ADVERTISEMENT

ot: fishfinders

balsy

Senior
Dec 15, 2005
kearney
1. Lowrance or hummingbird? I have the I-pilot but im not really that concerned about linking to the fishfinder.

2. Is the side imaging worth the expense? I had a hard time understing what i was looking at the one boat I was on with it.

3. would like to keep it under a 1000 bucks. Thanks for any opinions shared

Good luck doing side imaging under a 1000. After brackets and everything else that is acting alot. Prices can get ridiculous.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

There are some good deals going on now for gen 2 lowrance hds units as they are clearing them out for gen 3 and touch models. Side imaging is a fantastic tool when searching for structure/schools of fish.

Obviously larger screens make it much easier to view more of what is on the down/side scans and if you multiscreen 2d, 3d, and gps.

I have the opportunity to fish with a BASS classic winner from time to time. On occasion he will use his lateral imaging but not often. He does not recommend it unless a serious tournament fisherman. Instead spend more on the quality vertical imaging. He's sponsored by Lowrance.

This post was edited on 4/18 9:03 PM by morninghusker

This post was edited on 4/18 9:04 PM by morninghusker

Side imaging is sweet, but I'm not sure it puts anymore fish in the boat. If I was able to get out more, I'd definitely look into it, but when I'm only on the water 10-12 days a year on lakes I know like the back of my hand, it's hard for me to justify the cost.

I assume this is for lake fishing. I do ocean fishing and use all Raymarine electronics. Would swear by them. They are bulletproof, with some of the best technology available. After all, they are a division of Raytheon, the defense contractor. If they can build surface to air missile's, I figure they can make a killer fishfinder.
wink.r191677.gif

Raymarine electronics

Originally posted by whiteshoes97:
Side imaging is sweet, but I'm not sure it puts anymore fish in the boat. If I was able to get out more, I'd definitely look into it, but when I'm only on the water 10-12 days a year on lakes I know like the back of my hand, it's hard for me to justify the cost.
I cant really justify spending thousands of dollars either. I went cheap. After playing with them I ended up picking up a 7inch chirp. I liked the downscan imaging better than than the hds models. The hummingbirds had too many buttons for me. Who knows, I'll probably hate the damn thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT