ADVERTISEMENT

More Complaining from the SEC about Satellite Camps

Lets really level the playing field and have legislation that lets coaches go wherever they want to have camps. That way every school has a chance at the talent rich states.

Reactions: HuskerO
Lets really level the playing field and have legislation that lets coaches go wherever they want to have camps. That way every school has a chance at the talent rich states.
Agreed. How about the SEC (and ACC I believe) change their rules instead of everyone else having to change theirs to cater the SEC (and ACC)?

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky62
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to end badly for everyone except the SEC and ACC.

The SEC talks a lot about fairness, yet fairness only applies when it is in their best interest.

Satellite camps are a great idea and are the fair thing to do. Not every recruit can afford to fly across the country to visit a school even though they may have interest in a school thousands of miles away

Just another example of the SEC being "fair".

I'd like to see this lead to a bigger discussion on recruiting. If they are going to look at limiting satellite camps, they really need to limit over signing. I'd also like to see official visits for recruits and their parents available over the summer before their senior year.
Nailed it

I'd like to see this lead to a bigger discussion on recruiting. If they are going to look at limiting satellite camps, they really need to limit over signing. I'd also like to see official visits for recruits and their parents available over the summer before their senior year.

Did we over sign this year?

Did we over sign this year?
I believe we did. If I remember right, the Big 10 has a rule that says schools can over sign 3 players per year. IMO, that is too many. I'd like to see it dropped to 2 or 3 every 2 years or completely get rid of over signing.

I looked into this a little further. The SEC has been known to over sign, so I looked into 5 of their teams. They are Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. I looked into 5 teams from the Big 10, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Michigan and Ohio St. I looked into 4 teams from the Pac 12, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona St and UCLA. I looked into 3 teams from the Big 12, Oklahoma, TCU, and Baylor. I also looked into Florida State.

On average, the SEC teams signed 99 players per team over 4 years and 122 players per team over 5 years.
On average, the B1G teams signed 84 players per team over 4 years and 105 players per team over 5 years.
On Average, the PAC teams signed 94 players per team over 4 years and 114 players per team over 5 years.
On Average the Big 12 teams signed 95 players per team over 4 years and 116 players per team over 5 years.

There were a couple outliers. Ohio St recruited much closer to the SEC than the B1G. They signed 98 players in 4 years and 122 over 5 years. If you remove them from the other B1G teams averages, they drop to 81 players per team over 4 years and 101 players per team over 5 years.

Oregon recruited under the PAC average. They recruited 83 players over 4 years and 106 over 5 years. UCLA wasn't much higher where the 2 Arizona schools were right in line with all the SEC schools.

The biggest problem I have with the over signing is it hurts the students. When Alabama signs 101 players over 4 years and they can only have 85 on their roster, were do the other 16 players go? This doesn't count the redshirt seniors on the rosters either. Most of these players football scholarships are pulled and told to transfer away, either to a junior college or another school. Some are put on medical hardship, either way they are no longer on the team.

How does satellite camps hurt students? I don't see any way it does. It gives students access to more college coaches and learn from them at camp. It allows some students the chance to talk to a coach they may want to play for but cannot afford to make a trip to the coach's campus. The only people who have any drawback from these satellite camps are schools who reside in a recruiting hotbed. That's the only reason the SEC has a problem with it.

I believe we did. If I remember right, the Big 10 has a rule that says schools can over sign 3 players per year. IMO, that is too many. I'd like to see it dropped to 2 or 3 every 2 years or completely get rid of over signing.

I looked into this a little further. The SEC has been known to over sign, so I looked into 5 of their teams. They are Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. I looked into 5 teams from the Big 10, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Michigan and Ohio St. I looked into 4 teams from the Pac 12, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona St and UCLA. I looked into 3 teams from the Big 12, Oklahoma, TCU, and Baylor. I also looked into Florida State.

On average, the SEC teams signed 99 players per team over 4 years and 122 players per team over 5 years.
On average, the B1G teams signed 84 players per team over 4 years and 105 players per team over 5 years.
On Average, the PAC teams signed 94 players per team over 4 years and 114 players per team over 5 years.
On Average the Big 12 teams signed 95 players per team over 4 years and 116 players per team over 5 years.

There were a couple outliers. Ohio St recruited much closer to the SEC than the B1G. They signed 98 players in 4 years and 122 over 5 years. If you remove them from the other B1G teams averages, they drop to 81 players per team over 4 years and 101 players per team over 5 years.

Oregon recruited under the PAC average. They recruited 83 players over 4 years and 106 over 5 years. UCLA wasn't much higher where the 2 Arizona schools were right in line with all the SEC schools.

The biggest problem I have with the over signing is it hurts the students. When Alabama signs 101 players over 4 years and they can only have 85 on their roster, were do the other 16 players go? This doesn't count the redshirt seniors on the rosters either. Most of these players football scholarships are pulled and told to transfer away, either to a junior college or another school. Some are put on medical hardship, either way they are no longer on the team.

How does satellite camps hurt students? I don't see any way it does. It gives students access to more college coaches and learn from them at camp. It allows some students the chance to talk to a coach they may want to play for but cannot afford to make a trip to the coach's campus. The only people who have any drawback from these satellite camps are schools who reside in a recruiting hotbed. That's the only reason the SEC has a problem with it.

The year UGA signed 30 kids, the previous year UGA signed 17 kids and played the season with 68 kids on scholarship. In case you don't know, the SEC has the same rule about oversigning, 3 a year. The year we signed 30, we had 8 kids enter school in Jan that counted back to the previous class. It has taken 4 recruiting classes to get our numbers back to 85 on scholarship. The oversigning reputation comes from when Ole Miss signed 39 kids a couple of years. The SEC has the same rule the Big10 has if the Big10 can oversign by 3, we have the same 85 rule everyone else has.

When Nebraska signs 100 kids or ever how many they sign over 4 years, do some of them decide bigtime P5 football is not for them and transfer? Do none every get career ending injuries? UGA dismisses kids who can't follow rules, last year we sent 3 starters in the secondary packing because at UGA, failing the 3rd drug test gets you dismissed from school, a felony assault gets you dismissed from school. Auburn's starting qb the last 2 years was dismissed from UGA for stealing. Unlike some programs around the country, you can't follow rules you don't stay at UGA. Its easy to dismiss kids who don't play, but the last 3 years UGA has sent 5 starters on their way. Are the ones left angles, absolutely not, but they are failing multiple drug test, they aren't stealing and they aren't beating up their girlfriends.

dawg, Richt is a class act all the way and nobody here is saying otherwise. In fact he's to classy and honest, which is why he can't win the SEC. Love the guy personally though.

The year UGA signed 30 kids, the previous year UGA signed 17 kids and played the season with 68 kids on scholarship. In case you don't know, the SEC has the same rule about oversigning, 3 a year. The year we signed 30, we had 8 kids enter school in Jan that counted back to the previous class. It has taken 4 recruiting classes to get our numbers back to 85 on scholarship. The oversigning reputation comes from when Ole Miss signed 39 kids a couple of years. The SEC has the same rule the Big10 has if the Big10 can oversign by 3, we have the same 85 rule everyone else has.

When Nebraska signs 100 kids or ever how many they sign over 4 years, do some of them decide bigtime P5 football is not for them and transfer? Do none every get career ending injuries? UGA dismisses kids who can't follow rules, last year we sent 3 starters in the secondary packing because at UGA, failing the 3rd drug test gets you dismissed from school, a felony assault gets you dismissed from school. Auburn's starting qb the last 2 years was dismissed from UGA for stealing. Unlike some programs around the country, you can't follow rules you don't stay at UGA. Its easy to dismiss kids who don't play, but the last 3 years UGA has sent 5 starters on their way. Are the ones left angles, absolutely not, but they are failing multiple drug test, they aren't stealing and they aren't beating up their girlfriends.
I believe you are mistaken on the over signing rule. The Big 10 states a school can sign 3 over their 85 scholarship limit. That is what is considered a hard cap. The SEC can sign 25 every year. That is considered a soft cap. For example, if Minn has 63 returning scholarship players they could sign 25 according to the Big 10 rules. If they instead return 68 players, they could only sign 20. If Tenn returns 68 scholarship players, they could sign 25. If Tenn only signed 23 last year, they could sign 27 if 2 enroll early. If Tenn returns 80 scholarship players, they could still sign 25.

I know Richt has come out publicly against over signing. I'd like to see an NCAA rule putting a hard cap of 1 per year, so never have more than 86 scholarship players (returning scholarship players and recruits who submit their LOI).

This. He doesn't want a level playing field, he wants to maintain his current advantage.
YEP. just like when he started losing to hurry up spread teams like auburn and texas A&M. he started saying how it was a saftey concern for the players and the ncaa should not allow it. yea he has such a great concern for the players that alabama started running a hurry up offense last year.

ADVERTISEMENT