ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jurassic World

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Watched it last night and I must say, it is beyond awful. Anyone else see it?

Looks like sh!t. Might watch it when it gets to redbox. If not wait for TV.

First one was okish because holy hell it looks like real dinosaurs. Two and three? Crap.
A fourth one where all the dinos get loose again and try to eat everyone AGAIN? My four year old son would probably say its a good movie.

First one was okish because holy hell it looks like real dinosaurs. Two and three? Crap.
A fourth one where all the dinos get loose again and try to eat everyone AGAIN? My four year old son would probably say its a good movie.
The plot is annoyingly similar. And there were actual scenes that looked like a "reboot" from the original. I loved the original. Subtle humor, character development - none of which is in this movie. And to top it all off, they added the most awkward/hilarious romantic element I've seen in a while. Funny in a bad way.

Reactions: AndyHanline

And that's your opinion but movies today suck compare to back in the 90's all the good actors are in their final leg.

CGI ruined action movies. Before they had at least some limitations to what could happen, but now they just do whatever for the sake of going bigger than the last movie. It's just stupid. There have to be 20 situations per minute where any halfway normal human would die in every one of them, but somehow the main character lives.

Original Jurassic Park was amazing. The scene of the T-Rex attacking the car, and then the shot in the kitchen where you think the raptor is about to eat Timmy, but then it turns out it was his reflection. Genius shot.

CGI ruined action movies. Before they had at least some limitations to what could happen, but now they just do whatever for the sake of going bigger than the last movie. It's just stupid. There have to be 20 situations per minute where any halfway normal human would die in every one of them, but somehow the main character lives.

Original Jurassic Park was amazing. The scene of the T-Rex attacking the car, and then the shot in the kitchen where you think the raptor is about to eat Timmy, but then it turns out it was his reflection. Genius shot.
Yub.

I loved it...but I love almost anything "Jurassic Park."
I also think there were a number of previews for upcoming movies that looked great...

What did you think you were going to see? I havent seen the movie, but I cant imagine expectations should be any greater than a fun, cgi filled popcorn flick. Hell, its 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, and thats pretty impressive for a blockbuster. I will likely go this coming weekend and anticipate being entertained.

I did watch Love & Mercy though, and it was fantastic.

The movie has a huge draw, which I don't understand after the 1st 3. Plot: People mess with dinosaurs, dinosaurs get loose, complete disaster is barely averted. It's like a less cool Transformers movie with not as hot chicks.

What did you think you were going to see? I havent seen the movie, but I cant imagine expectations should be any greater than a fun, cgi filled popcorn flick. Hell, its 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, and thats pretty impressive for a blockbuster. I will likely go this coming weekend and anticipate being entertained.

I did watch Love & Mercy though, and it was fantastic.
Jurassic World made The Lost World look like Jurassic Park.

It was good. Obviously seeing it in IMAX enhanced the experience. Much better than the second and third ones IMO. Highlight of the movie was watching Bryce Dallas Howard running around all sweaty. She's is beyond sexy

The movie has a huge draw, which I don't understand after the 1st 3. Plot: People mess with dinosaurs, dinosaurs get loose, complete disaster is barely averted. It's like a less cool Transformers movie with not as hot chicks.

gellernice2.gif

Average. It had about 3 good scenes that they wrapped around a bad movie.

I'm sure it is what all think it is. I might watch bits and pieces of it 5 years from now on some lazy Saturday flicking through channels.

Alternative: check out "McFarland." We watched it Sunday night and enjoyed it a lot. The film clips of the Coach and 1987 team at the end of the movie, just before the credits, were worth waiting for.

Reactions: huskerbux
I was pretty happy with it, but my expectations were in line with it being a sequel to a movie that came out in another era. The big issue is that we've already seen it all so there just isn't that moment of frightening suspense when a T-Rex is approaching from out of the darkness and all you see if the ripples in the water to know it's coming. These types of movies only really work once and then fall into the familiar line of 'bigger, more teeth'. The movie's theme park was echoing the reality of the Jurassic movies, and others like it (Jaws, etc).

I did like the return of Dr. Wu and his comments on the dinosaurs never really being true dinosaurs.

I loved Jurassic Park, didn't care for the sequels... For whatever reason, maybe its the passage of time, I am excited about this one. These reviews are causing me to temper my excitement, but if I can find someone to go with me (not sure the wife wants to see it), I will likely go.

I loved Jurassic Park, didn't care for the sequels... For whatever reason, maybe its the passage of time, I am excited about this one. These reviews are causing me to temper my excitement, but if I can find someone to go with me (not sure the wife wants to see it), I will likely go.
I loved the original. Save your money.

Alternative: check out "McFarland." We watched it Sunday night and enjoyed it a lot. The film clips of the Coach and 1987 team at the end of the movie, just before the credits, were worth waiting for.
Agreed! Great movie. I ran CC back in the 80s and my kids ran through HS as well so I had great memories watching that one. And yes, the end credits to see what they all are doing now was a great touch.

I loved the original. Save your money.

Saw Transformers Age of Extinction, or whatever it was, a few nights ago on netflix. Was quite glad I didn't spend my money in the theater after watching that. I guess I could be swayed not to go to the theater...

I thought it was entertaining. I'm not sure what some people expected. It was another fun film that could never live up to the original given the advances the original made in it's time.

I thought it was entertaining. I'm not sure what some people expected. It was another fun film that could never live up to the original given the advances the original made in it's time.
Some humor, an unrecycled plot, uncheesy dialogue, no awkward kissing scenes, and even sub-par acting. Just a few things I expected.

Some humor, an unrecycled plot, uncheesy dialogue, no awkward kissing scenes, and even sub-par acting. Just a few things I expected.

I disagree with plenty of this; however, I'm curious exactly what kind of plot you expected?

I disagree with plenty of this; however, I'm curious exactly what kind of plot you expected?
I understand it had to be something with the dinosaurs wreaking havoc, but this was so similar. 2 kids sent to the park, get lost in the park, relative (Gramps in the original, Aunt in this one) tried to find them, dinosaurs battling each other in the last part.

Lol, I know I sound bitter. I just really hated it. :)

I understand it had to be something with the dinosaurs wreaking havoc, but this was so similar. 2 kids sent to the park, get lost in the park, relative (Gramps in the original, Aunt in this one) tried to find them, dinosaurs battling each other in the last part.

Lol, I know I sound bitter. I just really hated it. :)

I guess that is just what I expected.

I fancy myself to be a movie snob. Highbrow, opinionated, viewer of quality film.
Loved Jurassic World. Thoroughly entertained. Go figure.

I think you may have nailed it. I've mentioned in the past that I have gotten soooo tired of "Whoosh-Bang-Boom" movies, and the reason is because everything has become the same script. Everything gets blown to hell and back and the only thing that happens to the hero is he has to straighten his tie. I know movies are supposed to be 2 hours of fantasy, but if I want that much fantasy, I'll plunk down the monthly membership to Threeseomes are Us or Juggs Unlimited.

Another point of contention with these Jurassic Park flicks is...how many times do you have to threaten the existence of humanity before you start doing more intensive background checks?? You've got two types of antagonists in these flicks...the dopey guy that, despite his extensive background in genetics, always manages to forget that using the wrong DNA to complete the sequence 'might' just create an entire army of blood-thirsty animals that possess every possible predatory advantage over human beings. The other guy is the guy that is always playing an angle...where he thinks he can steal all of this genetic technology to open up his own dinosaur joint.

How about asking for the guy's sheepskin? If the geneticist has anything other than MIT or Harvard on it, let's let sleeping dinos lie. And if those in charge of keeping the park running smoothly have any villian roles on IMBD, wait for Sandra Bullock's schedule to open up.

I fancy myself to be a movie snob. Highbrow, opinionated, viewer of quality film.
Loved Jurassic World. Thoroughly entertained. Go figure.

I didn't mind it. Still like the first one the best. Goldblum stole the show.

I was actually rather surprised how real this one looked. Yes, as compared to all the REAL dinosaurs I've seen slumming it. Work must be tough to get as a reptile.

They are certainly refining the craft of special effects, but I wonder if they feel stupid turning one of the most vicious dinos in the first 3 flicks, the raptors, into blood hounds. C'mon Spielberg..

I thought it was really good. I don't know how someone could go in thinking it would be some wonderful new plot. There were many things not seen in the other Jurrasic movies. I thought it was the 2nd best obviously, but still thought it was very entertaining. Grab some popcorn and relax.

I hope you like the new Avengers better than I did. I love all the Marvel movies, but that Age of Ultron, was not all that.
Save your money and rent the Avengers when it comes out later. The wife & went to see it a couple weeks ago. The first 45 minutes are a total mess. Very hard to follow.

I saw Jurassic World last night with the Fiancée. About what I expected, I was entertained, even if I did laugh out loud at some of the more ludicrous aspects of the plot. If I was going to see it at all (which I was,) I wanted to see it on the big screen, making the money spent negligible. I would give it about a 60/100 for overall satisfaction. The sad fact is Hollywood has given up. They've all gotten lazy, and instead of working hard to put out NEW and quality films, it's just easier for them to trade on some old nostalgia and line up the "Sheeple" and their money at the turnstiles, and churn out those pathetic recasts from our childhood.

BAAAAHHHHH!

Also, saw a preview for the dramatization of 'Man on Wire' about the Twin Towers tightrope walk from the 70's. Are you KIDDING me? Just watch the documentary! It was great, and guess what, REAL. Good grief.

The Matt Damon 'Martian' movie looks awesome, however. Will definitely be seeing that one, in the theatre.

Reactions: 4norsemen
Save your money and rent the Avengers when it comes out later. The wife & went to see it a couple weeks ago. The first 45 minutes are a total mess. Very hard to follow.

You and I just can't agree at all today. I really liked the new Avengers. You have to embrace a bit of the ridiculous because it's a superhero movie, but I always like the Marvel movies.

Reactions: sparky62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT