ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley interview on BYU radio show

The more I listen to this guy, the more I understand his style and like it. For the questions he gets asked 1000 times (why did you leave OSU, how are expectations different), he more or less has a standard answer (last chance to have an adventure, expectations are high wherever I coached). He doesn't act put off he was just asked the question the 1000th time, he just gives his standard response. When somebody asks a question that could be considered "difficult", like what are the weaknesses on your team right now, he says "That is really a good question" and launches into a 3-minute response that doesn't really answer the question. On this interview he did say they weren't deep at LB "for whatever reason", but didn't go into some other obvious concerns.

It will be interesting to see him at the mike after his first loss. One of the complaints I seem to recall from the OSU people who wanted him gone was he didn't seem very passionate about losses.

MR is going to find out Nebraska fan gets pretty passionate after a loss......lol

MR is going to find out Nebraska fan gets pretty passionate after a loss......lol

Maybe not so much anymore. Many are now numb and expect to lose 3.

f that.
pitchforks and fire after the first loss is the only way to send a message.

Maybe not so much anymore. Many are now numb and expect to lose 3.

f that.
pitchforks and fire after the first loss is the only way to send a message.
I'll add to this. Where I agree that the "passion" after a loss has faded a bit, I will add that Nebraska fans are still very passionate about HOW we lose.

I'll add to this. Where I agree that the "passion" after a loss has faded a bit, I will add that Nebraska fans are still very passionate about HOW we lose.

And the enormous difference right here. It's not losing nearly as much as how we've been accustomed to losing under jackass. The scary part is how many Huskers fans who can't tell the difference.

I could never decide which losses pissed me off more, the blowouts to teams of similar or slightly greater talent or the annual loss to a team we should have beaten by three touchdowns.

It's more about how we play in general, win or lose. Even many of the wins in the Pelini era were sloppy games that didn't inspire much hope for the future. Watching us play Purdue and Rutgers last year, you could tell we were heading for trouble when we played somebody decent.

Nebraska fans have seen a lot of good football over the years, they aren't going to accept a haphazard product.

Reactions: NSECTA4
Getting throttled in the CCG by nearly 40 points, that has to be the most embarrassing loss ever..

I do get the sense that behind the scenes, there is a serious side to Coach Riley, but he will get some pushback if he comes to the podium wearing smiles after a loss. And rightfully so. I don't think that is the appropriate time to be putting on a happy face. However, it seems silly to judge things that haven't even happened yet.

It's more about how we play in general, win or lose. Even many of the wins in the Pelini era were sloppy games that didn't inspire much hope for the future. Watching us play Purdue and Rutgers last year, you could tell we were heading for trouble when we played somebody decent.

Nebraska fans have seen a lot of good football over the years, they aren't going to accept a haphazard product.

Oh, I definitely agree with this. There were way too many nail biters that should have been comfortable wins. There were too many games where self inflicted wounds left the game in doubt well into the fourth quarter. Sometimes those were against teams with respectable names like Michigan or Penn State, but the games should have been comfortable Nebraska wins, not dogfights.

Oh, I definitely agree with this. There were way too many nail biters that should have been comfortable wins. There were too many games where self inflicted wounds left the game in doubt well into the fourth quarter. Sometimes those were against teams with respectable names like Michigan or Penn State, but the games should have been comfortable Nebraska wins, not dogfights.

I think most Nebraskans are, for lack of a better term, football savvy. They can sniff out a rotten product. Beating directional state university every year by a touchdown told most fans all they needed to know about the real quality of the team. I always hold out hope that a team will improve, but 95% of the time struggling like we did so often against vastly inferior opponents is very telling.

I think most Nebraskans are, for lack of a better term, football savvy. They can sniff out a rotten product. Beating directional state university every year by a touchdown told most fans all they needed to know about the real quality of the team. I always hold out hope that a team will improve, but 95% of the time struggling like we did so often against vastly inferior opponents is very telling.

I wonder how NU fans would react to home losses to Eastern Washington and Sacramento State?

I wonder how NU fans would react to home losses to Eastern Washington and Sacramento State?

We've been pretty darn lucky. Needed Ameer to save us last year, and I remember a Ball State game a few years back that we should have lost. Even though last years game against McNeese St. we pulled out, it was essentially a loss in the national view. Just let it play out.

One thing that stood out to me, was when Riley said whenever he talks to someone in the NU athletic department, he is always asked if there is anything else they can do to help. Where as he said he never got that Oregon State and it's a "breath of fresh air" to get so much support now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT