ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When is Nebraska going start hockey?

FlintTown

Athletic Director
Dec 4, 2004
I'm thinking Cornhusker hockey is inevitable. Word on the street is that Nebraskans already pack 3000 in to watch some minor league outfit of 16-18 year old kids who are just trying to get a college scholarship. Sounds like there is some serious potential for a Big Ten team to earn the hearts and minds of the Cornhusker state.

I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: anon_41ic26spm9w6q
We have our team in Omaha that will bring in 7-8k depending on the size of the new arena....thats good enough

We have our team in Omaha that will bring in 7-8k depending on the size of the new arena....thats good enough

It's not good enough for me. UNO is great, but I want hockey in Lincoln. Put some real resources behind it. I would give a donation for something like that.

Not going to happen. Title IX and the agreement with UNO won't allow it.

I'm not sure UNO would oppose it. A rivalry would be created that would only help drum up more local interest in the sport. It wouldn't hurt recruiting since the majority of players (I'm guessing) are pulled from Canada.

And it looks like the Big Ten's new TV deal could potentially lead to another $20mil/year in revenue. There will definitely be the resources to maneuver any Title IX compliance obstacles.

It's going to happen, IMO. Just a matter of when.

I hear what you are sauing. But when the football team was gutted, the university sytem told UNO that UNL would not encroach on their hockey turf. Heard it straight from the former UNO SID's mouth.

I'm thinking Cornhusker hockey is inevitable. Word on the street is that Nebraskans already pack 3000 in to watch some minor league outfit of 16-18 year old kids who are just trying to get a college scholarship. Sounds like there is some serious potential for a Big Ten team to earn the hearts and minds of the Cornhusker state.

I'm looking forward to it.
It's not the worst idea. It's not like players are from around here anyway. I think it would all come down to support. We would not want to canabalize UNO.

I'm not sure UNO would oppose it. A rivalry would be created that would only help drum up more local interest in the sport. It wouldn't hurt recruiting since the majority of players (I'm guessing) are pulled from Canada.

And it looks like the Big Ten's new TV deal could potentially lead to another $20mil/year in revenue. There will definitely be the resources to maneuver any Title IX compliance obstacles.

It's going to happen, IMO. Just a matter of when.

Doubt it would be much of a rivalry for the foreseeable future. With the talent, staff and now facilities UNO has and coming off a Frozen Four, Lincoln would be crazy to invest anything right now.

A University of Nebraska Hockey Program would only make Omaha stronger. With the BTN's increasing interest and envolvement with B1G hockey it is only a matter of time before Nebraska fields a team.

Reactions: FlintTown
The "minor" league that your are talking about is the United States Hockey League which is the best Tier 1 Junior league in the country. Hands down. Majority of college players do not come from Canada. Some do.

The BTN is pushing for more teams. Illinois is probably the next one to go d1. They do need a rink how ever. Iowa is in talks of building a new faculty

I would think you are going to see more teams adding Lacrosse before hockey. It is the fastest growing sport in the US and is much cheaper then hockey

Not going to happen and I know this because I point blank asked SE if it was possible. I'm sure title 9 has the biggest factor of why we won't. Too bad because I think it could generate revenue

A compromise would be to allow UNO to play Big Ten hockey as an affiliate member, as it does for Johns Hopkins in lacrosse. I get that there's a big difference between those two scenarios, but I really don't see much downside. The Big Ten would add a program coming off a breakthrough season and expand its hockey footprint into Nebraska, and I doubt that anyone would suddenly get confused about whether UNO is a Big Ten university. And yes I'm sure UNO is far easier to get into academically, etc., etc., but it's hardly a hockey factory that would hold some big advantage over the full conference members.

Maybe UNO has no desire to play in the Big Ten, but it seems worth exploring. My understanding is that the Big Ten won't entertain the idea, but I don't know that for a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT