ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska=Massachusetts

But that would be my point. In an open and shut case, the prosecution probably isn't going to plea down charges, he's got it in the bag. But the defense can basically make a mercy play, by rolling over, and cutting the prosecutor out of the loop entirely and hoping for the mercy of the court for their compliance. That's not a prosecutorial tool.
Agree that is on the court and the prosecution should not allow it nor the court to be able to accept it without prosecution agreement. Those prosecutors should be removed

newAD - understand your frustration, but not the gripe about the legislators. Isn't the way it works is people vote for representation, then the legislators vote on bills? The alternative is for it to be like here in California where the senate and house lack courage to vote on anything, so everything is on the ballot and misinformed people vote for whatever has the slickest TV campaign no matter how stupid the initiative is (e.g. bullet train). When this issue gets on the ballot as an initiative, which I assume it will, I assume it will specify executions go back to being done by the electric chair. Things just haven't been the same back in Nebraska since they got rid of Old Sparky.

You do know that this is how representative government works.

I have often wondered when talking to folks, how it is so many bubbles form separating them from the rest of mankind.

The available data seems to indicate that Nebraskans are pretty much like every other state in the union, the top two issues are jobs and taxes, and education usually third, and legislator employment vis a vis the death penalty, can measure the die hards in single digits. Meaning, its probably a fair bet the legislature isn't much shaken up over this, even given Rickett's proclamation that he is the people, more than the people's house.

I would say very few innocent folks have been put to death out of the millions who deserve it

Its within our power to make that number zero. I accept collateral in war because its not within our power to stop it, and we do what needs to be done.

I personally wouldn't want to die, knowing that most of the time, they always get their man. Nor anyone else in Husker nation.

I have often wondered when talking to folks, how it is so many bubbles form separating them from the rest of mankind.

The available data seems to indicate that Nebraskans are pretty much like every other state in the union, the top two issues are jobs and taxes, and education usually third, and legislator employment vis a vis the death penalty, can measure the die hards in single digits. Meaning, its probably a fair bet the legislature isn't much shaken up over this, even given Rickett's proclamation that he is the people, more than the people's house.

Guess we will find out in next election because the decision can be reversed just as easy couldn't it.

Its within our power to make that number zero. I accept collateral in war because its not within our power to stop it, and we do what needs to be done.

I personally wouldn't want to die, knowing that most of the time, they always get their man. Nor anyone else in Husker nation.

I am pretty positive I won't be in the situation I will take my chances! Save the unborn first they are all innocent would you agree?

Guess we will find out in next election because the decision can be reversed just as easy couldn't it.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on the whole "just as easy" thing.

The liberal nation thought Obama was going to race whole hog away from the national security apparatus that Bush constructed, to include Gitmo. Not really much has changed, save some leaks from Snowden that now have the people in an uproar, it might have never changed.

The GOP thought they were going to ride the Obamacare to the Supreme Court and win. Didn't happen. Thought they could hold the countries' attention 18 months till the next election and reverse it, didn't happen. Still to pointing to various court dates and elections as key swing moments in history, but the only one that has really reversed is the immigration one, and that's only a hold. Pointed to last congressional cycle to take back the house and stop the Obama agenda, largely hasn't happened saved the R's approving his nominations rather than the D's.

Its hard a thing, rallying the troops.

I am pretty positive I won't be in the situation I will take my chances! Save the unborn first they are all innocent would you agree?

There's no difference between an innocent middle aged woman, and an innocent baby. They are both innocent and should live.

The pro-life movement is where I think conservatives will eventually get their win. The death penalty will die out, gay marriage will stand, and some form of govt healthcare initiative will be around, but the numbers are trending out pretty well on the life movement. But I don't think its real imminent.

Reactions: HuskerO
And they should be voted out if you disagree with their vote

Nah... The idiots of our state will re-elect based on being a sheep in a party line herd, or stupid enough to believe a bag full of false campaign promises these guys will throw at them come the next election cycle. It's tried and true, and some random death penalty vote won't change that.

Prison labor is needed. Require them to work within the gates all day long. That might change their thoughts about committing crime.

Take it one step further. Build a Prison on top of Scottsbluff National Monument, and every day There is a Cage match fight on the side of the bluff. Loser falls to his death. Winner gets extra corn for dinner.

One Person changed my view of the Death Penalty forever. John Joubert! Nobody like this sick individual should have peace in knowing he will die of natural causes...

Reactions: sparky62
Couldn't agree more John Joubert was one sick bastard. Go look those mothers in there eyes, and tell them this sick bastard will live to be very old. He will get all the dental care he needs. He will grow old and fat. Certain sick twisted criminals need to be dead...

