ADVERTISEMENT

Please Stop

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
...freaking out about this team. Let's step back for a moment. Nebraska has had two bad days in a month: The doubleheader sweep at Maryland and the Friday loss to Minnesota. Other than that all the losses have been by one-run or in extra innings to strong teams.

Yesterday was an absolutely ridiculous loss but baseball is sometimes cruel like that. The bottom line is this: The clutch hits and favorable bounces that we saw in March are not happening in April. Over 56 games those things even out and it will flip the other way again sooner or later. It's possible we could see the Huskers tank the rest of the season and miss both the conference and NCAA tournaments. It's also possible they could rip off 12-15 more wins and get a national seed. The likely outcome is somewhere in the middle.

Talk to me again after today's doubleheader.

Reactions: k9_r
One run losses count the same as ten run losses. This team is still in solid position to make a regional assuming we don't get swept today or tank a series vs Purdue/NW but we also were in great position at the start of April to host a regional. Now the consensus is we are a #3 seed floating on the bubble and our offense appears to only want to show up against midweek pitching. This team is capable of winning two today and that would be a good start and should get us back on track.

One run losses count the same as ten run losses. This team is still in solid position to make a regional assuming we don't get swept today or tank a series vs Purdue/NW but we also were in great position at the start of April to host a regional. Now the consensus is we are a #3 seed floating on the bubble and our offense appears to only want to show up against midweek pitching. This team is capable of winning two today and that would be a good start and should get us back on track.
There's no consensus. One guy at D1Baseball and one other guy at BaseballAmerica (or wherever that was) do not make a consensus.

The committee will do what it always does and that is to slave itself to RPI and 35+ wins. Kendall Rogers can call us a bubble team all he wants. Doesn't make it so.

One run losses count the same as ten run losses.

Of course they do. The point, however, is that this is not a Mike Anderson-type skid where things turn south and they start pressing and getting spanked every other game. They've been competing all season long and just haven't gotten over the hump as much lately.

Sure, we can still make a regional. But hosting seems like it's pretty unlikely, and missing out on that would be a disappointment in itself because we had things set up so well to get to host. And making a regional at all is far from a sure thing at this point, and just a few weeks ago, that didn't even seem like it could be a possibility. We started the conference 3-0. At that point, I don't think anybody thought that 10 games later we would be below .500 in the conference. Our margin for error is getting pretty small, and that should not be the case.

Sure, we can still make a regional. But hosting seems like it's pretty unlikely, and missing out on that would be a disappointment in itself because we had things set up so well to get to host. And making a regional at all is far from a sure thing at this point, and just a few weeks ago, that didn't even seem like it could be a possibility. We started the conference 3-0. At that point, I don't think anybody thought that 10 games later we would be below .500 in the conference. Our margin for error is getting pretty small, and that should not be the case.
Agreed that their opinion could totally be wrong. We will see. Hopefully this team can get back on track starting today.

if someone would have told me that we would sweep Texas and then take a nose dive in the conference I would have told them they were nuts. It seems lke their confidence got a little to high after that series. Its just hard to belive a team that was playing solid ball would take such a big slide. Yes its baseball but this team really seemed special. Then the bats stop working and so do the gloves. Thank god our pitching has still been amazing. pWith all that said, lets GBR

if someone would have told me that we would sweep Texas and then take a nose dive in the conference I would have told them they were nuts. It seems lke their confidence got a little to high after that series. Its just hard to belive a team that was playing solid ball would take such a big slide. Yes its baseball but this team really seemed special. Then the bats stop working and so do the gloves. Thank god our pitching has still been amazing. pWith all that said, lets GBR
I think that sweep and the whole homestand fooled everybody into thinking we were better than we were. Texas was ranked at the time, but they are a .500 team now, so that sweep isn't nearly as impressive as it looked at the time and I think how good we looked overall was more us using a long homestand to get hot. We really haven't been the same since the end of that homestand.

Cool - you say they have had 2 bad games. i will agree with that pitching and mostly fielding wise. But you wont win basbeall games with a putrid offense. Especialy in College. Pitching gives up about 3-4 runs a game and you lose to poor hitting. Listening to the announcers talk about how they have such great at bats as they are increasing the pitch count. But that dont score runs. In turn, doesnt win ball games. This team needs to hit the cages hard core. Leaving numerous runners on base every game is having a bad game. 5 hits and 5 walks and we cant score 5 runs?

ADVERTISEMENT