ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU recruiting Nebraska

Yeah, the price of college has gone up enough that even in-state tuition for a state school is a lot of money for most families.

Even if me and my kid were huge Nebraska fans, a scholarship offer is hard to turn down. The price of college compared to wages has more than doubled in those last 15 years.

Yeah, the price of college has gone up enough that even in-state tuition for a state school is a lot of money for most families.

Even if me and my kid were huge Nebraska fans, a scholarship offer is hard to turn down. The price of college compared to wages has more than doubled in those last 15 years.

Agreed. The Dakota schools have more to offer than 15 years ago, when they were D2 like UNO. However, when these schools all upgraded to Division I, UNO (wisely) chose hockey and dropped football.

I agree economics has made a difference, but IMHO, the Callahan/Pelini years didn't kill the walk on program, but compared to years ago, it has gone to near life support. Add to it Nebraska's decline as a national power and it just seems the kids don't see as much prestige in walking on as kids in decades past. It won't get any better over the next decade or so, as you see kids nowadays wearing other schools gear much more than previous generations.

It's all about the playing time. First, these other schools actually offer a chance to get on the field. Second, it is my perception that fewer walk-ons are actually playing on Saturdays for the Big Red. That might be because there are fewer diamonds in the rough with 24/7 recruiting or it may be because our recent coaches haven't given walk-ons a chance.

In the Osborne years walk-ons felt they had a chance...I'm guessing now that chance is being minimalized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT