ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick O'Brien interview

So if no one beats out TA / or gets to an alternate level in 2017; Come Spring ball, its any qb's ball -including two outstanding and probably redshirted freshmen. Both are top talents. .... From reading this summer, it seems Darlingtons big jump came late in the Spring and from his performance in the Spring game.
Before that he was behind Bush and others? / in reps; I was very impressed with his field presence in the game. And progressions and developing as a field general. Coaches seem to be more open to checking him out in fall camp. Bush had a couple bad breaks, but coaches have a lot of confidence in him.
Would love to hear the comments on qb play from summer workouts. My guess is its Darlington getting some time; because he will probably have an edge in progressions and field management over Bush ( Who could progress rapidly with playing time ). These coaches will give a freshman a shot.

I also watched his Elite 11 Semifinal video. They show him doing a lot of some spin move to escape rushers, but still hit the wide out. I'm not sure if it was by design or not. I always want my QB to save that move for when he really needs it. I don't view a QB being very effective if he has to make a spin move to be an effective passer. I'd rather see him step up into the pocket and trust his blockers. Of course, that will depend on his blockers.

Thanks for the link SA!

Last edited:
One learns quickly how athletic a qb is when trying to sack them; its tough with the dancing- you really have to square up your tackling technique. As stated above; dancing can bring your game down ( starts poor fundamentals imo )... I feel we have great qb coaching now. The WH article on how they may have qb's warm up and practice route routines with receivers, a good example. Should improve all the qb's vision of the field and planning of progression route running. I will say a planned spin move sounds good, when its used for when cornered; which I suspect is the purpose.

It may have been just the same scenario. I'm not sure. I'd rather my qb save that spin move for the right moment to make a good play. I'd rather him learn how to make the rushers miss by tucking right or left and moving into the pocket. I would love to see that at NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT