ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Derby pre-race

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
First off, great race! But the pre-race show...
barf_zps3htmut6q.gif

It was a great race. Loved in on my Panny! The pre-race was a waste of air time. Not for NBC. I'm sure they got killer ratings. It's just they talked little about the horses/jockies. They talked about fashion and the making of a mint julip. My wife recognized the couple as figure skaters (that's her thing). There were there to take in the scene more than the actual race. The dude had an outfit that was incredibly ugly. He had a hat made of a bouquet of roses (my guess). You can't make this stuff up. It was a good thing I was working out at that time. I sure wish I knew the actual race time so I could watch something different until the actual race. Maybe ESPN had something about the actual race leading up until race time. Did anyone do just that?

How much can you actually talk about a horse race? Most of the odds are based on each of the horses records along with their practice times. Fact of the matter is that only the hardest core horse racing fans will have ever seen these horses run before the Kentucky Derby. ESPN and the rest of sports media can't really talk a lot about it because no one there knows any more than Joe Blow sitting at home. As for the two skaters...yeah I wasn't a fan but at the same time, they were there doing the same thing that 99.9% of the people at the derby are there for....the atmosphere, to party, and just take it in.

As for the two skaters...yeah I wasn't a fan but at the same time, they were there doing the same thing that 99.9% of the people at the derby are there for....the atmosphere, to party, and just take it in.

True. However, I wasn't there to soak it in. I tuned in for the race. Wish they'd talk more about the horses in the 50 minutes leading up to the actual race.

How much can you actually talk about a horse race? Most of the odds are based on each of the horses records along with their practice times. Fact of the matter is that only the hardest core horse racing fans will have ever seen these horses run before the Kentucky Derby. ESPN and the rest of sports media can't really talk a lot about it because no one there knows any more than Joe Blow sitting at home. As for the two skaters...yeah I wasn't a fan but at the same time, they were there doing the same thing that 99.9% of the people at the derby are there for....the atmosphere, to party, and just take it in.

Same goes for many of my friends on Facebook. Posts were more about their Derby parties and the elaborate hats the women were wearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT