ADVERTISEMENT

Most national predictions; probably think 9-3 would be good for N

dockentwo

All-American
Aug 13, 2004
BYU or Miami ( since when are they an easy out there) , as one or two losses. Wiscy or at Minnesota a loss. MSU a loss. Pick another. So its the N tradition that gets it too those that say 9 w's; Many will say 8-4.

Probably think? Have you seen national predictions or are you just guessing?

I wouldn't doubt if that's about how things shake it in terms of predictions, but interesting things happen when some wins get strung together and a team starts to believe in themselves.

If Nebraska can get through BYU/Miami clean, I wouldn't be surprised to see this team continue picking up steam.

I think you could take about any coaching staff and plug them in and finish with a 8-4 record with our players. Reality is we have no idea if we'll be 4-8 or 10-2.....kind of like predicting the weather 6 months from now. We don't know what we have at the helm yet and only time will tell.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
Rocky Mtn Husker, while I respect your main point that no one can tell the future. I'm going to say right now with complete certainty that Nebraska is NOT going to go 4-8 and finish with their worst season in 53 years.

Are you just guessing ? Wow if teams string a few wins in a row , they are on a roll; sheer genius. I look for N to be 5-0 when Wiscy comes to town; I believe in our coaches and players. When did playing in Miami become an easy out? So what did you base your opinion on? Athlon picking us second in our division ? Dienhart of BTN picking us 3rd by way of Wi first, Minnesota away and they just beat us two in a row - he stated WH says our chances not good with a new coach ( an MSU loss is a popular guess and Miami or another ). Just throwing a topic out for opinion and quotes of what people have heard.

I just don't see BYU, unless Banker is awful.

I don't see where Miami gets better. They were mediocre last year and lost a bunch to the NFL early. Kayaa is back which could be a challenge, but I don't see it.

Wisconsin has a new coach too and I'm not sure what they lost. Minnesota and MSU seem most likely, but I think we have too much talent for MN so unless coaching fails us again, I think we will win that one
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Minnesota has owned Nebraska the last 2 seasons. So picking them to beat the Huskers seems logical.

But I also think this will be a very big year for Minnesota. They lost a nucleus of difference makers who had really been there since Kill took over. Can they rebuild and replace legit NFL talent on offense?

Reactions: AhliBobwa
Cornicator, it was an exaggeration to make a point that predictions are just that, predictions. Although 4-8 is possible, it is highly unlikely.

I don't buy into this school has owned that school. While we have lost twice to Wiscy and Minnesota a bit recently, its pretty clear, at least to me, that the reason for both losses was Bo's inability to stop that particular style of offense. Will it be the same for Banker ? Who knows, but recent history isn't all that useful given the coaching staff change, IMO

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
We could lose to BYU, Miami, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and MSU making for a dismal first year for Riley. Or we could win all of those games as well. Who knows? The first season of any new coach is always a mystery. So much depends on the development of our QB in the new system and the play of our linebackers. But if those two areas develop nicely then I see no reason why we cannot run the table. There is not a single team on our schedule who "out talents" us by a mile. We have the talent to be in every game we play and, in my opinion, we will now have a superior coaching scheme as well to the one that other guy used on both sides of the ball.

Now all that said ... stuff happens and you also need to be lucky to run the table. You need to avoid the injury bug. You need to develop team chemistry. You need some in-game luck now and then. I will be surprised if we lose more than three games and I have a feeling in my gut that we are looking at a two loss regular season. And if we make it to the B1G title game, that will be a loss to OSU.

You are way more optimistic than I am. Since I don't know the talent of all the teams we play I can't compare
More talent does not always equal a win. My concern is we have weak areas that can be exploited. LB, DE, OL is pretty raw and a Qb in new system. Miami has some serious talent and BYU is no slouch. It is always a game of matchups.

Originally posted by TruHusker:
You are way more optimistic than I am. Since I don't know the talent of all the teams we play I can't compare
More talent does not always equal a win. My concern is we have weak areas that can be exploited. LB, DE, OL is pretty raw and a Qb in new system. Miami has some serious talent and BYU is no slouch. It is always a game of matchups.
Yep those are all areas of concern. And as I said above, we could easily lose five games as a result. But I think we have talent at LB that will develop nicely as the season goes on (barring injury), and we have solid defensive tackles and secondary people. Defensive end is thin, but I do not know why but I think we will see some emerging talent there. Maybe that is just my Red colored glasses I am wearing and the result of reading too much Sipple. Ha

We also have talent on the offensive line even it is green. And I love our core of receivers and running backs. And if the best QB we have is still Armstrong ... well, I think he is better than most people on here give him credit for. And now he has a real QB coach.

What I think is key is that we have to improve our rush defense. In the B1G you have to stop the run first. That was Bo's weakness in B1G play and he never got over that hump.

Bankers defenses have been in the top 15 in the nation several times, when OSU was good, no problem with him and LB coach Bray is an up an comer and will improve the LB position as long as he is at UNL.

Originally posted by spincity58:

Bankers defenses have been in the top 15 in the nation several times, when OSU was good, no problem with him and LB coach Bray is an up an comer and will improve the LB position as long as he is at UNL.
Really-top 15 in the nation 15 several times?

In scoring, I would assume, since that's what counts?

When?

Originally posted by nufaninouland:

Originally posted by spincity58:

Really-top 15 in the nation 15 several times?

In scoring, I would assume, since that's what counts?

When?
It is, what it is, nufan. At this point, it would be nice if people would quit bringing up stats from OSU, because it seems to get ugly. And, it makes me get pessimistic. Hopefully WE can be good on defense this year.
This post was edited on 4/20 6:37 PM by nebcountry

I don't have a problem seeing stats brought up from Oregon State. Banker has put togethet some solid units and some shaky units. The hope is that with more talent, 2 assistants with DC experience and a bright young coach like Bray, they'll put a great unit on the field here. At least philosophy wise, Banker teaches a lot of the concepts Narduzzi does. Now its a matter of teaching it and executing at a high level.

Banker is the one name/coach that I am not real jazzed about but they need to be given the benefit of doubt until they show us reason not to

BYU or Miami ( since when are they an easy out there) , as one or two losses. Wiscy or at Minnesota a loss. MSU a loss. Pick another. So its the N tradition that gets it too those that say 9 w's; Many will say 8-4.

I think anybody that thinks we do better than we did last year is living is a delusional world. Look at history people. On average teams that fire a coach after having a 7 win have a 50/50 chance of getting more wins the next season. The more wins the previous season, the less likely the new coach will improve on that the next season. Teams that finish with 9 wins on average lose 1 to 2 more games the next year with a new coach.

Now I am not saying it is impossible for Riley and Co to have a magical season and get to 10 or 11 wins, or even dare I say it, undefeated,but odds are not in their favor. It is just setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting to at least get 9 wins. Lets be realistic, If we can get to 7-9 wins under a new coach and new system, that should be considered pretty dang good. Then lets hope we can built from there.

I think anybody that thinks we do better than we did last year is living is a delusional world. Look at history people. On average teams that fire a coach after having a 7 win have a 50/50 chance of getting more wins the next season. The more wins the previous season, the less likely the new coach will improve on that the next season. Teams that finish with 9 wins on average lose 1 to 2 more games the next year with a new coach.

Now I am not saying it is impossible for Riley and Co to have a magical season and get to 10 or 11 wins, or even dare I say it, undefeated,but odds are not in their favor. It is just setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting to at least get 9 wins. Lets be realistic, If we can get to 7-9 wins under a new coach and new system, that should be considered pretty dang good. Then lets hope we can built from there.

I'm not quite sure it requires delusion to think a coach (whom nearly everyone believes to be an upgrade) can win the same number of games and possibly pick up one.

I'm not sure where your statistics come from, but I'd have to guess the number of coaches being replaced after winning 9 games is a small pool.

I actually predict another 9 win season, but I predict we'll be more competitive and I think we'll see signs of the team improving by the end of the year.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Courtesy of http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

FBS rankings in scoring defense: 2003-14

2014: Nebraska (59), Oregon State (96)
2013: Nebraska (50), Oregon State (90)
2012: Nebraska (58), Oregon State (22)
2011: Nebraska (42), Oregon State (89)

2010: Nebraska (9), Oregon State (64)
2009: Nebraska (1), Oregon State (57)
2008: Nebraska (80), Oregon State (47)

2007: Nebraska (114), Oregon State (33)

2006: Nebraska (24), Oregon State (54)
2005: Nebraska (25), Oregon State (105)
2004: Nebraska (71), Oregon State (48)

2003: Nebraska (2), Oregon State (16)

FBS rankings in defensive yardage: 2003-14

2014: Nebraska (52), Oregon State (74)
2013: Nebraska (40), Oregon State (100)
2012: Nebraska (35), Oregon State (30)
2011: Nebraska (37), Oregon State (84)

2010: Nebraska (11), Oregon State (86)
2009: Nebraska (7), Oregon State (46)
2008: Nebraska (55), Oregon State (23)

2007: Nebraska (112), Oregon State (8)

2006: Nebraska (56), Oregon State (59)
2005: Nebraska (26), Oregon State (84)
2004: Nebraska (56), Oregon State (18)

2003: Nebraska (11), Oregon State (7)

The facts! They burn!!!
burns.jpg

And the top 15 OSU defense-assuming scoring defense is the name is of the game-was when, exactly?

Almost any record would be acceptable this year given the total revamp being done by Riley. Will need to show progress in years 2/3 or things will get hot quick with most fans.

Ask spincity58.

All I know is that I've heard it's tough to recruit the difference makers to places like Corvallis when the town lacks an airport.

All I hope to see is more fundamentally sound football and the team improve through the season. In regards to the record, it is kind of a crisp shoot. With change there is always risk, you just need to work through any issues and improve.

Reactions: leodisflowers
9-3 in the transition year, with the depth issues would be a big win in my book. That BYU game to open the season and at Miami could make for a rocky start to the Mike Riley era.

This also shows that Pelini did care about defense at "one point" (2009 and 2010) prove it. What happened after Suh left really makes me wonder?

I don't remember any "Wisconsin" type games before the 9-6 Texas A&M loss. I was at that game and I was just as mad as Bo.

***Please note: Before I write my next few sentences. I am in no way, shape or form saying I still want Pelini here. Nor am I saying that I think Harvey Perlman is to blame for everything!***

Face it guys we got hosed in that game, and it was the only game in history where I feel the refs beat Nebraska(The Big 12 Championship game too, but not on the same level). After that game Bo flipped out and hardly anyone had his back other than some of the fans. This game never happens we may all be behind Pelini today. Who knows, because it did happen.

The fact he could never overcome that lose, tells me he is not mature enough to be a head coach at a Power 5 school. He never cared after that game, and it was all about "Bo" from then on.

Now on to the subject at hand. Banker is fully capable with the right personal, and I think our current team is just that.

This defense with be somewhere between 20--50 in both categories.

Last edited:

Dude, please site your source about 9 win teams that fired their coach. I'm betting we can count those teams on one hand and still have fingers left over.

Secondly, I really doubt many of those teams returned 16 starters and had a schedule which included, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and Iowa.

Those are 7 games vs. teams which very conceivably could finish with losing records.

The perceived tough AWAY game vs. Miami is against a team that went 6-7 last season. They are losing 12 starters from a 6-7 team including 9 guys who will get drafted. Of those 9 players, at least 5 are expected to go in the top 100 picks of the draft. There is no way in hell, a 6-7 team which loses 5 starters to the top 100 picks of the draft gets BETTER the following season.

The 2 best teams on the schedule will be played in Lincoln. The toughest road game of the year is at Minnesota.

And BYU, already with a terrible defense that can't stop a running game, will be playing in Lincoln with 10 experienced players missing from their 2-deep due to suspensions.

I too believe transitions are difficult. Historically, teams don't perform well with a new coach.

But this isn't a typical transition program.

When Bill Callahan arrived he had 5 scholarship offensive linemen who had actually played D1 football and none of them had ever pass blocked before. He had only college QB on the roster who had ever attempted a forward pass in college, and that guy had only thrown 14 of them. His most experienced receivers were Ross Pilkington and Grant Mulkey.

Big Red will be solid, and could be special if close games go to the good guys. It's folly to think that games against Miami, BYU, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, Northwestern, and MSU are going to be anything but competitive. Arguable that non are elite level this year, but odds are each will be one score games either way. Nebraska will be a tough out, but so will each of 7 listed.

This also shows that Pelini did care about defense at "one point" (2009 and 2010) prove it. What happened after Suh left really makes me wonder?

Carl Pelini and Marvin Sanders left.

Oh yeah, and NU changed conferences.

Face it guys we got hosed in that game, and it was the only game in history where I feel the refs beat Nebraska(The Big 12 Championship game too, but not on the same level). After that game Bo flipped out and hardly anyone had his back other than some of the fans. This game never happens we may all be behind Pelini today. Who knows, because it did happen.

Pelini was also publicly reprimanded by the chancellor for his reaction.

The chancellor patiently waited until he put the legendary AD out to pasture and found someone else to pull the trigger. He and the other lawyer in the AD probably thought they had that opportunity after the Deadspin leak. It just took a little longer is all.

Last edited:
Changed conferences matters how when discussing defense?

The "Chancellor" did what the "AD" refused to do. Osborne isn't a legendary AD either, far from it actually. The PeLLLLini cult is still alive, excuse after excuse after excuse.

So glad that piece of $@!t is gone.

C'mon...We all know a monkey could win nine games at Nebraska. We all know it because it was said ad nauseum here over the last two years. Riley is better than a monkey so I say ten or eleven wins.

Reactions: Gimmered
Changed conferences matters how when discussing defense?

The "Chancellor" did what the "AD" refused to do. Osborne isn't a legendary AD either, far from it actually. The PeLLLLini cult is still alive, excuse after excuse after excuse.

So glad that piece of shit is gone.

Recycled poster, still waiting.

I think BYU has a nice QB, but not nearly enough depth to win in Lincoln. Golden has never proven to be able to coach up the athletes in Miami. Nebraska has more talent that both Wisc and Minnesota, and Bankers D is designed to stop the run. Not ready to chalk MSU up as a home loss.

If I had to predict, I'd say 10-2. However, if Nebraska's not 5-0 heading in to the Wisconsin game, I'll be surprised. October night game in Lincoln... Tough for Wisconsin to walk away with a win. Then NU's got Minnesota, NW, and Purdue. What happens on Nov 7? Then what?

Riley said in an interview recently he goes into every season expecting to win every game. He's got the schedule and talent to do it this year.

The B1G sucks, especially when OSU, Michigan, and PSU are off the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT