ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Schedule Predictions - Percentages and Scores

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
This is just for fun, so please chill in advance. Just wanted to get some Husker season talk going...

Sept. 5 BYU - 60% which might be a tad high. Who the hell knows how Nebraska, specifically the offense, will emerge heading into the season opener. Honestly, probably a coin flip. Giving Nebraska an edge at home. 21-20, Nebraska.

Sept. 12 South Alabama - 98%. Inferior opponent. Plus, now that Bo's gone, it won't be left up to Ameer to win it at the end. 42-17, Nebraska.

Sept. 19 at Miami (FL) - 45%. Similar to BYU, probably a coin flip with an edge to Miami at home. First big road test for Riley. 27-24, Miami.

Sept. 26 Southern Miss - 95%. Southern Miss is still awful. 44-14, Nebraska.

Oct. 3 at Illinois - 85%. The Illini may be improving a bit, but it's at a snail's pace. Should have no problem here. But they may make a game of it. Briefly. 38-20, Nebraska.

Oct. 10 Wisconsin - 20%. Let's face it, Wisky has our number. And Chryst will do what Anderson did. Just keep the train rolling. I hate Wisconsin. 42-27, Wisconsin.

Oct. 17 at Minnesota - 60%. I like our chances here. The past 2 games were mainly ugly football, not anything dominant on Minnesota's part. 31-24, Nebraska.

Oct. 24 Northwestern - 75%. Last year we finally separated ourselves from NW (prior meetings all being close). That continues. 35-17, Nebraska.

Oct. 31 at Purdue - 98%. Like Illinois, there's improvement, but not much. Nebraska rolls. 49-14, Nebraska.

Nov. 7 Michigan State - 30%. Michigan State is top 10 and deservedly so. 28-20, Michigan State.

Nov. 14 at Rutgers - 70%. Potential trap game, but I don't think so. I don't buy that Flood is making progress. 34-13, Nebraska.

Nov. 27 Iowa - 65%. Are we past losing or squeaking out games to inferior Iowa? Losing, yes. Squeaking out, no. 28-27, Nebraska.

9-3

I don't see major flaws in your assumptions. I think that may shake out that way, with one caveat. IF Nebraska goes clean through BYU and Miami, you may see the team really buy into what Riley is selling which could lead to a special season. Whenever there is a new coach, the beginning of the season is especially important to establish what is possible.

If I had to bet, I'd guess 9-3 also, maybe with a surprise on one win and a surprise on a loss, but time will tell.

Nice job. I am going to option out on a few. I think we go 1-1 vs Miami Wisc. If TA has learned progressions and safety movement we can win both. As long as we have a back up qb who can spell him in his bad times; we can beat about anyone. I think the DB's and line will be very strong and strong. So its lb play on D for the tipping point - our D could be crushing at times; if they are true to their creating turn overs, we can hurt some good teams.. If D had steadied by MSU; it revolves around our qb adjustments, we can beat them. So reading yours; made me feel we can have a special season and 2 losses or fewer.

I appreciate the effort....long summer ahead but its fun to speculate. Two worries I have if your predictions come close to being true. At Miami and At Illinois.......and Illini scores just 7 less than the canes on our D? Can't see that being the case. One is too high or one is too low IMO.
And if Whisky scores over 40, count me as being pissed.

W BYU - 55%. HFA the difference. 35-31
W South Alabama - 85%. closer game than expected. 35-20
L at Miami - 30%. Big road test. 24-31
W Southern Miss - 90%. Rebound game. 35-17
W at Illinois - 55%. Welcome to the B1G, Coach Riley. 31-28
L Wisconsin - 25%. at least it won't be a blowout loss this time -- 23-31
L at Minnesota - 35%. this is the staff I wish NU had imported - 24-31
W Northwestern - 50%. Always close games in this series, so this goes to overtime -- 27-24 OT
W at Purdue - 65%. road wins in the B1G are still tough to get (just ask Tim Miles) - 31-24
L Michigan State - 15%. Wish I could be more optimistic. 21-38
L at Rutgers - 45%. agree that it's a trap (just ask Michigan last year) 27-30
W Iowa - 50%. HFA and 13 days to prepare. 28-27

7-5, but par for the course for Riley.

Foster Farms Bowl vs. Oregon State :)

Last edited:
W Northwestern - 50%. Always close games in this series, so this goes to overtime -- 27-24 OT
W at Purdue - 65%. road wins in the B1G are still tough to get (just ask Tim Miles) - 31-24

Michigan went 5-7 last season. Really hope we don't lost to Rutgers.

10-2, losses to Minnesota and Mich. State

Silly

Reactions: shizzle06
I haven't done any cfb work yet, but I would think at home we're at least -6.5 vs BYU. That's basically a 67% favorite.

I get that it's fun to speculate and that's what a message board is for...but I'm going to take a wait and see approach as I don't really trust Tommy Armstrong in this offense yet. Couple that with our lack of depth on defense(until proven otherwise)...I really don't know what our record will be. In this offense...if Armstrong hasn't made some improvements I think it could be a disaster. If he learns to take care of the ball I think we can compete to win the division.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
This is just for fun, so please chill in advance. Just wanted to get some Husker season talk going...

Sept. 5 BYU - 60% which might be a tad high. Who the hell knows how Nebraska, specifically the offense, will emerge heading into the season opener. Honestly, probably a coin flip. Giving Nebraska an edge at home. 21-20, Nebraska.

Sept. 12 South Alabama - 98%. Inferior opponent. Plus, now that Bo's gone, it won't be left up to Ameer to win it at the end. 42-17, Nebraska.

Sept. 19 at Miami (FL) - 45%. Similar to BYU, probably a coin flip with an edge to Miami at home. First big road test for Riley. 27-24, Miami.

Oct. 3 at Illinois - 85%. The Illini may be improving a bit, but it's at a snail's pace. Should have no problem here. But they may make a game of it. Briefly. 38-20, Nebraska.

Oct. 10 Wisconsin - 20%. Let's face it, Wisky has our number. And Chryst will do what Anderson did. Just keep the train rolling. I hate Wisconsin. 42-27, Wisconsin.

Oct. 17 at Minnesota - 60%. I like our chances here. The past 2 games were mainly ugly football, not anything dominant on Minnesota's part. 31-24, Nebraska.

Oct. 24 Northwestern - 75%. Last year we finally separated ourselves from NW (prior meetings all being close). That continues. 35-17, Nebraska.

Oct. 31 at Purdue - 98%. Like Illinois, there's improvement, but not much. Nebraska rolls. 49-14, Nebraska.

Nov. 7 Michigan State - 30%. Michigan State is top 10 and deservedly so. 28-20, Michigan State.

Nov. 14 at Rutgers - 70%. Potential trap game, but I don't think so. I don't buy that Flood is making progress. 34-13, Nebraska.

Nov. 27 Iowa - 65%. Are we past losing or squeaking out games to inferior Iowa? Losing, yes. Squeaking out, no. 28-27, Nebraska.

9-3

If I add up your probabilities, I get 8.01, which suggests an 8-4 season. The over/under for wins is 8, so your game by game is consistent with the odds-makers season prediction.

9-3
I see noway the byu game is 21-20. Will be alot more points scored in that game. with hill coming back at qb the byu offense is really good. the byu defense is really bad. it will be close like you said but i see alot more points being scored by both teams

If we only score 21 against BYU I'll be concerned for our offense.

BYU has Taysom Hill, a pair of very good very tall receivers, a good starting OL with nearly zero depth but they have serious problems on defense.

BYU's defensive backs should not be able to stay with our receivers. They graduated 3 of their top safeties, another transferred, and the last safety who got any serious PT last year is at the head of the list of guys likely to be suspended against us for the bowl game brawl. They have two good corners and nobody else who's played much. Guys will absolutely be open if Tommy can hit them.

Hard to pick a score until we know who is suspended for that game (10 players will be disciplined in some way) but I definitely expect a higher scoring game and the only way BYU wins is if Hill just beats us almost single-handedly. Which could happen, if he's not slowed at all from last year's injury he's as dangerous as any QB out there.

I agree with all the predictions except Wisconsin. I know you're going off precedent, but I still think it's more or less a coin-flip. I wouldn't place us below a 40% shot to win. We won't have our vaunted Pelini defense, which was atrocious against Wisconsin's running attack, and they'll be replacing a lot of key guys, along with their head coach. That plus we get them at home? I'd actually favor us. I do think we'll drop another unexpected one somewhere along the way, however. 9-3 sounds right, regrettably...

I dont think, I know we won't have the same performances against wisconsin that we had under pelini, look at Riley and Bankers games against them compared to Bo's. And then look at talent level we have had against Oregon St. Someone had posted after the Gordon thrashing last year that wisconsin made a bunch of adjustments at half to counter what Bo would do. .... and they didn't have to make the adjustments because Bo didnt make any, hence the same repeated run plays for a gazillion yards by Wiscy, He said the Wiscy coaches were just laughing at Bo, not only because he couldnt stop them but he didn't even try! You won't see the same stubbornness out of this staff

I get that it's fun to speculate and that's what a message board is for...but I'm going to take a wait and see approach as I don't really trust Tommy Armstrong in this offense yet. Couple that with our lack of depth on defense(until proven otherwise)...I really don't know what our record will be. In this offense...if Armstrong hasn't made some improvements I think it could be a disaster. If he learns to take care of the ball I think we can compete to win the division.
@huskerbaseball13 I agree. I think it could go the way of Joe Dailey/Billy C. Hopefully it doesn't, but I think that possibility is there.

We got predictions from 7-5 up to 10-2. Somewhere in that range sounds like a good early guess.

I think the staff and the players have their work cut out for them from now through to the first game to put a good product on the field. I know it was just a spring game and lots of players were getting looks, so I'm not alarmed. But, our new "run-stopper" defense didn't stop the run, and our passing execution left room for improvement.

We got predictions from 7-5 up to 10-2. Somewhere in that range sounds like a good early guess.

I think the staff and the players have their work cut out for them from now through to the first game to put a good product on the field. I know it was just a spring game and lots of players were getting looks, so I'm not alarmed. But, our new "run-stopper" defense didn't stop the run, and our passing execution left room for improvement.

Lot of the run-stopping falls to the front 7 and I think we all agree that while our starters might be good we lack depth at most positions in the front 7--everywhere except probably DT. Most of our best were on the Red team in the spring game. In the first half, White rushed 6 times for 9 yards. That's not too bad. Third quarter Wilbon and Nelson broke a couple long runs but other than those two runs White was at 14 carries for 10 yards.

Passing execution needs improvement virtually across the board, but I thought the first-team starters on defense did pretty well against the run. White team which started guys I've never heard of (Alex Boryca?) didn't do as well stopping the run.

I hate today it but the vaunted gp
Ophers are a bigger game then the suckeyes they have our number. Coach will TCB and we will be OK ,predict the usual 9-3 which is greatGBR

Reactions: AhliBobwa
If Riley can beat BYU and Miami very good chance this team could have a 10-2 season.

I have a little trouble understanding the love for Miami and Wisconsin. Miami if I'm correct lost 7 players to the draft. True, they usually have some good athletes but 7 players off a team we beat last year is tough to overcome. I like our chances in this game. Wisconsin also lost their best player. New coaching staff and the game is in Lincoln. No excuses about first year coaching staffs if we lose this game.

I don't get the Miami and Wisconsin love either. As long as Golden is the coach at Miami, they will underachieve. Cryst struggled at Pitt and he's without Melvin Gorden next year (and we get them at home at night).

Michigan State (and probably Miami) are the two teams on the schedule with more talent, we'll have better jimmy's and joe's than everyone else on the schedule.

I have a hard time thinking we won't win the west. Only to be throw into the wood chipper by osu in the B1G championship.

My first thought would be to rate our chances better vs Wisky than at Miami, but I haven't done any research yet.

I hate today it but the vaunted gp
Ophers are a bigger game then the suckeyes they have our number. Coach will TCB and we will be OK ,predict the usual 9-3 which is greatGBR

Gotta love it when people call us suckeyes...how old are you 10 ? wow

Illinois is a team to watch out for because they run spread and Banker has trouble stopping it. Rutgers is a trap game, b/c they have been adding good talent, its faraway in New Jersey right after a big game vs. MSU, and right before a bye week.

I think NU gord 3-1 in the non-con with a loss to miami. byu will be a single digit win. 2 losses in the big ten regular season, MSU and minn. 9-3 finish.

ADVERTISEMENT