Reactions: arvadahusker
Ok, let's go that way, proof positive DNA match for murder, instant firing squad carried out.
That would thin out the guilty, save time, tax money, 3 squares a day, upkeep and free up cell space to house more bad guys.

I want all folks getting benefits drug tested and put to work to earn those entitlements. Plenty of ways to earn their keep.

you realize testing everyone would cost more than what would be saved, right? Let's make sure all the CEOs getting corporate welfare are tested as well, right?

Haven't used it since '97. Can't believe this is that big of a deal.

Exactly. So why take it off the books? Obviously Ernie and the libs in the legislature felt it was still a big deal.

So now I live in a state with no death penalty, and no legal way to guarantee life without possibility of parole. Our legislature wasn't smart enough to realize that, or they didn't care. As Sarpy County Attorney said on radio this morning, that should have been included in this asinine decision, but it wasn't.

Couldn't agree more John Joubert was one sick bastard. Go look those mothers in there eyes, and tell them this sick bastard will live to be very old. He will get all the dental care he needs. He will grow old and fat. Certain sick twisted criminals need to be dead...

Lets not forget, their is a certain element of sick and twistedness in leaving a guy in a box like a rat for the rest of his life to think about what he did. No chance of ever getting out, no matter how much he changes. Yes, he'll receive medical care, and some crappy food and beverage every day, but not much else. Just time to think, and think... and think.... and think about what he has done. Emotional damage at its finest.

I was the age of those boys living in Omaha when that happened. Mothers were afraid to let their boys outside out of their sights. One mother of his victims never mentally recovered.

Joubert got what he deserved, and it is the absolute monsters like him, Starkweather, Ryan from Rulo, Robert Hawkins (Von Maur shooter, had he not killed himself and been apprehended), Anthony Garcia, the man who killed his mom, and threw his half brother in the Elkhorn River, etc, etc, who our prosecutors should still have the option to seek the death penalty for.

It is just unfathomable that in Nebraska, at least until the next legislative session, a mass or serial killer in Nebraska has no guarantee of facing the death penalty or life without the possibility of parole.

Lets not forget, their is a certain element of sick and twistedness in leaving a guy in a box like a rat for the rest of his life to think about what he did. No chance of ever getting out, no matter how much he changes.

There is no law in Nebraska now that guarantees that a person sentenced to life in prison can't receive parole. Pathetic.

you realize testing everyone would cost more than what would be saved, right? Let's make sure all the CEOs getting corporate welfare are tested as well, right?

cubsker, I don't believe we would need to run DNA samples on all criminals. As a cost savings, let's execute those proven guilty. Show hard core career criminals the way to their maker. Firing squads, no malfunctions, cheap & efficient. I'd wager a small percent would think twice before murdering decent folks.

The DNA testing on the left over pizza nabbed that murderous DC area POS. Now, the legal system will drag on while he breathes my fresh air. Send his ass to hell right now, issue him a Gary Gilmore bulls-eye T shirt & get busy.

White collar criminals, hard labor, no cushy club Fed time.

Sit in a box like a rat. Come on, guys that are serving life have 3 meals a day, the opportunity to get an education, medical and dental. Be able to work inside prison. Like I said . The Joubert ' of the world need the death penalty. Same goes with the Norfolk bank killers. Or cutting up a child and feeding it to your dog.

Sit in a box like a rat. Come on, guys that are serving life have 3 meals a day, the opportunity to get an education, medical and dental. Be able to work inside prison. Like I said . The Joubert ' of the world need the death penalty. Same goes with the Norfolk bank killers. Or cutting up a child and feeding it to your dog.

Why? So you feel better? You'll risk innocents being executed by the state so that you can feel better having not provided dental care to a bad guy?

First off, let me make 1 thing perfectly clear... I don't care one way or the other which way this state goes in terms of the death penalty. I'm not about to pretend to know the pain the families of slain family members feel. Its ridiculous for any of us to pretend to know what they go through. I'm sure some of those family are for the death penalty and some against it. Since the death penalty doesn't (and hopefully never will) affect me one bit, I have no stance on it. I was merely presenting that prison, if done properly, isn't the vacation your making it out to be here. A lifetime of being some bubba's "buddy", or lunchroom or yard brawls isn't exactly a picnic I would imagine, even with 3 squares a day.

Actually my biggest beef with it is how much attention its getting when there are other bills out there that need the attention its getting, but won't because our voting populace is either A. To dumb to care, or B. Blinded by party lines. Either way, its taken up way to much time. Luckily in a few weeks, something else (most likely equally unimportant to them) will be stuck in front of the 5 minute memory crowds mind, and no one (outside of the vocal minority) will give a rip about this debate anymore. And the cycle will continue.

cubsker, I don't believe we would need to run DNA samples on all criminals. As a cost savings, let's execute those proven guilty. Show hard core career criminals the way to their maker. Firing squads, no malfunctions, cheap & efficient. I'd wager a small percent would think twice before murdering decent folks.

The DNA testing on the left over pizza nabbed that murderous DC area POS. Now, the legal system will drag on while he breathes my fresh air. Send his ass to hell right now, issue him a Gary Gilmore bulls-eye T shirt & get busy.

White collar criminals, hard labor, no cushy club Fed time.

I feel your frustration with our Criminal Justice system's obvious weaknesses. However, even though you feel you'll personally never need them I hope the protections and rights we give to all criminals remain, in the unlikely event you do.

Reactions: Red Law
I feel your frustration with our Criminal Justice system's obvious weaknesses. However, even though you feel you'll personally never need them I hope the protections and rights we give to all criminals remain, in the unlikely event you do.

Well said. I hope I am never wrongly accused and convicted of any crime.
IAmaFugitivefromaChainGang.jpg

Great film from 1932. The real life story of Robert Burns.

Ashamed to be a Nebraskan today. No vote of the people, just an act by a legislative body that gave in to one man.

Sorry in advance mods as I assume this will get locked.

"No vote of the people"??? Are you serious, Clark?

There are several laws that get passed on an annual basis that are not decided by the votes of the people. This is how a democratic society works. We elect people to represent us. Sometimes they don't align with what we all want individually, but they were elected to fulfill the duties of doing what is best for the state.

I also think it's a slap in the face to the majority that passed this law to say "they gave in to one man." These representatives make up their own mind and did what they felt was best for the state.

There's no difference between an innocent middle aged woman, and an innocent baby. They are both innocent and should live.

The pro-life movement is where I think conservatives will eventually get their win. The death penalty will die out, gay marriage will stand, and some form of govt healthcare initiative will be around, but the numbers are trending out pretty well on the life movement. But I don't think its real imminent.

I can see that, but hope not. This would be a step backward. Forcing all women to carry every conception to term is big government exerting control over one's body. For what? Abortions will just get driven underground, as they used to be. Which is good for nobody.

Neither is forcing a child to be born into a situation where the family is not ready (or perhaps already broken -- rape as an example). You might say "you shouldn't have sex until you are ready to raise a family", but is the government going to start controlling that, too? Mistakes happen.

The fight for life should be for more sex ed, easier and lower cost access to birth control. Stop the bad situations from happening as much as possible, but recognize that when they do, abortion can be a recourse. If the conservatives get their way and impose their own values through government, they will be more than happy to leave mothers, families, and children in the cold. These struggling folks will be told not to suckle at the government's teat.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Lets not forget, their is a certain element of sick and twistedness in leaving a guy in a box like a rat for the rest of his life to think about what he did. No chance of ever getting out, no matter how much he changes. Yes, he'll receive medical care, and some crappy food and beverage every day, but not much else. Just time to think, and think... and think.... and think about what he has done. Emotional damage at its finest.

Unfortunately I doubt a good deal of murderers (at least those heinous enough to garner death consideration) think about the pain they've caused and actually feel remorse or empathy for the families. I think that sentiment is overstated. I do think losing the freedom to run wild and do whatever they want gets to them, but many also simply adjust to prison and really don't suffer all that much.

I'm not too passionate about the issue. A death sentence in Nebraska essentially equates to life anyway. I do agree that it should have remained available for those especially brutal cases.

I like to think that America is better than those third world countries in terms of justice and rights of it's citizens, but if you believe that we need to move that way go ahead and preach it.
...didn't realize Singapore was a 3rd world country.

Ashamed to be a Nebraskan today. No vote of the people, just an act by a legislative body that gave in to one man.

Sorry in advance mods as I assume this will get locked.
Not sure what people are upset about. The state of Nebraska has a convict who's been on death row for 35 years. The cult leader spent 30 years on death row before dying last week. Three have been executed in the last 40 years (none in last 19 years). I wouldn't be surprised if more death row inmates have died of other causes rather than being put to death.

Why have a death penalty if you are not going to use it? The way the state uses it now is it's just a much more expensive version of a life sentence. I am pro death penalty, but there's nothing to get upset about-- Tom Osborne was still coaching the last time we actually did what we said we were going to do and put someone to death.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT