ADVERTISEMENT

OU to the SEC

I don't think it's even debatable about who the best conference is personally, and who has been the best, because there is just way to much data out there to prove it, but if people still want to believe otherwise that's cool. Seems silly to me, but I am smart enough to know my opinion isn't anymore valuable than anyone else's.
Just because you keep saying something doesn't make it true. You say there is way too much data out there, but you don't give any when people have given reasons why they aren't the best anymore. You can say they were the best a few years ago, but they have been demoted.

Hence the "Several traditional powers were down" disclaimer. If Nebraska was in the SEC, I think all the people arguing they still aren't the best conference would be singing a different tune. For arguments sake, let's say the Pac 12 was better last year (and I disagree but let's say you're right), what about the previous 7 or 8 years? People act like because the SEC didn't have their best year last year, all the sudden the prior decade didn't happen.
Look here is my thought process on all this-ness the SEC is extremely overrated yes they had a good run in the BCS era, but again in the BCS era an era dictated by a computer system geared towards rankings. Now let me ask you a question, in that BCS format how hard was it for a team (say auburn) that is over rated to fall when they lose to another over rated team (say ol miss) when two over ranked teams play each other which happened all the time in the SEC thanks to the SEC bias by the voters the losing team will not fall as far as they should have, had the lost to a team such as let's say Kansas or even missou when thy were in the big 12, now again take let's say a missou or ol miss who may not be ranked as good as they should and they come in and beat on over ranked auburn, now they sky rocket up the polls and auburn still won't fall far because ol miss is in the SEC and they are obviously that much more superior then any other team... See what the SEC does better then any other conference is basically hype their whole conference from top to bottom to make them seem like gods, but in reality I would pit the pack 12 or BIG vs the SEC for best conference top to bottom. Again I won't take anything from the SEC but it was easy to get a team into the championship game when your whole conference was over ranked to begin with because if you lost to one of those over ranked teams your fall down the polls was not nearly as far as what it should have been and thus not as hard to climb back into position to sneak into the championship game

Last edited:
16 team league, 4 team pods.

West:
NU
OU
Kansas
Io_a

North
Minnesota
Wisky
Northwestern
Michigan St

Central
OSU
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana

East
Rutgers
Penn St.
Maryland
Purdue

Seems easy enough to me. 8 or 9 game league schedule, followed by a semi-final weekend and then B1G title weekend. It would be the most forward thinking thing Delaney has ever done.

No, bringing Nebraska into the Big10 was.

I am in St. Louis watching my beloved Cardinals for the weekend. Started talking to the guy next to me today, who went to Mizzou in the 70's. He hates the SEC and misses the 'rivalry' between NU and Mizzou. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't a rivalry to us. Anyway, he said there is all kinds of buzz around St. Louis that we are considering going back to the Big 12. I told him that was only wishful thinking on a few schools part and we would never consider it, at least not in the present situation. He was kind of bummed but I told him academically and financially it would be foolish for us to move. But anyway, those rumors are apparently out there.

I am in St. Louis watching my beloved Cardinals for the weekend. Started talking to the guy next to me today, who went to Mizzou in the 70's. He hates the SEC and misses the 'rivalry' between NU and Mizzou. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't a rivalry to us. Anyway, he said there is all kinds of buzz around St. Louis that we are considering going back to the Big 12. I told him that was only wishful thinking on a few schools part and we would never consider it, at least not in the present situation. He was kind of bummed but I told him academically and financially it would be foolish for us to move. But anyway, those rumors are apparently out there.

Many OU fans claim that there was no rivalry w/ NU. I think they do it because it bugs us. We always needed a strong OU as a victory over them would catapult us to higher rankings. I can't believe that the B12 and OU cheated us out of that rivalry game. It was always the best, even when we lost. Ohio State has Michigan. What do we have? Io_a? Wisconsin due to three woodsheds? Forget Wisky. I want to beat Ohio State and Michigan on a regular basis. I hope Riley steps it up. His recruiting efforts are phenomenal. The commitments look good and promising. It's great not to worrying that NU will wait to the end to finish out the class and then just take the others scraps. I'm looking forward to seeing Riley as he picks his starters. It will show a lot about him.

Reactions: sparky62
Texas to the PAC 12, Oklahoma to the SEC, ^^ agree, I would be fine with the University of Kansas to the B1G -- solid AAU school plus superb basketball. Being a B1G member would assist Kansas in football recruiting to some degree. St. Anger, maybe you get your wish !

and, Go Cats !!
Kansas has the acad but sports income, not so much. The Big 10 says they make more money from the CIC w sports (football) a close second. Kansas = another Indiana and the paydays don't equal the membership.

The last conference shuffle where OU, Texas and a few others flirted with the PAC-12 revealed that it is about football and nothing else. Kansas was left out in the cold along with KSU and Iowa State.

Reactions: St. Anger
Kansas has the acad but sports income, not so much. The Big 10 says they make more money from the CIC w sports (football) a close second. Kansas = another Indiana and the paydays don't equal the membership.

A little dated, but Frank the Tank disagrees. KU was on par with Notre Dame. Not texas money but still pretty significant. People always undersell KU's basketball income. They kill it with their third tier. A lot like Nebraska football, they have quite a national audience. link

The B1G is about more than just football. The revenue from football does not even come close to the revenue from indirect costs associated with major federal grants/research/personnel prep etc. With regard ^^ to Kansas being = with Indiana, well that is just fine with many of us who grew up in B1G country. Me, I'd be pleased to see the B1G expand finishing it off with Missouri (they'd still accept in a heart beat) and Kansas. Both fit the B1G culture -- round table mentality. Texas and Notre Dame can take a hike.

and, Go Cats !!

OU football isn't going to get left behind. Delusional. OU is a top 10 football program in all of America, they will find a very soft place to land if the Big 12 ever splits up, which I don't think is going to happen.

Talent wise Oklahoma comes in at #14 (Lindy's page 47 - B1G Ten preview)

Texas is at #10 based on 2011-15 talent ratings. Nebraska was #23.

Talent wise Oklahoma comes in at #14 (Lindy's page 47 - B1G Ten preview)

Texas is at #10 based on 2011-15 talent ratings. Nebraska was #23.
That's funny that you would quote talent ratings, as most on this board seem to know more than Lindy's... ;)

The B1G is about more than just football. The revenue from football does not even come close to the revenue from indirect costs associated with major federal grants/research/personnel prep etc. With regard ^^ to Kansas being = with Indiana, well that is just fine with many of us who grew up in B1G country. Me, I'd be pleased to see the B1G expand finishing it off with Missouri (they'd still accept in a heart beat) and Kansas. Both fit the B1G culture -- round table mentality. Texas and Notre Dame can take a hike.

and, Go Cats !!
You agreed w me, football is 2nd source of income, CIC (research, etc.) is #1,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT