ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State under Riley: Rivals Rankings and the NFL Draft

inspiderman

May 23, 2015
Started when Rivals had semi-reliable data on guys Riley recruited in his second tenure at OSU. 26 total draftees broken down to: 5 4 stars, 9 3 stars, 10 2 star or NR, and 2 unknown. I don't know what this tells us or if it is informative about our newest commit. Just figured it might be interesting or not.

I had a brief thought about Jacquizz playing lower class Texas ball and that being somehow comparable to Aphonso Thomas. But, Jacquizz was a 3 year starter complete animal in Texas ball, while Thomas has waited to be the man until he is a senior.

2006:
Keith Ellison : 4 star JUCO LB
Mike Hass: ??? WR

2007:
Adam Koets: 2 star offensive guard
Sabby Piscitelli: ???? S

2008:
Joey LaRocque: 4 star JUCO LB
Roy Schuenning: 3 star OG

2009:
Sammie Stroughter: 5.5 3 star WR
Al Afalava: 5.3 2 star
Brandon Hughes: 5.3 no star (presumably 2) WR
Slade Norris: 5.3 2 star WR
Victor Butler: no stars DE
Keenan Lewis: 5.2 2 star WR
Andy Levitre: 5.2 2 star OG

2010:
Sean Canfield: 5.6 3 star QB

2011:
Jacquizz Rodgers: 5.6 3 star RB (school now plays 4A Texas ball, ran for ~8k, 121 TDs in HS)
Gabe Miller: 5.8 4 star LB
Stephen Paea: 5.6 3star DT

2012:
Brandon Hardin: 5.4 2 star CB

2013:
Jordan Poyer: 5.2 2 star CB

2014:
Scott Crichton: 5.6 3 star DE
Brandin Cooks: 5.8 4 star WR

2015:
Sean Mannion: 5.8 4 star QB (late riser, no camps, big jump after sr film)
Steven Nelson: 5.7 3 star JUCO DB
DJ Alexander: 5.7 3 star LB
Obum Gwacham: 5.2 2 star WR (drafted as DE)
Ryan Murphy: 5.5 3 star DB

I like to see guys go to the NFL. I like to see players that give a lot to the community (Berringer, Burkhead, etc).

BUT, I love college football and winning games at NU is the only stat I care about. Everything else is window dressing.

So, Riley and staff can develop talent. A couple a year out of 20 or so guys recruited (2009 looks like it was a very good class). Would be an interesting stat to see the percentage of Riley and staff 2-star/no-star players that were recruited who made it to the pro's. For arguments sake let's say it's 1 out of 10. Should I get excited every time we recruit a 2-star player because history shows 1 out of 10 will make it to the pro's? What about the other 9?

Now, I'm perfectly happy to wait until next year to see how this year's recruiting class shapes up. But, if we recruit to the same level of OSU, we should expect the same results.

I would guess Riley significantly outperformed the rate at which 2 stars typically get drafted (estimated by some between .2 and 1%). Even if he is going 1 out of 10, his rate way above the average. Hell, if he is at 1 out of 20 he is way out developing the stats. Either way, I'd bet Riley doesn't sign many two stars at Nebraska.

I don't know any rational person who thinks Riley and his staff are recruiting to sign the same level of talent they did at Oregon State.

Mike Haas in 2006 was a walkon and won the Belitnikoff (sp) award his senior year and did Cooks a couple years ago, Mannion is the all time leader in passing yard in the PAC 12.

Mike Haas in 2006 was a walkon and won the Belitnikoff (sp) award his senior year and did Cooks a couple years ago, Mannion is the all time leader in passing yard in the PAC 12.

That would explain why finding Hass was really difficult.

For some reason every time I read about Riley and unheralded players I hear Johny Cash - A Boy Named Sue. Some of them will get tough and survive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT