ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Banker just made me a huge fan of his. This staff

Huskers_Rule

All-American
Jul 11, 2001
is so refreshing but as old Sam M. from the OWH (too high on his own opinion) stated this is the peak of the honeymoon period. But man you get a genuine sense that these coaches see this as one great opportunity to "make their mark" at a very personal level first. It feels like they have been on a poor NASCAR Team (rarely watch so not a big fan) that really had no chance at winning the title to one of the rich teams that has 3 cars that can win. They're rubbing their hands at the chance to really run with the big boys.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_e68803ea-1a1f-11e5-8389-b7add3612af5.html

I really hope we give this staff the requisite time to get things turned around and don't bail on them if things get a bit rocky in years one and two.

Also has Riley's wife moved to Lincoln yet ? Major distraction if she isn't happy with the coaching move

I really hope we give this staff the requisite time to get things turned around and don't bail on them if things get a bit rocky in years one and two.

Also has Riley's wife moved to Lincoln yet ? Major distraction if she isn't happy with the coaching move

She encouraged Riley to take the job, so that's not a concern. She may not be eager to uproot and move from Oregon (I'm not sure whether she has moved), but Riley was seriously contemplating turning down the offer when she helped him realize it was probably his last chance to do something great and ambitious.

Riley said in the paper that his wife has some medical condition where she can't live in a house with a certain kind of paint. One of the ingredients messes with her.

I'm not worried about her support in the least, she wants him to be here. They just need to find the right place to move and/or build.

appreciate the responses. Despite what has been said publicly I sense discontent.

appreciate the responses. Despite what has been said publicly I sense discontent.

How could you possibly sense discontent about the guy's marriage? Some Husker fans never cease to amaze me.

718785668_e135dce236_b.jpg

No marital discontent. Cold feet regarding uprooting to Lincoln and thus taking the NU job from a family standpoint

No marital discontent. Cold feet regarding uprooting to Lincoln and thus taking the NU job from a family standpoint

I think his daughter is a 28 year old stay at home mom. I don't even remember if she lived in Corvallis.

I disagree with this 100%. I really want Riley and Co to achieve greatness here but there is no reason why he should not do well year 1 & year 2. We have talent. I don't remember watching any game last year where I felt we were overmatched due to a lack of talent.

As far as it being his first year with a new program, I call BS on that. Did you happen to watch the NBA this year and see what Steve Kerr did all season as a first year coach?

If not, look at the MLB. If the season ended today, the Astro's, Twins, & Rays would all be in the AL playoffs and all have first year managers. "Give him time" is a excuse for why a coach couldn't get it done. If MR is going to win here there is no reason he can not do it in 2015. Some times a new coach is all a team needed. It's like a breath of fresh air. No more excuses.

I disagree with this 100%. I really want Riley and Co to achieve greatness here but there is no reason why he should not do well year 1 & year 2. We have talent. I don't remember watching any game last year where I felt we were overmatched due to a lack of talent.

As far as it being his first year with a new program, I call BS on that. Did you happen to watch the NBA this year and see what Steve Kerr did all season as a first year coach?

If not, look at the MLB. If the season ended today, the Astro's, Twins, & Rays would all be in the AL playoffs and all have first year managers. "Give him time" is a excuse for why a coach couldn't get it done. If MR is going to win here there is no reason he can not do it in 2015. Some times a new coach is all a team needed. It's like a breath of fresh air. No more excuses.
I disagree with this 100%. Every example you site refers to professional teams. They are professionals who's job it is to work on their craft. They spend hours a day doing this. Our players do not have that time.

Not only that, if Armstrong proves incapable of figuring out the new system, we are at a distinct disadvantage from the start.

Also, apart from Turner Gill at Kansas, every coach that has ever coached has been given the benefit of the doubt (barring impropriety of some kind).

For every example you cite I could cite twice as many who needed the time. Bob Stoops first year at OU? 7-5. Year two? MNC. Brian Kelly at ND... 8-5 his first two years... MNC game his third year.

I think MR will do well this year, but to automatically proclaim here is no margin for error straight out the gates is ludicrous and unfair. Sure glad I don't work for you... The bar would be set impossibly high I suspect...

I'm curious - what is your standard for Riley "doing well"? Is the standard data based, like 10 wins? Is it recruiting based, like a top 10 class? Is the standard winning the B1G? The West Division? I feel like our program is in good hands now (amateur hour has ended, as St. Anger would say), but I suppose my expectations are tempered. IMHO there's a very real chance we'll have an average year with a few disappointing losses. I don't expect that to be the case going forward, to be sure, but I'm not ready to proclaim the coaching change a failure if we lose to BYU.

I'm curious - what is your standard for Riley "doing well"? Is the standard data based, like 10 wins? Is it recruiting based, like a top 10 class? Is the standard winning the B1G? The West Division? I feel like our program is in good hands now (amateur hour has ended, as St. Anger would say), but I suppose my expectations are tempered. IMHO there's a very real chance we'll have an average year with a few disappointing losses. I don't expect that to be the case going forward, to be sure, but I'm not ready to proclaim the coaching change a failure if we lose to BYU.

The definition of "do well" is key. I think he'll do well, recruit well as we're seeing (probably better than we expected), win quite a few games, probably even win the division.

However, I think it'd be a lottery type of day, if we win any hardware over OSU. Definitely not counting on it. If QB play is what's going to eventually get us over Meyer, it could be a bit.

I disagree with this 100%. Every example you site refers to professional teams. They are professionals who's job it is to work on their craft. They spend hours a day doing this. Our players do not have that time.

Not only that, if Armstrong proves incapable of figuring out the new system, we are at a distinct disadvantage from the start.

Also, apart from Turner Gill at Kansas, every coach that has ever coached has been given the benefit of the doubt (barring impropriety of some kind).

For every example you cite I could cite twice as many who needed the time. Bob Stoops first year at OU? 7-5. Year two? MNC. Brian Kelly at ND... 8-5 his first two years... MNC game his third year.

I think MR will do well this year, but to automatically proclaim here is no margin for error straight out the gates is ludicrous and unfair. Sure glad I don't work for you... The bar would be set impossibly high I suspect...

Ok would you rather me point out that Bob Stoops won a title in his 2nd year @ OU after converting them from an full blown option team to a very pass happy offense?

Would you rather me point out Gus Malzahn taking an Auburn team to the title game in his first year @ Auburn in 2013, when the tigers were 3-9 the year before?

Or maybe Urban Myers at tOSU in 2012, in which they went unbeaten.

And those are just a few college football coaches off the top of my head that it doesn't take that much time to win. There are plenty more. And to say its easier to win in professional sports is crazy. Baseball has no true salary cap and all 3 teams I named above are small market teams. Not like they went out and signed Clayton Kershaw & Max Scherzer and that's why they are doing so well.

It's proven that losers make excuses of why they lost. The "it's a process" speech isn't working this time like it did under Bo & BC . Riley has no excuses. He's been hired to do a job this year. Not in 3 years. Now relax, I think he can do it. But if we do not go to a bowl game or if we are not in the hunt for the division, that's on him and he has no excuses. Every game on the schedule is winnable. If he loses more than 3, It's on him.

I've said my peace with Riley. I am routing for the guy. He's done a good job as of late recruiting, lets hope he can win some meaningful football games.

Ok would you rather me point out that Bob Stoops won a title in his 2nd year @ OU after converting them from an full blown option team to a very pass happy offense?

Would you rather me point out Gus Malzahn taking an Auburn team to the title game in his first year @ Auburn in 2013, when the tigers were 3-9 the year before?

And those are just a few college football coaches off the top of my head that it doesn't take that much time to win. There are plenty more. And to say its easier to win in professional sports is crazy. Baseball has no true salary cap and all 3 teams I named above are small market teams. Not like they went out and signed Clayton Kershaw & Max Scherzer and that's why they are doing so well.

It's proven that losers make excuses of why they lost. The "it's a process" speech isn't working this time like it did under Bo & BC . Riley has no excuses. He's been hired to do a job this year. Not in 3 years. Now relax, I think he can do it. But if we do not go to a bowl game or if we are not in the hunt for the division, that's on him and he has no excuses. Every game on the schedule is winnable. If he loses more than 3, It's on him.

I've said my peace with Riley. I am routing for the guy. He's done a good job as of late recruiting, lets hope he can win some meaningful football games.
Gotta say I'm glad we didn't have these message boards when TO was coaching... He followed one of the all time greats and couldn't win the big ones for 22 years... Those 3 titles never would have happened if you were in charge...

The fact is you can make a case either way. To say that if he loses more than 3 means he has failed is indicative of our instant gratification culture...

Unbelievable. I will say I think he has no more than 3 losses... But if he does, I'm not gonna wring my hands over either.

Your whole shtick has gone from 'Riley can't recruit good players' to 'he better win a bunch of games right away.' It's funny to see how that has changed since Riley has had such a great month in the recruiting game.

You have officially gone off the deep end. I agree with the point that we shouldn't count this year as a throwaway, but citing Golden State or MLB teams... There are literally no words.

That takes the cake for the dumbest thing posted on rivals. Jlb has won the award, there is no close second

i clarified --- no marital discontent -- I just wonder if she is completely on board with the new coaching gig and a move to Lincoln

Riley's wife not being on board would run counter to literally everything Riley has said about it publicly.

True. Lots more parity at the pro level. I think there was a streak of six straight years in the NFC South were the last place team won the division the very next year. Much tougher to transition with a new staff with 20 year old college kids.

I really hope we give this staff the requisite time to get things turned around and don't bail on them if things get a bit rocky in years one and two....

I think a definition of "bit rocky" would have helped in clarification. Does anyone think we'll have a losing record? If we lose 4 or 5 games, I would think that there would be low-level grumbling, but no pitchforks and torches.

...As far as it being his first year with a new program, I call BS on that....

I have to agree with spinner on this. Riley brought almost his entire staff, some of them very seasoned college coaches. They've hit the ground running. Riley has said we will play taking player skillsets into consideration. Not making some ultimatum, not a play on Eichorst's words, and not a pelini lovefest, but why would anyone think we won't win 8/9/10 games this year?

Now onto Banker, the actual focus of this thread. It sounds like the players like his schemes. I think we have more talent than OrSU. We have 3 coaches on defense that have been/are coordinators. They should play well on defense.

OK slow down there buddy. First of all both Stoops and Malzahn and Urban inherited some very very very talented teams when they got on those campuses. They inherited much more talent, fewer holes than what Riley and CO have inherited. WE are so thin at some key spots, that it could cost us some games if we get an injury bug.

Stoops went 7-5 his first year even with a ton of talent.

Mahlzahn did well his first year, but also had a ton of talent, more talent than RIles and CO have. I forget how did ol Gus do this year his 2nd year BTW? Oh yeah he went: 8-5 didnt he?

Urban, inherited an absolutely STACKED roster, and a team that had been the bullies of the B10 for quite a while. Yes he did go 12-0 his first year but his team had the luxury of playing with absolutely no pressure on them whatsoever as they couldnt go to a bowl game, nor could they play in the conference champ game. His 2nd year he lost the champ game (pressure?) And it took him until his 3rd year to win the conference title. Urban is a great great coach one of the best,but dont let that first year of 12 and o fool ya, he didnt win it the first year he could.

You are are a bad path here. One of the key sore spots that Bo left Riley and Co was with the QB position. TA is a good kid, he tries hard, but he is simply not that good of a QB and not one thats strengths will fit Rileys offense that he wants to run. Hard to win a lot of games when the player you have at the QB spot is not good enough to win it for ya huh?

It is not about excuses, you use examples here that are apples and oranges specifically from a talent perspective. Urban Inherited Braxton Miller right? Riley inherited a QB whos completion percentage is under 55% last year. Big big big difference. We have unproven running backs right now, we have a new system that the kids are going to have to learn. We have holes on D and on O. We dont know how our O line will be. Not to mention our S&C has to be redone as it was bad with Bo and co here, as well as the culture of the program which was a toxic environment.

Make no mistake Riley and CO did not walk into an Oklahoma, Ohio State, or an Auburn situation like those other examples you mentioned, not even CLOSE> They have a LOT Of work to do and a LOT of things they have to FIX that the previous staff let go to pot.

So please dont come on here and put your foot down based on false pretenses or apples to oranges comparisons and not give these guys a break, Bo and Co did a TON of damage to this program and it is not a 1 year fix that is for sure.
Can these guys get us to the CHamp game in year 1? Sure, but I am not going to jump down their throats if they dont because they have more than a 1 year fix from what the last staff left them, and holes on the team that need to be filled and at some very key positions.

OK slow down there buddy. First of all both Stoops and Malzahn and Urban inherited some very very very talented teams when they got on those campuses. They inherited much more talent, fewer holes than what Riley and CO have inherited. WE are so thin at some key spots, that it could cost us some games if we get an injury bug.

Stoops went 7-5 his first year even with a ton of talent.

Mahlzahn did well his first year, but also had a ton of talent, more talent than RIles and CO have. I forget how did ol Gus do this year his 2nd year BTW? Oh yeah he went: 8-5 didnt he?

Urban, inherited an absolutely STACKED roster, and a team that had been the bullies of the B10 for quite a while. Yes he did go 12-0 his first year but his team had the luxury of playing with absolutely no pressure on them whatsoever as they couldnt go to a bowl game, nor could they play in the conference champ game. His 2nd year he lost the champ game (pressure?) And it took him until his 3rd year to win the conference title. Urban is a great great coach one of the best,but dont let that first year of 12 and o fool ya, he didnt win it the first year he could.

You are are a bad path here. One of the key sore spots that Bo left Riley and Co was with the QB position. TA is a good kid, he tries hard, but he is simply not that good of a QB and not one thats strengths will fit Rileys offense that he wants to run. Hard to win a lot of games when the player you have at the QB spot is not good enough to win it for ya huh?

It is not about excuses, you use examples here that are apples and oranges specifically from a talent perspective. Urban Inherited Braxton Miller right? Riley inherited a QB whos completion percentage is under 55% last year. Big big big difference. We have unproven running backs right now, we have a new system that the kids are going to have to learn. We have holes on D and on O. We dont know how our O line will be. Not to mention our S&C has to be redone as it was bad with Bo and co here, as well as the culture of the program which was a toxic environment.

Make no mistake Riley and CO did not walk into an Oklahoma, Ohio State, or an Auburn situation like those other examples you mentioned, not even CLOSE> They have a LOT Of work to do and a LOT of things they have to FIX that the previous staff let go to pot.

So please dont come on here and put your foot down based on false pretenses or apples to oranges comparisons and not give these guys a break, Bo and Co did a TON of damage to this program and it is not a 1 year fix that is for sure.
Can these guys get us to the CHamp game in year 1? Sure, but I am not going to jump down their throats if they dont because they have more than a 1 year fix from what the last staff left them, and holes on the team that need to be filled and at some very key positions.

Not to a negative here but

Stoops inherited a team with four straight losing seasons - he did not have a QB on the roster he recruited Heupel a JC QB his first year - as far as overall talent how good was it really? or did he develop what he had - the previous records to his arrival did not indicate it that it was that good at all

Malzahn - inherited an offense that scored a total of 224 pts the whole season his first year they scored 553 points

OSU had some talent but Miller was true soph in Urbans first year

NE won 9 games last year it is not like our roster is devoid of talent and every team or most teams have holes to fill. Also our schedule is really not that tough. Riley and banker of course get a pass the first season but honestly we should expect a decent year. I especially expect to see our defense be better if not then what was the point to begin with

Reactions: huskerj12

Stoops inherited a team with four straight losing seasons - he did not have a QB on the roster he recruited Heupel a JC QB his first year - as far as overall talent how good was it really? or did he develop what he had - the previous records to his arrival did not indicate it that it was that good at all

Malzahn - inherited an offense that scored a total of 224 pts the whole season his first year they scored 553 points

NE won 9 games last year it is not like our roster is devoid of talent and every team or most teams have holes to fill. Also our schedule is really not that tough. Riley and banker of course get a pass the first season but honestly we should expect a decent year. I especially expect to see our defense be better if not then what was the point to begin with
I think most on here are saying they expect Riley to have a good year. However, what is also being said is that if he doesn't, that doesn't automatically make this a fail hire.

Some are already lining up their ducks so that if he loses 4 or 5 games they can toot their horn and proclaim their brilliance over said failed hire...

That is what I have been most outspoken about, that we give him more than a year to say it was a bad hire. Too many variables that could cause some trouble this season... Are there variables for every team? Absolutely! But we aren't talking about other teams... We are talking about the Huskers. Give the man at least two years before announcing him as a failure... Is that too much to ask?

I think most on here are saying they expect Riley to have a good year. However, what is also being said is that if he doesn't, that doesn't automatically make this a fail hire.

Some are already lining up their ducks so that if he loses 4 or 5 games they can toot their horn and proclaim their brilliance over said failed hire...

That is what I have been most outspoken about, that we give him more than a year to say it was a bad hire. Too many variables that could cause some trouble this season... Are there variables for every team? Absolutely! But we aren't talking about other teams... We are talking about the Huskers. Give the man at least two years before announcing him as a failure... Is that too much to ask?
Really Riley will get a minimum of 4 years unless the teams absolutely stink - But I think the issue is what to expect and what should we see if in fact he is going to take the program forward.

I say while the talent is not great its not bad and certainly the equal in my mind of any one else in our division
We saw with other coaches that if the first year takes a big step back then it does not bode well over the next 3 or 4 years. Callahan fielded a decent team his third year but the first year was really bad. Stoops and other coaches took over programs with bad records and they imporved the first year.

I think for me since this thread is about Banker is that I want to see our defense start dominating some opponents and have good technique and play with their hair on fire. I think it is reasonable to expect this the first year. The offense may need a QB and a little more time to get it down but we shoudl see improvement on the defensive side

I do not care what the record looks like in year really but If Riley is to get off to a good start then beating MSU and especially Wisc woudl be the way to do that

Reactions: timnsun

I totally expect us to have a similar or better record than last year. I'm sure there are a couple people who want to be proven right about him being a bad hire, but they are a HUGE minority. I think it's totally ok to expect a good year in Year One! We seem to have upgraded in just about every position coachingwise, and some really good talent, so even though we have new systems and terminology I have a ton of faith in the 2015 season. The only reason I could see us having a worse record than last year is if 2-3 LBs get injured or something.

I totally expect us to have a similar or better record than last year. I'm sure there are a couple people who want to be proven right about him being a bad hire, but they are a HUGE minority. I think it's totally ok to expect a good year in Year One! We seem to have upgraded in just about every position coachingwise, and some really good talent, so even though we have new systems and terminology I have a ton of faith in the 2015 season. The only reason I could see us having a worse record than last year is if 2-3 LBs get injured or something.
Agree, that's why I said some.

It's hard to quantify the number, somewhere between 4 and 6, that seem to be certain he will fail. Now to be fair, we haven't heard those voices much since recruiting has ramped up.

But rest assured, if injuries hit us hard and we don't do well, we will hear from them again.

Reactions: huskerj12

Malzahn inherited a team whose previous 4 recruiting rankings that came to campus by the day he stepped onto the sidelines was: 19th, 4th, 7th, and 10th. For a four year average of 10th overall in the country. Make no mistake, Malzahn inherited a TON of talent leading up to the day he set foot on campus. The reason why they were so bad the year before, was because the previous coach sucked, not because they lacked talent. Thus that is why that coach was jettisoned.

The core of stoops Natty title team was mostly made up of John Blakes recruits, not Stooops guys. So ol Bobby inherited some talent, who cares if he had to recruit a QB big whoop.

Braxton being a true soph means nothing these days, especially since the last two Heisman winners previous to last year were both RS Frosh, which would be the exact same thing in years that Braxton was. Nothing to see here. And again Urban inherited by far the MOST talented team overall in the Big 10 when he arrived. Add to that PSU, and Michigan were down, so it made it even easier for him to run roughshod over the Little 10.

We are in no way in the same situations as those above examples, we dont have the talent that those other teams did, and we have more holes than those other teams did.

Malzahn inherited a team whose previous 4 recruiting rankings that came to campus by the day he stepped onto the sidelines was: 19th, 4th, 7th, and 10th. For a four year average of 10th overall in the country. Make no mistake, Malzahn inherited a TON of talent leading up to the day he set foot on campus. The reason why they were so bad the year before, was because the previous coach sucked, not because they lacked talent. Thus that is why that coach was jettisoned.

The core of stoops Natty title team was mostly made up of John Blakes recruits, not Stooops guys. So ol Bobby inherited some talent, who cares if he had to recruit a QB big whoop.

Braxton being a true soph means nothing these days, especially since the last two Heisman winners previous to last year were both RS Frosh, which would be the exact same thing in years that Braxton was. Nothing to see here. And again Urban inherited by far the MOST talented team overall in the Big 10 when he arrived. Add to that PSU, and Michigan were down, so it made it even easier for him to run roughshod over the Little 10.

We are in no way in the same situations as those above examples, we dont have the talent that those other teams did, and we have more holes than those other teams did.
Not sure what you are trying to argue here: Lets say you are right and all these coaches walked into better situations. Is it still not reasonable to expect Riley to improve NU?

I do not expect a MNC but I do expect him to do better than Bo

Not sure what you are trying to argue here: Lets say you are right and all these coaches walked into better situations. Is it still not reasonable to expect Riley to improve NU?

I do not expect a MNC but I do expect him to do better than Bo
It is reasonable to expect Riley to improve NU. I expect he will.

But isn't it also reasonable to expect that there could be bumps in the road for the first year? Whether personnel, injuries, etc, that may make the first season not as successful as what we are hoping and expecting?

It is reasonable to expect Riley to improve NU. I expect he will.

But isn't it also reasonable to expect that there could be bumps in the road for the first year? Whether personnel, injuries, etc, that may make the first season not as successful as what we are hoping and expecting?
Most certainly - and like I said I think the record is not as important as seeing progress being made - For me that means playing WI and MSU a competitive game. What I would hate to see is something like Callahans first year - losing to Smiss, TT scoring 70 points.

If the team plays sound fundamental football and the effort is there great - If however we take a big step back and are not competitive then I think that spells trouble down the road

Most certainly - and like I said I think the record is not as important as seeing progress being made - For me that means playing WI and MSU a competitive game. What I would hate to see is something like Callahans first year - losing to Smiss, TT scoring 70 points.

If the team plays sound fundamental football and the effort is there great - If however we take a big step back and are not competitive then I think that spells trouble down the road

I would like to see a toughened up more disciplined team. I think there are things we can definitely improve upon that are the product of good coaching. Many may disagree but I don't trust Tommy Armstrong one bit and until we find a QB that falls in line with what Riley and Langsdorf I think there will be bumps. Hopefully one of the two commits is that gun slinger we are needing.

Reactions: SnohomishRed

Nothing here that I disagree with. Well said.

Banker gave a great interview recently. Says you have to earn your right to belong to the N Legacy. He explained his recruiting plans and I think it is awesome. This is an open staff; we are lucky - its a B1G job under any circumstances; look at all the storied programs. Mix in up and comers and the upsets that happen every week. ....
I like our AD, I think he plans. We have a great team of coaches and support staff - too many Superheroes here with no empathy to the task. We will build a team; and improve every facet of the team, really what TO did; helps you out if an area excels in a game. ...
We have players recruiting each other. Probably have better commits where some may falter. If a talented TE prefers more of a wideout playing style; he has to go elsewhere. We have guys who will dig it out and get the passing game rolling ; a must if you want the next level by the way. ....
These coaches have a history of giving top teams fits when over matched by deep talent ( winning some ) - tells me in game adjustments are going to take a big leap forward. We have depth and talent - HCMR says we need to get to high levels in the recruiting ranks : but enjoy the raw talent they unearth and the stars that get added on later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT