ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thus far

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
It would be interesting to see the data of recruit averages thus far that Riley has pulled in vs. his Oregon State days. It seems like he has had more 4 star type talent already in one year than OSU has had in numerous years combined. My wife is an OSU grad, and I hear a lot of her friends freaking out about OSU doesn't realize what they lost. Hopefully he lights it up here, but I feel like OSU loved having Riley leave at first, but now the realization of what he did there is starting to set in.

Might be the most ridiculous and disingenuous statement I've seen on RSS.

It would be interesting to see the data of recruit averages thus far that Riley has pulled in vs. his Oregon State days. It seems like he has had more 4 star type talent already in one year than OSU has had in numerous years combined. My wife is an OSU grad, and I hear a lot of her friends freaking out about OSU doesn't realize what they lost. Hopefully he lights it up here, but I feel like OSU loved having Riley leave at first, but now the realization of what he did there is starting to set in.

There was a post on RSS which addressed this yesterday. It also looked at offers from other Power 5 schools for recruits who signed with Nebraska and recruits who signed with Oregon State.

I won't copy the data because I don't think that's allowed. But in 2013 and 14, Nebraska's recruits had more Power 5 offers combined than all of Riley's classes from 2009 to 2014.

Riley's recent recruiting success in 6 months on the job suggests 3 things:

1. Oregon State's location, lack of support, facilities, and other factors were far bigger hurdles than anything at Nebraska.

2. Bo Pelini and staff complained about way too many "hurdles" which really weren't that Big of a deal.

3. The N on the helmet still has some cache Nationally. The Dedrick Young's, Adam Tayors, Westerkamps, Newbys, and McMullens of the world are always going to give Nebraska serious looks. Riley sees that and wants to bring in more of them per season.

One other thing I've noticed about Riley is his targeting of speed. If a kid is lightly recruited, its because he's raw, untested and needs development. But he's finding athletes. Alex Davis has zero technique and might be 2 years from playing. But that kid is 6'5 230 with 4.6 speed and a 42 inch vert to go with a Michael Jordan type wing span. Aphonso Thomas has an explosive first step and can reach full bore after one cut. I guarantee they're going to use him on special teams and as a change of pace runner in their screen and counter game.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I've been clamoring for a "lightning rod" recruiter for several years now. We haven't hired one.

That said, I am impressed by the results that HCMR and his staff have shown so far.

There was a post on RSS which addressed this yesterday. It also looked at offers from other Power 5 schools for recruits who signed with Nebraska and recruits who signed with Oregon State.

I won't copy the data because I don't think that's allowed. But in 2013 and 14, Nebraska's recruits had more Power 5 offers combined than all of Riley's classes from 2009 to 2014.

Riley's recent recruiting success in 6 months on the job suggests 3 things:

1. Oregon State's location, lack of support, facilities, and other factors were far bigger hurdles than anything at Nebraska.

2. Bo Pelini and staff complained about way too many "hurdles" which really weren't that Big of a deal.

3. The N on the helmet still has some cache Nationally. The Dedrick Young's, Adam Tayors, Westerkamps, Newbys, and McMullens of the world are always going to give Nebraska serious looks. Riley sees that and wants to bring in more of them per season.

One other thing I've noticed about Riley is his targeting of speed. If a kid is lightly recruited, its because he's raw, untested and needs development. But he's finding athletes. Alex Davis has zero technique and might be 2 years from playing. But that kid is 6'5 230 with 4.6 speed and a 42 inch vert to go with a Michael Jordan type wing span. Aphonso Thomas has an explosive first step and can reach full bore after one cut. I guarantee they're going to use him on special teams and as a change of pace runner in their screen and counter game.

I was specifically speaking of the claim that McNeese State had top 25 speed by the resident expert on RSS.

Just a cursory glance at more recent history, zero 4* recruits his last two years at OrSU. Prior to that, could be 1/2/3 4*'s in a given year. We have two 4* commits at this point (Raridon and Dismuke). I don't have a subscription, so I don't know what was posted on RSS. I already spend too much time looking at NU football, so no in-depth looking at OrSU for me.

The separation of NU vs OrSU at this point is the talent rating is better for the overall class. We still have to finish filling out our commit list and get them signed for a true evaluation. Rhetorically speaking, do we land more top/middle/bottom tier recruits as we go forward? Based solely on history and rivals scoring with the new calculation method, a team will need around 1700 to 1800 points to finish in rivals top 25. Our current trajectory, if we stay on it, has us finishing outside the rivals top 25.

Last time I looked, we had 115-ish offers out that APPEAR to be still under consideration (meaning not scratched off the list). The majority of the offers were 4* or higher. I don't know how many of these offers have a realistic shot of becoming a landed commit. We are making new offers as the days go by. So, as an outside observer, it appears that staff is still looking for committable targets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT