ADVERTISEMENT

I've heard it all, "thug" is now a racist term

Status
Not open for further replies.
The examiner has not stated the injuries were self-inflicted. What I've seen thus far is that there was a wound on his head that matched a bolt on the van. Whether or not his head got any help finding that bolt, we'll never know without video.

"The medical examiner's office declined to comment on this open investigation and said it does not release preliminary findings."

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...lice-who-arrested-him-prob.html#ixzz3YpNosi00
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

currently there are 74 of them at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

some interesting or not so interesting ones:

#9 Hugging a person with a thong on. By Erikas Mom

#22 A self-proclaimed title for angsty teenage wiggers who think not being allowed to smoke pot equates to parental persecution. By DukeSpaceDsico

#39 Middle-class wankers with no lives. White people who act black/shave their legs in order to get laid.

#49 Anyone or anything that is revolutionary, rebellious or goes against what is usually considered socially acceptable. pronounced Tee Hug.

1. People that use violence and behave poorly towards other people.
2. Another description of the average Republican.
3. George W. Bush.
By MrClean

#56 An abreveation for Tony Hawk's Underground 1 or 2

#74 True Hero Under God.

One of the problems with excessive political correctness is that it doesn't address intent. Any word used to describe a group or class of individuals can be racist, but it's about the intent or syntax. Thinking that the word "thug" is racist is painting with a broad brush.

On the other hand, dismissing the riots themselves as a "black" problem is missing the larger picture. The riots occur due to economic and sociological isolation and depression. We need to recognize this problem for what it is, and not just look away until it leaves the news cycle. In a vacuum this incident doesn't set off the firestorm, but the cycle of hopelessness ensures another firestorm will come.

Evidently the BPD's own commissioner also told WBAL that the second prisoner said Gray was "mostly quiet." Which is quite the contradiction.

Speaking of thugs, Mr. Thug Life himself had the perfect analogy for why these things happen. And almost 20 years later, it still stands as much as ever.

I'm 100% not going to get into a debate about the circumstances surrounding the Ferguson thing. I've heard so many versions of that, I don't have the slightest clue what to believe. You're smart enough to know that a lack of charges or even an acquittal is not always a guarantee that no wrong was done. The cops who arrested Rodney King got off. I'm sure you've seen the video. What about O.J. We all think the jury probably got that one right?

United States Attorney General involved with the LA cop (Rodney King) case? Was he involved in the OJ Simpson trial? Did the United States Attorney General fly out to Los Angeles in either case? Did he go on national TV regarding either case? Did the United States PRESIDENT at that time make a comment that Rodney King is a son he doesn't have (or whatever was said by POTUS regarding the Ferguson victim) and/or did he mention Nicole Simpson reminded him of a daughter!?!

Of course you're not going to debate it, you have no leg to stand on with your horrible comparisons.

I'm smart enough to know one thing; it only matters to national news outlets, national "leaders" and civil rights activists when a black male is a killed by a white cop.

Apples /= oranges.

One more thing regarding the apples to oranges, both the LA cop and OJ Simpson had a trial. The same can't be said for the Ferguson cop.

In case anyone is curious, yes, I believe both LA cases had the wrong verdict.

Bullshit threads like this are exactly why political topics should never be allowed.

Yes their thugs, and are the very people who get other black people stereotyped.

The minority that black men are in this country. They should not be so high in the crime statistics. Behavior has to be addressed as well, the cops and black people.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
There is a lot more to all these riots than a cop supposedly killing someone. There's been a lot of fuel building, now you have your spark.

Reactions: huskerj12
Well if we're being apples to apples about it, I would need WAY more background on prominent cases where cops have killed white guys, if it was deemed necessary, and what ultimately happened to the cops as a result. A lot of the rage is the feeling that the cops are using excessive force and people are then making excuses for them. It's the lack of accountability.

I saw one analysis of 2003-2009 stats where actually more white guys died "in custody" but I didn't dig super deep into it to be clear on what all the definitions were. If a homicide implied that the cops had killed the guy or if it would count if he got jumped in jail, etc.

TBH I couldn't name a white guy who was killed by the cops.
The reason you cannot name a white guy who was killed by the cops is because a majority of white people have not subscribed to victimhood. Unfortunately, a large number of black people have. Their leadership has done them a complete disservice by claiming they are victims of everything. When's the last time a US President had a press conference to discuss a racial issue? I don't remember Bill Clinton having a press conference on the injustice that was seen in the O.J. Simpson case. Victimhood is starting to grow in the white community as well – ex. poor white trash (oops, will that be racially offensive - wait, no it's just describing a white person, never mind ).

Why is it all riots happen in Conservative cities? Damn extremist Tea Partiers tear'n it up!

It appears the economic cycle is: Libs burn the bitch down, conservatives go to work rebuilding, Libs tax them for unemployment, cash check, repeat.

Now that's sustainabilty in action.

Pants up, don't loot.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Wouldn't be the first time that's been BPD's story. This was my favorite line from the article:

"University of South Carolina professor Geoffrey Alpert, an expert in police force, said rough rides are also known as "screen tests." When police cars or vans had screens between the front and back seats, drivers would stop short — 'to avoid a dog' — sending a handcuffed prisoner flying face-first into the screen, he said.

'Cops used to laugh about it. That was big in the 1980s and 1990s,' Alpert said. 'It was obviously against policy and illegal. I remember in some trainings that police chiefs would say, 'You'd better bring the damn dog you were trying to avoid if you come in with a prisoner with such an injury.'"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...tim-of-Baltimore-s-rough-rides-in-police-vans

I can honestly say I've never hit the brakes for an imiginary dog, but I've thought about a a few times.

It is also not.uncommon for people who have been arrested and placed in the back of cruisers with plastic or metal barriers, to intentionally slam their heads into them. Most times it is a tactic to injure themselves to require the officer's to take them to a hospital for treatment. It is their hope this will keep them from going to jail.

Sometimes people will do it because they are truly trying to seriously injure themselves, beyond forehead cuts.

One time I arrested a guy for beating his wife. He wouldn't cooperate to allow the seatbelt to go on. Then he slammed his head into the barrier 3 times. I was able to get the cruiser camera started just in time for the third slam, and him saying, "Look you beat the shit out of me!" as blood poured down his forehead. So thy are also used as a way to inflict an injury in order to file a false complaint.

Now slamming your head hard enough to sever a spine? I don't think that would be possible without an already injured spine, but doctors would have to say if that is possible.

OK there are two things that constantly come up on social media whenever these (Baltimore, Ferguson, etc.) situations occur that I find particularly infuriating.

1) "You don't see white people rioting when a black person hurts a white person!!" "Where are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton when a black person hurts a white person?!" "Why don't they riot over black on black crime?!"

Any variation on this theme is f******g ridiculous and shows an absolute lack of compassion. Let me lay it out as simply as I can. People aren't protesting and rioting because a white person killed a black person. They're protesting and rioting because those black people are killed and the killers seem to be completely immune from prosecution. The system says that the people committing these killings didn't do anything wrong even though their actions resulted in the deaths of unarmed, often outnumbered young black men. When black people commit violent crimes against whites or other blacks you can believe that black assailant is going to trial and more than likely to jail; sometimes whether or not they're actually guilty. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson don't have to speak out about injustice for people that the system actually endeavors to defend.

Let's look at it another way. In June 2011 in Jackson, MS a group of white teens in a truck ran over and killed a black man. There's surveillance video of the crime. It's entirely possible that you may not have heard about it. There were no huge riots or violent protests. No endlessly looped clips of Sharpton and Jackson getting "uppity" on the evening news. You know why? Because the teens that committed the murder were ARRESTED, TRIED and CONVICTED. It's called DUE PROCESS. That's what the black community wants. That's what we deserve. And to anybody that truly believes the viewpoint I mentioned above, I'll meet you halfway. Show me a case were 7-8 black guys jumped on one white guy, mortally wounded that person, tossed him in the back of a vehicle without medical attention, and were summarily released without so much as a "Don't do it again" after that victim died. Bonus points if you can find one that has video of the incident.

2) "Did you see his criminal record?" "Don't run from the cops!" "Shoulda just done what the cops said."

The old "He had it comin'!" rationale. Listen, I get it. Somewhere deep down beneath the thick, calloused, unfeeling exterior that this sentiment represents there's the seed of belief that we should be accountable for the agency we have in our own lives. I constantly bristle at the avalanche of agenda-based dialogue that uses convenient rhetoric to suggest that people should be able to do any- and everything they want to do without consequences. That said, I've seen the stories about the arrest records of these victims (Brown, Garner, Gray, etc.) and I didn't see any death penalty offenses. Admittedly I'm a bit of a skimmer so maybe I missed something and if anybody wants to correct me I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. Otherwise I doubt that anyone who expresses these sentiments would be dismissive if someone they know and care for was caught holding a few joints and got the death penalty. "Shouldn't have been committing that crime. That's what he gets. I don't care what happens to his kids it's his fault." Last i heard possession wasn't a death penalty offense. If somebody resists arrest, maybe they get a little touched up, okay, not a death penalty offense.

A little compassion goes a long way.

We have bigger problems than talking about whether thug is racist and being politically correct. And I feel for people like the mother who had to beat the crap out of her kid...she's single, has no job, and certainly doesn't want that. But she's stuck in a city run by liberals who want to keep her as a victim so she can vote for their false promises and grow in power.
Watch this video. It's about time people wake up and stand up to the politically correct bullies.

Why is it all riots happen in Conservative cities? Damn extremist Tea Partiers tear'n it up!

It appears the economic cycle is: Libs burn the bitch down, conservatives go to work rebuilding, Libs tax them for unemployment, cash check, repeat.

Now that's sustainabilty in action.

Pants up, don't loot.

Your theory is working well in Kansas right now.

"People aren't protesting and rioting because a white person killed a black person" MWULF

Yes they are. If you can't even admit the most basic common denominator among all these riots and unrest, then you lost me and everyone else with your windy response. As soon as a black hears about another black being killed by a white guy, it's game on. Screw any due diligence as to why it happened or what the black guy's part in it was. It's game on and Sharpton come on down.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
"People aren't protesting and rioting because a white person killed a black person" MWULF

Yes they are. If you can't even admit the most basic common denominator among all these riots and unrest, then you lost me and everyone else with your windy response. As soon as a black hears about another black being killed by a white guy, it's game on. Screw any due diligence as to why it happened or what the black guy's part in it was. It's game on and Sharpton come on down.

I can admit this was the final match that lit the fuse (murder) that set them off, but the common denominator to me is the killing of black men by the same people that are tasked to protect and serve. It sucks because I would imagine the great majority of police are very very good at what they do, but the 1% that arent are really screwing it up for the good ones. The fact that there have been multiple incidents is what's scary.

Side note...I really like discussing this stuff here and we have made it 70 posts deep without any name calling for the most part.

The reason you cannot name a white guy who was killed by the cops is because a majority of white people have not subscribed to victimhood. Unfortunately, a large number of black people have. Their leadership has done them a complete disservice by claiming they are victims of everything. When's the last time a US President had a press conference to discuss a racial issue? I don't remember Bill Clinton having a press conference on the injustice that was seen in the O.J. Simpson case. Victimhood is starting to grow in the white community as well – ex. poor white trash (oops, will that be racially offensive - wait, no it's just describing a white person, never mind ).

You can absolutely find the victim mentality alive and well among white people. See the "reverse discrimination" cries that come about any time concepts like affirmative action are brought up, or even the "attack on Christianity" narrative that some embrace today.

How about that rancher who was in the land/tax dispute and a bunch of white dudes were all set to have an armed uprising about it to fight "government tyranny" or whatever? Dude was clearly breaking the law, but look at the white militia call him a victim. But that's not a racial issue. Why? Because we treat white people as individuals, but when it's a minority group we like to make broad statements like, "What you need to do is shut up and worry about 'black-on-black crime." That's just a little example of how it's an easier road to be white. When a famous white guy gets arrested, your coworker doesn't come to you seeking your representative opinion as a white dude and say, "So...what do you think about that whole Phil Specter thing?"

The reason you don't see a lot of white people crying about the system is this: When you're winning, you don't complain about the officiating. White people are the dominant culture in the U.S. They have the wealth and power.

People have this skewed idea that just because you personally would not go out and do overtly racist things to another person, that means nobody else really does, either. We have this "prove it" mentality about racism, like if you don't see it happen it's not real. That's weird to me, we don't do it with any other crime. You wouldn't drag a dog behind your car or molest children either, but you don't go around saying the kids and the dogs need to drop this "victim mentality."

I can admit this was the final match that lit the fuse (murder) that set them off, but the common denominator to me is the killing of black men by the same people that are tasked to protect and serve. It sucks because I would imagine the great majority of police are very very good at what they do, but the 1% that arent are really screwing it up for the good ones. The fact that there have been multiple incidents is what's scary.

Side note...I really like discussing this stuff here and we have made it 70 posts deep without any name calling for the most part.

Telling you, none of this would be happening if the police were having the same laws they enforce applied to them. Is there a racial undercurrent? Definitely. But it's more about the fact that the cop so often gets cleared of wrongdoing and is right back in that patrol car even when it's very clear that they went WAY beyond just arresting the guy like they're supposed to do.

It surprises me that the good cops won't throw these guys out. They desperately need a good relationship with the community to be more effective at their job, and covering up for dudes who are just out looking to bash some skulls undermines the efforts of all the cops out there doing it right.

Six officers charged in Gray's death, let's see how many - if any - are tried in the court of law. (Just like both LA cases previously referenced). Now it's an apples to apples comparison as far as deaths and charges, unlike the Ferguson officer that wasn't charged after lengthy scrutiny involving the POTUS and United State Attorney General.

Six officers charged in Gray's death, let's see how many - if any - are tried in the court of law. (Just like both LA cases previously referenced). Now it's an apples to apples comparison as far as deaths and charges, unlike the Ferguson officer that wasn't charged after lengthy scrutiny involving the POTUS and United State Attorney General.

You have an opinion you're willing to share about the more similar of those L.A. cases?

You have an opinion you're willing to share about the more similar of those L.A. cases?

Clarification is needed, are you talking about...

A famous black man killing a white woman or four white cops getting charged and tried for brutally beating (not killing) a black man?

Or, are you talking about the LA riots that killed 50 or so innocent people while injuring well over 1,500 innocent people?

People have this skewed idea that just because you personally would not go out and do overtly racist things to another person, that means nobody else really does, either. We have this "prove it" mentality about racism, like if you don't see it happen it's not real. That's weird to me, we don't do it with any other crime. You wouldn't drag a dog behind your car or molest children either, but you don't go around saying the kids and the dogs need to drop this "victim mentality."

No, people don't. Of course someone should have to prove racism; you really think it should be assumed? If you think that, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. When something as serious and emotionally charging as racism is assumed, you get people killed, businesses burned, and parts of cities destroyed, all under false and hateful pretenses. And what is weird to me is your analogy of child molestation and animal cruelty to this topic. My goodness man.

Can you imagine how hard it will now be to maintain order in Baltimore or any major city?

Every arrest will result in screams for medical attention.

Cops will be tentative, may even turn a blind eye. Criminals will be more aggressive than ever.

This will have far ranging effects, race relations may never heal.

Clarification is needed, are you talking about...

A famous black man killing a white woman or four white cops getting charged and tried for brutally beating (not killing) a black man?

Or, are you talking about the LA riots that killed 50 or so innocent people while injuring well over 1,500 innocent people?

I think I can take my answer from between the lines.

No, people don't. Of course someone should have to prove racism; you really think it should be assumed? If you think that, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. When something as serious and emotionally charging as racism is assumed, you get people killed, businesses burned, and parts of cities destroyed, all under false and hateful pretenses. And what is weird to me is your analogy of child molestation and animal cruelty to this topic. My goodness man.

The choice is not between "everything is about race" and "nothing is about race." What I'm saying is sometimes it's about race. And it's next to impossible for us as white guys to know what that's like because we don't get discriminated against. Once in a while somebody will call us "cracker" or "white boy" or whatever but we don't really care because we have that status as the dominant culture. It's like how you wouldn't get mad if somebody called you out for being good in bed. You're like, "Yep, that is accurate. I do not take offense."

So it's a lot of work for us to imagine what it's like to be in a position where people DO use your race against you in ways that really, actually make your life worse.

Unlawful arrest, killing a man in police custody, out of control government agency with a super powerful union putting up barriers to protect themselves from prosecution, this is the type of government overreach that should be shouted down by conservatives and personal rights advocates everywhere.

The situation in Baltimore, and likely many larger American cities, just became far more dangerous. Now that they are indicted, the guilt or innocence of the officers becomes secondary to the verdict. If there is no guilty verdict, things will erupt. Our message board certainly has a conservative lean to it, but I challenge those who think this is a liberal issue, or wish to frame it that way, to walk a mile in the shoes of the community in question. This is certainly a political issue, but is primarily an economic issue. If the situation is a powder keg, we need to ask ourselves why.

Unlawful arrest, killing a man in police custody, out of control government agency with a super powerful union putting up barriers to protect themselves from prosecution, this is the type of government overreach that should be shouted down by conservatives and personal rights advocates everywhere.

You are correct about government overreach. Conservatives and Libertarians should be shouting it down (as opposed to setting buildings on fire). However, the way you framed your post speaks volumes. You state "killing a man in police custody . . ." A man died while in police custody, there is no proof that he was killed (not yet). So, are we to assume that he was killed because of the color of the skin of the people involved? Some on here would suggest we do that, but doing so is, wait for it, prejudiced and racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT