ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect Game's Top 25 Recruiting Rankings

Thanks for the link ... Interesting information. OK so I am just gonna' say it; I love me some DE but are we going in the right direction? I love the passion and know in my heart he wants nothing but the best for our program and is totally invested. But he brings in Mike Kirby and I got to say he underwhelmed his first year here. To the point where I read somewhere recently that DE is going to be taking over some of the offense from Kirby. Not really sure what that means but if Kirby was brought in to fill Bolts shoes and we go backwards in several/most offensive categories (and that's with a ball that now carries further) then I am questioning the hire. And now DE decides to takeover the offense? What will Kirby do ... coach third and teach base running (his job last year and we were very weak at times there). And now I see we are 8th in the B1G in recruiting this year ... really? Not saying we are crashing or anything like an Anderson dumpster fire, but are we heading in the right direction?

I honestly think all of your concerns and questions are justified. It's also tough to give a clear cut answer to any of them.

The way I look at it is this is a crucial year for the coaching staff as a whole. I love DE and his love for Husker Baseball and really hope he turns it around. It would be very beneficial for a school like Nebraska to have a legacy on the field stretch that legacy to the coaching role for obvious reasons.

At the same time, the on the field results are what will decide everything and unfortunately we have to wait until next February to see what improvements have been made, I think we can all agree this year was a disappointment to DE and the fans. A strong Summer and Fall are a must for this team.

Thanks for the link ... Interesting information. OK so I am just gonna' say it; I love me some DE but are we going in the right direction? I love the passion and know in my heart he wants nothing but the best for our program and is totally invested. But he brings in Mike Kirby and I got to say he underwhelmed his first year here. To the point where I read somewhere recently that DE is going to be taking over some of the offense from Kirby. Not really sure what that means but if Kirby was brought in to fill Bolts shoes and we go backwards in several/most offensive categories (and that's with a ball that now carries further) then I am questioning the hire. And now DE decides to takeover the offense? What will Kirby do ... coach third and teach base running (his job last year and we were very weak at times there). And now I see we are 8th in the B1G in recruiting this year ... really? Not saying we are crashing or anything like an Anderson dumpster fire, but are we heading in the right direction?

I'm not really sure how accurate college baseball recruiting rankings are. But I think your other concerns are valid. Erstad really hasn't done anything thus far to show he was the right man for the job. He talks a good game...which instantly makes him better than Mike Anderson. But as far as the results on the field? Meh. He was hired for the wrong reasons IMO. I think we can be a fringe regional team most years under him...but if we are looking for more than that I'm not sure he's the man.

True about college baseball rankings. I hardly ever pay attention to them because they seem to be much less accurate as a predictor of future success than in football. I think Mike Anderson pulled in some top 25 classes and we see where that got him.
I don't know exactly all the reasons for it, but the on-the-field results for Erstad just aren't there. It really shouldn't be a big surprise when you hire somebody with no real coaching experience.There were quality coaches out there that our facilities, fan support and overall commitment to the sport could have got to come here. But TO went with the safe choice and brought his guy in. And now as the conference is getting better, we seem to be stuck in neutral. This next season will be huge for him because if we fail to make a regional again, then it is definitely time for a change(though I don't see one happening unless he chooses to step down on his own-one of the problems with hiring a beloved former player is that it is harder to fire them).

Did you ever really think 5 teams from Big 10 would get into NCAA Regionals? And...in your worst nightmare...did you think if 5 Big 10 teams get in...Nebraska wouldn't be one of them?

Not only did we not make it to the dance, we BARELY wiggled into the B1G Tournament in Minnesota. If for whatever reason we don't finish in the top 8 in the B1G this year and don't make it to TD Ameritrade for this years Tournament, there's no way DE survives that IMHO. Not saying it would be justified, but the tom tom's would be beating loudly for a change if that ever happened.

Reactions: sklarbodds
I think the B1G is going to be pretty legit again this year. Might be better top to bottom from last year as I think some of the bottom teams maybe minus Northwestern will be vastly improved.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
With Spencer Allen now running the show at Northwestern and some new facilities it wouldn't surprise me to see a good improvement there.

Not only did we not make it to the dance, we BARELY wiggled into the B1G Tournament in Minnesota. If for whatever reason we don't finish in the top 8 in the B1G this year and don't make it to TD Ameritrade for this years Tournament, there's no way DE survives that IMHO. Not saying it would be justified, but the tom tom's would be beating loudly for a change if that ever happened.

Erstad would really have to tank for us to not make the Big Ten tournament. I'm curious to see if anything changes at the plate with him taking more control. But I guess thus far he has not proven much so anything is possible.

Last edited:
Is the big ten for sure in Omaha again this year? If so I hope someone will post advance ticket sale info again like last time

Is the big ten for sure in Omaha again this year? If so I hope someone will post advance ticket sale info again like last time
It is, indeed.

I didn't post the info last time, but will be very grateful if it was done again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT