ADVERTISEMENT

N. Fant Recruitment

Husk10

All-American
Dec 3, 2005
Texas
Interesting issues taking place with Mr. Fant from Omaha. Initially he was scheduled to be at BRW and a lot of people on the inter-webs were thinking he was going to commit very soon. However, he recently stated that he's pushing back his decision and has cancelled his trip to Lincoln from BRW and instead, will be heading to Oregon for an unofficial visit; who is recruiting him as an OLB vs. NU at DE.

He's a top 3 kid from Nebraska, at a position of need, but also at a position where NU seems to be in a really good spot with a lot of other players, nationally, who are maybe, better than Fant.

Thoughts? Does NU continue the recruitment and play "the game" or give Fant the "crap or get off the pot" talk?

Is this a similar issue NU is having with Bubak? NU seems to be in on a lot of really good TEs. So does that mean NU takes the best or focus efforts on the best in-state and maybe pass on a more talented kid?

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Noah-Fant-159989

Interesting issues taking place with Mr. Fant from Omaha. Initially he was scheduled to be at BRW and a lot of people on the inter-webs were thinking he was going to commit very soon. However, he recently stated that he's pushing back his decision and has cancelled his trip to Lincoln from BRW and instead, will be heading to Oregon for an unofficial visit; who is recruiting him as an OLB vs. NU at DE.

He's a top 3 kid from Nebraska, at a position of need, but also at a position where NU seems to be in a really good spot with a lot of other players, nationally, who are maybe, better than Fant.

Thoughts? Does NU continue the recruitment and play "the game" or give Fant the "crap or get off the pot" talk?

Is this a similar issue NU is having with Bubak? NU seems to be in on a lot of really good TEs. So does that mean NU takes the best or focus efforts on the best in-state and maybe pass on a more talented kid?

I don't know how Riley prefers to play this. A local kid who meets the D1 threshold, is probably considered an easier "get" because you have some innate fan bias in the player most likely. If the kid doesn't seem to give NU any particular pedestal compared to others, then at that point, its seems likely to become more scrutiny whether Fant has skills that can be eclipsed by out of state players, for the same or less amount of recruiting effort.

So to me, this is going to be a judgment call by the staff, how likely a dude is to be in the stable, vs his skills, vs the all the rest. With the "home town homer" bonus from the fan base, only a partial consideration .

I hope Fant ends up at NU, but can't fault a kid for exploring his options, especially one that hasn't committed to anyone. If you're Riley you continue to recruit him. You don't have to necessarily 'move on'. In fact I expect the coaching to staff to have multiple targets at DE, that happens to include Fant.

IMO, we took a flyer with Daishon in last years class at DE just because he was local, if he was out of state and played that sh*t nobody would of gave any f*cks and would have stopped recruiting him. So this Fant is trying to play the same BS and IMO we have Waaaayy better options onn the table that we should say: sh*t or get off the pot, if he wasnt a local nobody would care about him. Same goes with Bubak, we have way better TEs in the fold as well

IMO, we took a flyer with Daishon in last years class at DE just because he was local, if he was out of state and played that sh*t nobody would of gave any f*cks and would have stopped recruiting him. So this Fant is trying to play the same BS and IMO we have Waaaayy better options onn the table that we should say: sh*t or get off the pot, if he wasnt a local nobody would care about him. Same goes with Bubak, we have way better TEs in the fold as well
What game is Fant playing? Who has he committed to. Man, some folks need to chill a bit.

Can't say how this staff handles things until we know them better. A staff can make a number of offers, accept takers on a first-come, first serve basis, and shut it down when the spots are full with likely signees. The danger is last-minute decommits and not being able to pick up a good player late in the game because you are full. Also, it does not accommodate guys who come on their senior years. Or - a staff can offer their first choices, then string guys along who are lower on their board. I think that was the philosophy of the last staff more or less. The danger is the first choice goes somewhere else and they have to take pot luck to fill the class, or not fill the class. Sometimes the pot luck guys have issues.

I suspect this staff is more apt to offer a number of guys, fill the spots and shut it down. If so, I don't see them giving Fant an ultimatum.

If you read the article it says he is attending BRW then visit the other schools.

I hope Fant ends up at NU, but can't fault a kid for exploring his options, especially one that hasn't committed to anyone. If you're Riley you continue to recruit him.

I agree.

Bubak, according to Rivals, is the 24th best TE of this class. There's only 2 guys at TE ranked higher that are even giving us equal consideration in a long list, based on Rivals info.

Maybe we'll find out later this year how the staff will handle instate players with "soft" commitments.

What game is Fant playing? Who has he committed to. Man, some folks need to chill a bit.

I agree. He's under no obligation at this point. If he has other opportunities he has a right to check them out. There's no reason to bash a local kid who wants to make sure he is making the right decision.

I was able to speak to him very briefly the day after his O. South team lost to Prep in the state championship basketball game. He was very gracious and showed no signs of being arrogant. If Riley and staff think he is good enough to be a contributor, I hope he stays home. So let him make sure he is happy to stay home.

Hey OP, that's whatvhappens when you don't read and pretend you do.

Hey you, ...never said I read an article. It was a topic on another message board that I read but do not post to, so I brought it over here to have some actual recruiting discussion.

Try not being an idiot. It's not hard.

I agree.

Bubak, according to Rivals, is the 24th best TE of this class. There's only 2 guys at TE ranked higher that are even giving us equal consideration in a long list, based on Rivals info.

Maybe we'll find out later this year how the staff will handle instate players with "soft" commitments.

That's according to rivals.

Austin Pope and Ben Stille are two guys that are intriguing.

Even if he doesn't go to BRW what is presented that he doesn't already know and what does he have the coaches aren't already aware of?

I can't disagree with this more. Neal was no where close to a flyer.

Also, we don't have any TEs in the fold, other than arguably Bubak.

Also, its May/June. What is the hurry to alienate kids? That is the type of crap that leaves you with a thin board at positions and taking flyers in January like Deandre Wills. The smart thing to do, as I agree with the assesment that we have more talented guys on the board at DE and TE, is to let the instate guys take their time.

I can't disagree with this more. Neal was no where close to a flyer.

Also, we don't have any TEs in the fold, other than arguably Bubak.

Also, its May/June. What is the hurry to alienate kids? That is the type of crap that leaves you with a thin board at positions and taking flyers in January like Deandre Wills. The smart thing to do, as I agree with the assesment that we have more talented guys on the board at DE and TE, is to let the instate guys take their time.

We'll see about Neal being a flyer, from what was said on the board lastdec./january was none if his "offers" to Okie or Oregon were committable, so his only other commitable offer was to Michigan who tried poaching almost all of our commits. And I guess Iowa but they are a joke when it comes to recruiting (not in the field, just recruiting), and I guess he isn't committed so he should explore his options now instead of pulling a Neal and Bubak. We DO have better options at TE than Bubak and also better than Fant but I was wrong to criticize him this early when he hasnt committed yet.

I don't really care who Neal could have committed to. He is a very good DE prospect and I am glad he ended up here. This is and likely has always been recruiting. Kids commit and then some take other visits. It only matters the first wednesday of February when they sign. No difference between a kid like Quayshon Alexander who is a strong lean and Bubak who is a "commit". You recruit everyone down to the wire. Its not wise to turn down talent that can help the team because they want to take visits, IMO.

I don't really care who Neal could have committed to. He is a very good DE prospect and I am glad he ended up here. This is and likely has always been recruiting. Kids commit and then some take other visits. It only matters the first wednesday of February when they sign. No difference between a kid like Quayshon Alexander who is a strong lean and Bubak who is a "commit". You recruit everyone down to the wire. Its not wise to turn down talent that can help the team because they want to take visits, IMO.

I'd love to eat crow on Neal, hope he does turn out a stud instead of a wasted scholly. I hope every single recruit we sign does, But we know thats just not reality. And good teams DO turn down talent if they want to take visits elsewhere after being committed, UCLA shut down their OL commitment last year from visiting us, told him if he visited he no longer had a scholly to them. Bama did the same with that DE that was going to visit. It happens all the time and thats how you keep kida committed, you dont allow them to play games and visit other schools because thats where you get all the decommits from. I know the staff wasnt in position to do that last year with Neal but I do believe they are in that position this year with certain prospects (Bubak) but since he is local they do not want to rile up the part of the fanbase that thinks Neb kids are the only way we can win big again. Ill give Fant credit for not committing anywhere then taking a bunch of visits. Get em out of the way then commit and shut it down. It is funny tho how some other recruiting sites writerrs were saying it was almost a done deal with Bubak to ASU about a month ago but now nothing has happened.

We'll see about Neal being a flyer, from what was said on the board lastdec./january was none if his "offers" to Okie or Oregon were committable, so his only other commitable offer was to Michigan who tried poaching almost all of our commits. And I guess Iowa but they are a joke when it comes to recruiting (not in the field, just recruiting), and I guess he isn't committed so he should explore his options now instead of pulling a Neal and Bubak. We DO have better options at TE than Bubak and also better than Fant but I was wrong to criticize him this early when he hasnt committed yet.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Teams don't make "uncommitable offers" weeks before signing day. In fact, offers to seniors in December and January of their senior years are about the most serious offers you will ever find.

1. Coaches will have evaluated senior film, body type, and athletcism. Kids are easier to project at that point, who might have been fringe prospects 18 months earlier are now easier to project at the next level. I actually wish Rivals would re rank kids after senior film evaluation.

2. Your depth chart, scholarships, and roster is pretty clear for the next season. You know where you need help more than you knew in October.

3. You usually know where your recruiting class stands. If you're taking a class of 25, and you have 4 spots left, you can be very specific with who you target.

Tyrin Ferguson added offers from Oklahoma, Arkansas and Arizona State in the final 2 weeks before signing day. Neal and Ferguson were both targeted after their senior seasons. Ferguson because of his unbelievable production and being named the Louisiana High School Defensive Player of the Year, and Neal because of his freakish Measurables.

And give me a break about Michigan just trying to "poach" Nebraska's recruits. They targeted Matt Snyder, who is arguably the top TE from the Bay area in the Class of 2015. If Mike Riley had stayed at Oregon State, Harbaugh would've still gone after Snyder. And if Riley was still at Oregon State, I bet Snyder ends up signing with Michigan. They targeted 3 players at 2 positions of need: TE and DE. Harbaugh loves tight ends, and the Defensive End depth at Michigan is worse than it is at Nebraska.

As for Noah Fant, stop worrying. He's going to be a Husker.

Bubak isn't evaluated fairly because he's a 6'4 235 lb Tight End running the Zone Read for a marginal Class C-1 program. That kid runs like Scott Frost, and he's only 16.

I'd love to eat crow on Neal, hope he does turn out a stud instead of a wasted scholly. I hope every single recruit we sign does, But we know thats just not reality. And good teams DO turn down talent if they want to take visits elsewhere after being committed, UCLA shut down their OL commitment last year from visiting us, told him if he visited he no longer had a scholly to them. Bama did the same with that DE that was going to visit. It happens all the time and thats how you keep kida committed, you dont allow them to play games and visit other schools because thats where you get all the decommits from. I know the staff wasnt in position to do that last year with Neal but I do believe they are in that position this year with certain prospects (Bubak) but since he is local they do not want to rile up the part of the fanbase that thinks Neb kids are the only way we can win big again. Ill give Fant credit for not committing anywhere then taking a bunch of visits. Get em out of the way then commit and shut it down. It is funny tho how some other recruiting sites writerrs were saying it was almost a done deal with Bubak to ASU about a month ago but now nothing has happened.

Then that Bama DE commit took a visit to Miss State, so where does that leave us? If Ulu-Perry is the UCLA commit you are referring to, our coaches shut down the visit because they didn't think he was seriously considering us. You can't stop kids from visiting other schools. Saban didn't and he probably has the most leverage of anyone in CFB. It seems like a hard and fast rule that works well in theory, but it is a nightmare in practice and really bad practice, IMO.

Let him know u are recruiting others and are only taking 2. When they are filled you are done. Then it's strictly on him. You keep recruiting until ur quota is met . whoever's left out...oh well.

Holla

If he's willing to commit, IMO you take the in-state commitment and you keep right on talking to the out-of-state kids. You should be trying to lock up the top kids from NE while you are ALSO getting the best kids you can nationally. There's no reason you should have to pick one or the other in June.

ADVERTISEMENT