ADVERTISEMENT

Riley yanking QBs?

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Anyone have any knowledge of Riley's proclivity for yanking QBs when they might be crapping the bed? Any idea of his OSU past? Just curious if he rides the same horse a la Bo, or if he might be more apt to try something new?

That being said I hope TA does well of course

He and Langsdorf aren't fearful at all. They give all the QB's equal reps in practice and go over game plans and preparation equally.

Gotcha... Any history of QB yanking with the ascendency of Mannion, Anderson and 3rd nfl guy I can't think of?

I seem to remember reading that they do a better job in splitting up the entire team and allow the 2s and 3s to compete against each other as well. The same report eluded to the fact that prior to HCMR, a lot of the back ups did a lot of standing around.

2010: Ryan Katz was the starting QB as a soph
2011: Katz lost the job to Mannion, who was a frosh. Katz transferred and started his Sr. year (2012) at San Diego St.
2012: Midway through season, Mannion was benched for Jr. Cody Vaz. I believe Mannion had some injury issues, but even when healthy, they stuck with Vaz.
2013: Mannion won the job back from Vaz and played all meaningful snaps.
2014: Mannion played all meaningful snaps.

Reactions: huskerj12
Well we wouldn't have the 9 game winning streak if Ron Kellogg3 didn't come in and save us a few times. IMO; when any football player or pitcher for that matter is off; a better team solution should be tried. Multiple Husker legends said Coach TO would do this; and they appreciated the break and instruction when they needed it - of course some felt that over time:)..... After this year it should be mandatory; as our QB corps will be filling up with talent. We are thinner now; with youth having something to prove, even in fall camp

Well we wouldn't have the 9 game winning streak if Ron Kellogg3 didn't come in and save us a few times. IMO; when any football player or pitcher for that matter is off; a better team solution should be tried. Multiple Husker legends said Coach TO would do this; and they appreciated the break and instruction when they needed it - of course some felt that over time:)..... After this year it should be mandatory; as our QB corps will be filling up with talent. We are thinner now; with youth having something to prove, even in fall camp

I dont think the switching of TA and RK3back and forth was because TA was doing badly, it was more because of his inexperience. And it was planned before the game to go two series with ta then one or two with rk3. It wasn't like TA sucked ass this first half im playing rk3 the second. It was scripted from the get go. Take the Minnesota game we lost at their house two years ago, Bozo went with TM the entire game even though he was the main reason we lost that game, TA performed well in the previous games but bozo wouldnt take TM out when he was clearly hurting and couldn't produce sh*t on offense. He should have tried TA at least a series or two but his stubborn ass wouldnt admit he was wrong about playing TM.

Cool. Any reason they liked RK for playing time in specific games. I don't remember; he may have played most every game for experience; like MIzzou did years back; even with the snot qb years back>

Tommy Armstrong was not good. It's not hard to see why they played Martinez against Minnesota. The week before Tommy was 6 of 18 for 44 yards with 3 INTs against a Purdue team that finished 1-11. The next week after Minny, Tommy was 15 of 29 for 173 with 1 TD/3 INTs against NW when RK3 threw the Hail Mary.

Man... I just cringe thinking about the QB situation a little bit. If Ronnie K was our best option at times, we were definitely in trouble...

Well the "new" 9 game winning streak thanks to Bill Callahan.

That was part of my concerns when Magic was our QB. He could fumble and toss a few picks, all in consecutive series, and he never saw the bench once (unless he was hurt).

At this level, ANY spot on the field needs to know they have to perform at a high level or risk seeing the bench...

GBR

Tommy Armstrong was not good. It's not hard to see why they played Martinez against Minnesota. The week before Tommy was 6 of 18 for 44 yards with 3 INTs against a Purdue team that finished 1-11. The next week after Minny, Tommy was 15 of 29 for 173 with 1 TD/3 INTs against NW when RK3 threw the Hail Mary.
Nice cherry picking...

I was at the Minnesota game and wondered why TM was playing the entire game when he wasn't getting it done.

Armstrong was bad against Purdue, no question. What does the Northwestern game have to do with anything? It hadn't been played yet, which makes me laugh that you use this as proof TA shouldn't have played against Minnesota... Did the coaches have a time machine? Is that how they knew not to play Armstrong against Minnesota? And if they did, why didn't they just watch the game so they could watch the handful of plays Minnesota destroyed us on and then we could have defended it.

A better comparison would be more games before Minnesota, which I decided to check on, and this is what I found... Against SDSU, Armstrong was 12-15 for 169 yards and no ints. Against Illinois Armstrong was 8-13 for 135 with no ints. Admittedly he did poorly against Purdue, but the two games prior to Purdue were not bad games at all. No TDs, but no ints either. Do we judge our QBs on one bad game? The first one they have we bench them?

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerO
You guys are ridiculous. ..RK hurt us just as much as helped.

We have a 9 game win streak because Tommy beat Georgia with a 99yd TD.

Coaches don't yank QBs out of games. If TA sucks then that was the worst OL in history. They can't even snap the ball right.

From all the interviews I have read I think this staff understands this is a high pressure job. Between that and their experience with quarterbacks I would assume they will know what needs to be done as far as the QB position goes!

Nice cherry picking...

I was at the Minnesota game and wondered why TM was playing the entire game when he wasn't getting it done.

Armstrong was bad against Purdue, no question. What does the Northwestern game have to do with anything? It hadn't been played yet, which makes me laugh that you use this as proof TA shouldn't have played against Minnesota... Did the coaches have a time machine? Is that how they knew not to play Armstrong against Minnesota? And if they did, why didn't they just watch the game so they could watch the handful of plays Minnesota destroyed us on and then we could have defended it.

A better comparison would be more games before Minnesota, which I decided to check on, and this is what I found... Against SDSU, Armstrong was 12-15 for 169 yards and no ints. Against Illinois Armstrong was 8-13 for 135 with no ints. Admittedly he did poorly against Purdue, but the two games prior to Purdue were not bad games at all. No TDs, but no ints either. Do we judge our QBs on one bad game? The first one they have we bench them?

my general point was that tommy was not good, which was an answer to the post before mine asking when/why RK3 played. The NW performance is just further evidence of where he was as a QB midway through the 13 season. Fortunately, he's improved a bunch. Ceiling of 2nd team all conf this year...I hope he does it.

my general point was that tommy was not good, which was an answer to the post before mine asking when/why RK3 played. The NW performance is just further evidence of where he was as a QB midway through the 13 season. Fortunately, he's improved a bunch. Ceiling of 2nd team all conf this year...I hope he does it.
But statistically he was not good only for one game up to the Minnesota game. The other two games he played in prior to Minnesota he completed 71% of his passes. That's pretty darn good for a freshman, and your argument was not where he was mid year, but why he shouldn't have played in the Minnesota game. At no point in that post did you even hint at how he was mid year... The argument you made according to those two games you mentioned was the reason he should not have played in the Minnesota game.

Admittedly, the sample size to that point was not very large, just three games. But the first two games said we had a really good QB on our hands.

I don't think what TA had done prior to the Purdue game showed him to be really good. Serviceable, possibly. Really good, no. Wasn't asked to do too much, given the plays that he could handle. Once that went on film, teams see what he can do and take it away and the Purdue and NW games (two not good teams) were the result. I used the NW game as evidence that the coaches had made the correct decision, not to jusitfy the decision at the time. Maybe phrased poorly, but whatever.

I don't think what TA had done prior to the Purdue game showed him to be really good. Serviceable, possibly. Really good, no. Wasn't asked to do too much, given the plays that he could handle. Once that went on film, teams see what he can do and take it away and the Purdue and NW games (two not good teams) were the result. I used the NW game as evidence that the coaches had made the correct decision, not to jusitfy the decision at the time. Maybe phrased poorly, but whatever.
Fair enough. I probably got hung up on your words. Appreciate the clarification here.

ADVERTISEMENT