we're in. Playing down there is a great advantage for Miami.

Nebraska could lose at Miami, but claims of Nebraska's "inexperience" in relation to the Canes are flawed. Miami has a much younger roster than Nebraska. Their offensive line especially will be among the "greenest" in college football.

Nebraska will have a transition that may halt some success. That's just common sense. But I think one advantage Riley has is experience. Aside from depth at linebacker, the vast majority of the football team has been in the program for at least 3 full seasons.

This is an interesting number and I believe it's a major reason why Nebraska will beat Wisconsin. The Badgers, in 2014, had 34 payers in their 2 deep and on special teams who had been in the program at least 3 seasons. 6 if their starters had actually played with JJ Watt in 2010.

That number will go down to 11 for Wisconsin in 2015. 18 of their starting 22 will be from Gary Andersen recruiting classes. Only 11 players are left over from Bielesma.

Wisconsin, for years, has been a "plug and play" reload type of team. Andersen messed with that formula. Its been halted.

The Badgers schedule is a collossal joke, and from that standpoint I don't blame anyone for picking them by default in the West. But the people who voted them in the top 25 are nuts. They could lose to Bama, Nebraska, and Minnesota, go 9-3, and actually not beat a team with a winning record.

I believe Nebraska beats Wisconsin rather easily this season.

Oh... There is nothing unpredictable about the Iowa game.

I agree on BYU. The first game under a new coaching staff is bound to have some difficulties. And their QB is the real deal.

I don't think we can expect a W vs Wisconsin until we prove otherwise. Overall, I think we start kind of slow but gain momentum as the season moves on. Can't expect to beat Mich State but I think we'll give them a good fight.

BYU - L
South Alabama - W
Miami-FL - W
Southern Miss. - W
Illinois - W
Wisconsin - L
Minnesota - W
Northwestern - W
Purdue - W
Michigan State - L
Rutgers - W
Iowa - W

Reactions: NCHusker19
If we lose at home to Iowa, it'll be a long offseason for MR. Not a game we should lose.

I am not sold on Wisky - especially in Lincoln. I agree BYU is a push, and MSU a L right now. Minnesota will be tough on the road - but we won't be out coached. 9-3 seems likely - 10-2 if Riley gets the most out of the offense and the D is solid (depth is my big concern on D - injuries will impact the D). 11-1 if we are alot better than we think due to Bo fart moments the last 2 seasons.

The schedule sets us up perfectly for a B1G West Division Title. The non conference slate is honestly a warm up for Riley and company.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT