ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Davis-late 80s Omaha Creighton Prep RB

inorbit

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2009
Anybody know what happened to him? I know he committed to Stanford class of 87. Never heard anything about him after that. Omaha had a hell of a rb class that year. Leodis Flowers, Ricky Davis, George Achola, and Terry Thomas. All of them had the best programs in the nation beating their doors down. State track meet that year- Class A 100 meter final, Davis won it, I think he beat out Thomas. Those were some good ole days.

Anybody know what happened to him? I know he committed to Stanford class of 87. Never heard anything about him after that. Omaha had a hell of a rb class that year. Leodis Flowers, Ricky Davis, George Achola, and Terry Thomas. All of them had the best programs in the nation beating their doors down. State track meet that year- Class A 100 meter final, Davis won it, I think he beat out Thomas. Those were some good ole days.

Terry Thomas (Burke) was a WR and not a RB. He was a track athlete playing football. I would classify the RBs (Davis, Flowers, and Achola) as football players that ran track.

Terry Thomas (Burke) was a WR and not a RB. He was a track athlete playing football. I would classify the RBs (Davis, Flowers, and Achola) as football players that ran track.

You can classify them how ever you want, but during the end of the 80's the state track meet was really fun to be at. I want to say there was a 400 relay team that Omaha Central had that consisted of Leodis Flowers, Curtis Cotton, Kelly Yancy & Calvin Jones. They didn't win, but that was because their second leg, who I think was Cotton, pulled a hamstring half way down the backstretch and hopped on 1 leg for the final 25 meters. I think they still managed to get 3rd.

That was a pretty impressive time for state high school track in Nebraska, both boys and girls.

The 86 Central team time of 41.91 stood for 13 years. The events that were in their glory years during the 80's were the throws. Top two shot puts are from the early 80s still and top three discus throw as well. With kids getting bigger and stronger, it is a disappointment these marks are still tops.

You can classify them how ever you want, but during the end of the 80's the state track meet was really fun to be at. I want to say there was a 400 relay team that Omaha Central had that consisted of Leodis Flowers, Curtis Cotton, Kelly Yancy & Calvin Jones. They didn't win, but that was because their second leg, who I think was Cotton, pulled a hamstring half way down the backstretch and hopped on 1 leg for the final 25 meters. I think they still managed to get 3rd.

That was a pretty impressive time for state high school track in Nebraska, both boys and girls.

I see Curtis once in a while at work. Dude still looks like he is playing shape. His kids are all probably even faster than he was. I always enjoy speaking with him. Really nice guy with a great family.

I graduated 87 as well and played against Davis and Achola at UNO'S field. I also ran track against all these dudes. Needless to say I got switched to middle distance after that. Thats the last I heard of Ricky also was went to Stanford on a track scolie, was faster than George but not as good of back. I think Terry Thomas was actually the fastest of all of them.

Agree on Thomas being the fastest of the group. Davis got a flier in the state meet 100 m in 87. He was a head case though which led to his issues post high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT