19. Oklahoma
20. Arkansas
21. Stanford
22. Arizona
23. Missouri
24. Boise State
25. Tennessee

Others Receiving Votes
Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Utah, Kansas State, Louisville, Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State, South Carolina, Miami (FL), Texas, Illinois, Duke, Air Force, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Utah State, West Virginia, North Carolina State, Brigham Young, Florida, Georgia Southern, North Carolina, Maryland, Michigan, Kentucky, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Washington

Slightly but not dramatically below where I thought we'd start. We finished last year #23 in the coaches poll (#25 AP, #29 in computer consensus) and we return a below average number of returning starters. Plus I think there's at least a perception that last year our offense went as far as Ameer could take it. Which might be at least partially accurate.

We get measurably improved QB play, and good health at LB & DE and I like our chances to surprise people. I don't think we should be ranked at this point, maybe right on the edge of the top 25.

Link: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2015/1/

1. Ohio State (62)
2. Texas Christian (1)
3. Alabama (1)
4. Baylor
5. Oregon
6. Michigan State
7. Auburn
8. Florida State
9. Georgia
10. USC
11. Notre Dame
12. Clemson
13. LSU
14. UCLA
15. Mississippi
16. Arizona State
17. Georgia Tech
18. Wisconsin
19. Oklahoma
20. Arkansas
21. Stanford
22. Arizona
23. Missouri
24. Boise State
25. Tennessee

Others Receiving Votes
Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Utah, Kansas State, Louisville, Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State, South Carolina, Miami (FL), Texas, Illinois, Duke, Air Force, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Utah State, West Virginia, North Carolina State, Brigham Young, Florida, Georgia Southern, North Carolina, Maryland, Michigan, Kentucky, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Washington

Of course Just like every year the preseason polls make the SEC tougher than it actually is. B1G has 3 teams in the Top 25 while the Juggernaut that is the SEC has 8. What a Freaking Joke, I'm so sick of the SEC love fest! I hate the SEC more than I hate Texas and that is saying something!

Of course Just like every year the preseason polls make the SEC tougher than it actually is. B1G has 3 teams in the Top 25 while the Juggernaut that is the SEC has 8. What a Freaking Joke, I'm so sick of the SEC love fest! I hate the SEC more than I hate Texas and that is saying something!

Which SEC teams do you think shouldn't be ranked? I would argue Tennessee is one, but I think ARK is deserving. Ole Miss might have a top-5 defense in the country this year. LSU's skill players are elite. I get why people are annoyed at the SEC chest-thumping, but aside from Tenn I don't see which SEC team shouldn't be in the poll.

Which SEC teams do you think shouldn't be ranked? I would argue Tennessee is one, but I think ARK is deserving. Ole Miss might have a top-5 defense in the country this year. LSU's skill players are elite. I get why people are annoyed at the SEC chest-thumping, but aside from Tenn I don't see which SEC team shouldn't be in the poll.
Missouri and Tennessee should be replaced with Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan or Minnesota they all could be there and should for the sake of balance.

Now When Arkansas gets beat by Texas AM they just switch spots... and then when Kentucky beats Missouri they just switch spots... and then when LSU play Auburn they just switch spot... ect... ect... ect... Do I need to keep going

For the sake of an argument here I will leave Nebraska out

Put Minnesota at 23 and Penn St. at 25

You could argue all day about which teams are better than the other... both of those teams have just as much of an argument to be in there as Tennessee and Missouri

6/5 is a helluv a lot better than 8/3

I frankly don't care who is ranked where and by which league. You just have to win. Ohio State won and look where it got them. TCU seems to be doing OK with their recent success and they are not in the SEC. I remember the old days of the Big 8 when teams knocked each other off year after year and it didn't seem to hurt anything. So help me out, what does "balance" have to do with anything? Coaches line em up how they think they start the year based on who they have coming back, schedules and so on. Take Michigan for instance, what do they have going for them? Again, I think polls are for star gazers. Win and it all takes care of itself. Play like we have in the past few years and don't complain about not being ranked.

You do realize Basketball has the same poll when their season starts as well.

Plus how else do we know who is suppose to be good....no rankings just means everybody pays attention to the big name schools

Makes win and losses more significant. The poll corrects itself as the season goes on.

Reactions: otismotis08
SEC with only 1 team in the top 5?!?! must be a misprint

Are the Illini really supposed to be that great?

Slightly but not dramatically below where I thought we'd start. We finished last year #23 in the coaches poll (#25 AP, #29 in computer consensus) and we return a below average number of returning starters. Plus I think there's at least a perception that last year our offense went as far as Ameer could take it. Which might be at least partially accurate.

We get measurably improved QB play, and good health at LB & DE and I like our chances to surprise people. I don't think we should be ranked at this point, maybe right on the edge of the top 25.

TA hasn't taken a single snap yet, and he's already measurably better?

Missouri and Tennessee should be replaced with Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan or Minnesota they all could be there and should for the sake of balance.

Now When Arkansas gets beat by Texas AM they just switch spots... and then when Kentucky beats Missouri they just switch spots... and then when LSU play Auburn they just switch spot... ect... ect... ect... Do I need to keep going

For the sake of an argument here I will leave Nebraska out

Put Minnesota at 23 and Penn St. at 25

You could argue all day about which teams are better than the other... both of those teams have just as much of an argument to be in there as Tennessee and Missouri

6/5 is a helluv a lot better than 8/3

What does Minny have coming back? I know they lost their bell cow and the QB play has been spotty the past few years.

I'll grant you Mizzou is probably overrated, but I wouldn't have NEB or Penn State ranked right now. NEB's QB play has been at issue for some time, and a new system might help that down the road, but perhaps not in year 1. Penn State's OL is a raging dumpster fire and it still has depth issues. But the real issue is a lack of quality teams across the board. After the first 6-8 or so, there are a ton of questions for teams to answer.

Georgia is ranked alarmingly low.

Not sure if this is in jest or not, but UGA has two key problems: QB and C.

And those are two massive problems to have. QB could be good, could be bad. C could be good, could be bad. But if the C is bad it means the OL has to shuffle which makes a strength an unknown. I think 9 is a tad high, personally. Believe it or not I think ND is actually underrated, which might be the first time anyone could ever say that with a straight face.

Face it, folks. We've fallen from the rankings and need to EARN our way back. Win games and avoid the blowouts, and we'll get there soon.

Not sure if this is in jest or not, but UGA has two key problems: QB and C.

And those are two massive problems to have. QB could be good, could be bad. C could be good, could be bad. But if the C is bad it means the OL has to shuffle which makes a strength an unknown. I think 9 is a tad high, personally. Believe it or not I think ND is actually underrated, which might be the first time anyone could ever say that with a straight face.

It was in jest, but not trying to start a fight. I just always notice UGA in the top 5/10 preseason and by the end of the year, they're out of it.

TA hasn't taken a single snap yet, and he's already measurably better?

No, what I was trying to say was that we needed measurably better play from the QB position. There was an implied "if" at the start of that sentence. Improved QB play is not guaranteed, nor is good health at the linebacker position. Armstrong was average last year. Need better than that if we're going to be a top 25 team, and win even the B1G West.

I could of swore BYU was a top 20 team based on some of the "fan" commentary...

In losing Ameer and Randy, there does appear to be some huge losses on the outside looking in...so I get why we're not ranked. However, count me as someone who thinks we'll have some guys step-up to abate those concerns, and I also that there was some talent that wasn't being utilized that will be now in the new schemes.

I know this thread is about preseason rankings but I must say again that I really like our chances with our upcoming schedule. 2 toughest opponents at home (Mich St & Wisky). @Miami, @Minnesota, BYU probably our next 3 toughest games.

Interesting that our last opponent last season, USC, is rated #10.

GBR

I don't see how Notre Dame is ranked so high and Arkansas is ranked so low. Both return a plethora of talent but at the end of the year last year, I think Arky would have waxed them. Actually, I think Arky surprises the SEC traditionals. Maybe an Ole Miss-type run with a better coach and QB

And we, as an unexamined product, are right where we need to be. I like being off of the radar. When noone is looking at you, you sneak right by them

I don't see how Notre Dame is ranked so high and Arkansas is ranked so low. Both return a plethora of talent but at the end of the year last year, I think Arky would have waxed them. Actually, I think Arky surprises the SEC traditionals. Maybe an Ole Miss-type run with a better coach and QB

ARK's schedule is so tough, though. It could very well be a better team and still finish 7-5. But ARK is going to beat a blue blood. Maybe AUB. Probably LSU, too. That team is going to be tough.

ARK's schedule is so tough, though. It could very well be a better team and still finish 7-5. But ARK is going to beat a blue blood. Maybe AUB. Probably LSU, too. That team is going to be tough.

Very possible. Notre Dame plays Texas (meh), USC, Clemson, GT and a few others. I don't see them finishing at 11th when it's all said and done. They beat a mediocre LSU team and ran an offense for the first time (unscouted) and now they think that a pourous defense will suddenly be world stoppers again. I think they're going to lose 4 games or more. I believe Arkansas will be a 2-3 loss team.

Thanks Bo for turning our defense into a laughing stock. POS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT