ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Martian (book readers, not UFO guys)

huskerbux

Recruiting Coordinator
Aug 24, 2006
Omaha
Got this ( written by Andy Weir) for Father's day and I gotta say I'm loving it so far. Plot is an astronaut is left behind after a massive sand storm causes the rest of the crew to abandon the mission - they assume he's dead. He isn't (not giving anything away as that is established on page 1.) So now he must figure out how to survive. Pretty technical in the begining but well written for this novice science guy to follow along. Not sure how all that will transfer to the screen but am looking forward to finishing this week and then seeing the film.

Obligatory xkcd link---

the_martian.png

Really, really enjoyed that book. So did my wife, and my son.

Reactions: huskerbux
Sampled it on my kindle a few months back and finally bought the book a couple weeks ago.

Lots of techie stuff for the 'hard sci-fi' purist and his time on Mars comes with sufficient detail from his poop gardens to broken gadgets to NASA bureaucracy to extreme weather to make the thing interesting.

Plus the guy has a pretty good sense of humor.

Pretty good nightstand read.

Go Blue!

My wife read it and enjoyed it. Most of my job consists of reading, so I typically don't read for pleasure. Hopefully I'll get around to reading it someday.

Sampled it on my kindle a few months back and finally bought the book a couple weeks ago.

Lots of techie stuff for the 'hard sci-fi' purist and his time on Mars comes with sufficient detail from his poop gardens to broken gadgets to NASA bureaucracy to extreme weather to make the thing interesting.

Plus the guy has a pretty good sense of humor.

Pretty good nightstand read.

Go Blue!

Found myself laughing quite a bit during this book. Definite recommend.

ADVERTISEMENT