ADVERTISEMENT

Schleppenbach......

bigredrl

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2002
Wichita, KS
Is he hurt? Banged up? What’s the story with only starting 1 game this last weekend and a single PH performance between the other 2? Has the highest average on the team. Doesn’t walk a lot but doesn’t strike out much either. Has a good fielding %, much better than Edrington or Plezack. If I missed something regarding an injury then apologies in advance but it seems awfully stupid to pulling him from the lineup in lieu of either of the other 2 current options.

This team is challenged and can't afford to pull a bat like this.

I believe he is only starting against right handlers on the weekend games. Supposedly he isn't getting good swings against lefties. I am not a big fan of that decision but I don't get paid to make them.

if thats the true reason then this coaching staff isn't as good as I thought they were. Edrington is batting something like .190. Placzek is low .200's. How much worse could Jake S. be against lefties? And I understand 2b is easier postion to field than SS where they both have spent some time, but fielding %'s in .930-.940 range are average at best so it would appear we might be worse off offensively and defensively.

range is a bigger deal than fielding percentage and it isnt close. having said that, there's no reason to play someone hitting .200 when you have a valid alternative.

Geez, that's an incredible play.

I'm a pretty big Schlepp fan too. I can handle sitting him periodically, but he should play 4/5 games.

range is a bigger deal than fielding percentage and it isnt close. having said that, there's no reason to play someone hitting .200 when you have a valid alternative.
Can agree FP isnt the only variable to look at, but range isn't that helpful if your going boot 1 out of 10.

it is if you get to 30% more plays. range is by far and away more important. it isn't close.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but your also using extremes. If one position player at higher D1 levels has 30% more range than another.....then the one with lessor range is probably out of positon to begin with.

The threrad was also about our currently healthy 3 middle infielders, none of which have even remotely close to 30% more range than their counterparts. Schlepp has more than adequate range, has much higher FP than the other 2 (or really 1 since Wes hasnt played 2B to my knowledge), and has a much higher BA. Not playing him is a mystery to me.

Reactions: Todd Manta Ray
It just seems like DE wants everyone to have a chance to play. A 35 man roster is huge and if all of them can contribute at some level the coaches get to play lefty/righty matchups with ease. They like that, it seems, so they do that. That's all I can figure.

I know that So Carolina has seven players on red shirt status. Maybe many teams do but we don't. Lots of RSs = smaller roster = less lineup changes. We got a big roster, lots of contributors.

Still, I'm leaving Schlepp in.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but your also using extremes. If one position player at higher D1 levels has 30% more range than another.....then the one with lessor range is probably out of positon to begin with.

The threrad was also about our currently healthy 3 middle infielders, none of which have even remotely close to 30% more range than their counterparts. Schlepp has more than adequate range, has much higher FP than the other 2 (or really 1 since Wes hasnt played 2B to my knowledge), and has a much higher BA. Not playing him is a mystery to me.

I wasn't the one who started using extremes -- the previous poster said if you boot 1 out of 10 that you shouldn't be playing.

completely ignoring that even the most surehanded infielders (think jhonny peralta) make errors.

the metric is who makes the most errorless plays. it doesnt matter how many errors you make if you make more plays otherwise to make up for it because that error would be a single with a guy with lesser range (which is in effect the same thing... you still end up with everyone moving forward a base -- it hurts their BA and your fielding percentage but the guy is still on first base regardless). it's more frustrating to your pitcher so it CAN have a psychological effect but from a sheer numbers standpoint there is no real difference.

total plays under similar circumstances is the metric. if the guy makes more plays you can handle a few more errors. that's all that i'm saying. the "you're only using extremes" argument is bunk.

i will add in here.... there's a reason that minor league shortstops who are good fielders can and usually have HUGE error numbers that can be very misleading. shoddy fields, bad first basemen who don't bail them out -- all that gets ironed out as they move up in levels. We're at roughly the equivalent of low A ball.. errors are going to happen at short.

range and arm strength at short is what separates the men from the boys.

i will add in here.... there's a reason that minor league shortstops who are good fielders can and usually have HUGE error numbers that can be very misleading. shoddy fields, bad first basemen who don't bail them out -- all that gets ironed out as they move up in levels. We're at roughly the equivalent of low A ball.. errors are going to happen at short.

range and arm strength at short is what separates the men from the boys.
Not saying your wrong, but what does ss have to do with why our best option at 2b is getting splinters in his arse.

same principle applies... they're both middle infielders. shortstops are the extreme example... i had shortstops on the brain last night.

ADVERTISEMENT