ADVERTISEMENT

I've heard it all, "thug" is now a racist term

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think considering the term "thug" racist, is in itself racist.

How about "Bad Guy" or "Naughty Person"?

The more I think about it, though, we don't really know if garden variety rioters are either bad or naughty deep down.

Maybe they're great people that like to burn things and loot.

This has been out there in the media for years. (Time or newsweek came out with this story 2 years ago) This is ALL about Political correctness & shutting down free speech.

Lol... The word "thug" reminds me of my grandfather. When I was a kid ( in the 70's) my grandpa used that word for anyone who broke the law.... Regardless of race.

For some people, they say "thug" and for them that doesn't imply any description of what the "thug" in question looks like. For others, they say thug because they know they'd get in trouble if they used a more established epithet.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of how often the term is used in coverage of rioting like L.A., Ferguson, Baltimore vs say...when hockey fans start burning things and flipping cars after a Stanley Cup win.

Last edited:
That would be an interesting stat.

I'm old and still use the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Thug: brutal ruffian, assassin.
Ex: "the Mob boss sent his thugs to collect from those slow to pay their debts."

For some people, they say "thug" and for them that doesn't imply any description of what the "thug" in question looks like. For others, they say thug because they know they'd get in trouble if they used a more established epithet.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of how often the term is used in coverage of rioting like L.A., Ferguson, Baltimore vs say...when hockey fans start burning things and flipping cars after a Stanley Cup win.

If it were soccer they would have been called 'Hooligans.' Which I find racist. Hooligans are always white, drunk and Eurotrash.

There are some people who do use "thug" as basically a code word to replace other words that aren't acceptable. It can and has been used in a racial way.

But "thug" is a perfectly acceptable word to use in the context of describing people in Baltimore who burned down buildings and looted shops. Those people are thugs based on the word in its common usage. It's a fine, descriptive and in this case accurate word.

And detention at school is now "team time" and the naughty chair to the side is now the "safe seat". All of it makes me puke.

And detention at school is now "team time" and the naughty chair to the side is now the "safe seat". All of it makes me puke.

Lite, we got a 9th hour when we p.o. a teacher.
When we goofed off in class, there was a high top stool placed in a corner, the offender had to sit in the "dunce chair with a cone shaped hat with the inscription "DUNCE".

I told you guys I was old!

I agree with everything said in this thread. That's why I'm puzzled when the same term is used for someone like Richard Sherman.

Reactions: huskerj12
That would be an interesting stat.

I'm old and still use the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Thug: brutal ruffian, assassin.
Ex: "the Mob boss sent his thugs to collect from those slow to pay their debts."

The etymology of "thug" stems from the 11th or 12th century in India. I believe there was a group called "thuggies." It was a "gang" that would befriend travelers then murder and steal from them. So, technically, we should use it sparingly when dealing with our Indian brothers and sisters...

250px-Group_of_Thugs.gif

I used to watch Sabu, the Jungle Boy!

You should use an apples to apples comparison.

Oh wait, never mind, white people rarely if ever riot when a cop kills a white person.

You should use an apples to apples comparison.

Oh wait, never mind, white people rarely if ever riot when a cop kills a white person.
Well if we're being apples to apples about it, I would need WAY more background on prominent cases where cops have killed white guys, if it was deemed necessary, and what ultimately happened to the cops as a result. A lot of the rage is the feeling that the cops are using excessive force and people are then making excuses for them. It's the lack of accountability.

I saw one analysis of 2003-2009 stats where actually more white guys died "in custody" but I didn't dig super deep into it to be clear on what all the definitions were. If a homicide implied that the cops had killed the guy or if it would count if he got jumped in jail, etc.

TBH I couldn't name a white guy who was killed by the cops.

Lite, we got a 9th hour when we p.o. a teacher.
When we goofed off in class, there was a high top stool placed in a corner, the offender had to sit in the "dunce chair with a cone shaped hat with the inscription "DUNCE".

I told you guys I was old!

I'm not even that old. Yet. But when I was in third grade me and my buddies thought it would be a good idea, for some reason, after we got off the bus to run to the other side of the block, lay in the long grass, and throw rocks at the bus as it went by. I really can't remember exactly why we wanted to do that. I don't remember hating the bus.

Anyway, we executed the plan to perfection. Except we hadn't planned our escape which didn't materialize.

Next day at school, me and my 3 buddies were brought up to the front of the class at 9 AM. The principal came in with a board that had large holes drilled in it. I hadn't ever seen one before but it became real apparent real quick what was going to happen when buddy 1 was bent over and got 5 whacks on his ass with the board. I was number 3 in line out of the 4 of us.

And let me tell you something -- there's nothing quite like getting your behind beat, trying not to cry -- and failing -- in front of all your classmates to set you on the straight and narrow.

Suffice it to say that there was never a repeat of anything similar out of the 4 of us for a long, long while. Unlike the results obtained by the "enlightened" folks running the school district that my wife now teaches in.

Well if we're being apples to apples about it, I would need WAY more background on prominent cases where cops have killed white guys, if it was deemed necessary, and what ultimately happened to the cops as a result. A lot of the rage is the feeling that the cops are using excessive force and people are then making excuses for them. It's the lack of accountability.

I saw one analysis of 2003-2009 stats where actually more white guys died "in custody" but I didn't dig super deep into it to be clear on what all the definitions were. If a homicide implied that the cops had killed the guy or if it would count if he got jumped in jail, etc.

TBH I couldn't name a white guy who was killed by the cops.

What makes it a prominent case? Your opinion, mine, local or national TV or is it when a black person is killed by a white cop (and not a white person killed by a black cop)? Or is it like Ferguon, where the cop was found guilty by the public but Missouri and the US have yet to file any charges? Or I should say to my knowledge. Matter of fact, the last I knew, he was cleared of any wrongdoing.

For me, death in custody is only part of the discussion.

Last edited:
I'm not even that old. Yet. But when I was in third grade me and my buddies thought it would be a good idea, for some reason, after we got off the bus to run to the other side of the block, lay in the long grass, and throw rocks at the bus as it went by. I really can't remember exactly why we wanted to do that. I don't remember hating the bus.

Anyway, we executed the plan to perfection. Except we hadn't planned our escape which didn't materialize.

Next day at school, me and my 3 buddies were brought up to the front of the class at 9 AM. The principal came in with a board that had large holes drilled in it. I hadn't ever seen one before but it became real apparent real quick what was going to happen when buddy 1 was bent over and got 5 whacks on his ass with the board. I was number 3 in line out of the 4 of us.

And let me tell you something -- there's nothing quite like getting your behind beat, trying not to cry -- and failing -- in front of all your classmates to set you on the straight and narrow.

Suffice it to say that there was never a repeat of anything similar out of the 4 of us for a long, long while. Unlike the results obtained by the "enlightened" folks running the school district that my wife now teaches in.

gw2kpro, in my case the beatings started in '53. Administered by the good Felican Sisters. Continued to May of '62.

Went to public high school. The swats started in Sept of '62 & continued through May of '66. My ass looked like hot-cross buns. Of course, the nuns worked you all over, body shots, head, leg kicks, didn't matter! :)

I heard someone on tv recently say that "thug" is the new N-word. Which is completely ridiculous as people above have posted the word has no historic connection to black people. All of this politcal correctness is a bunch of crap, spread by politicians to promote their big government agenda.

What makes it a prominent case? Your opinion, mine, local or national TV or is it when a black person is killed by a white cop (and not a white person killed by a black cop)? Or is it like Ferguon, where the cop was found guilty by the public but Missouri and the US have yet to file any charges? Or I should say to my knowledge. Matter of fact, the last I knew, he was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Sure glad there isn't looting and burning of businesses every time a black person kills another black person or we wouldn't have a building standing.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
I utilize the term "oxygen thief" when referencing someone associated with the P.O.S. Network. This term never congers up skin color for me.

I'm 100% not going to get into a debate about the circumstances surrounding the Ferguson thing. I've heard so many versions of that, I don't have the slightest clue what to believe. You're smart enough to know that a lack of charges or even an acquittal is not always a guarantee that no wrong was done. The cops who arrested Rodney King got off. I'm sure you've seen the video. What about O.J. We all think the jury probably got that one right?

As a society we're pretty much fine with it if somebody who has it comin' gets killed. A few will waste their tears mourning scumbags, but not society as a whole. People don't riot for every stupid little thing. But it's that old thing where if you poke somebody in the chest long enough, they'll probably take a swing at you.

Nothing is all one way or another. Some cops are good dudes. Some cops, evidently, are the Grand Dragon for their local KKK. Stick around for the 1:15 mark of this video. Guy in the video is an interesting cat, basically his thing is that he goes around and meets Klan members and gets to know them and becomes friends with a lot of them. Hence, from knowing him, a lot of them have turned in their robes.

There are some people who do use "thug" as basically a code word to replace other words that aren't acceptable. It can and has been used in a racial way.

But "thug" is a perfectly acceptable word to use in the context of describing people in Baltimore who burned down buildings and looted shops. Those people are thugs based on the word in its common usage. It's a fine, descriptive and in this case accurate word.

This is how I see it as well. Context determines everything. Like 'thug', 'boy' shouldn't have any racial connotations either as a term...but there are some ways that it can be used that are very much racial in nature.

My initial reaction was what is wrong with these people and the term thug seemed to describe what I was thinking ...especially the people that were slicing the fire hoses...I mean who fights the fire dept...I can also see where some can see the word thug as another way to say the N word...I am really trying to see both sides of this issue and if protesting and rioting is the only way to be heard then so be it...broken windows and stores can be rebuilt...human spines cannot

This is how I see it as well. Context determines everything. Like 'thug', 'boy' shouldn't have any racial connotations either as a term...but there are some ways that it can be used that are very much racial in nature.

I had to be taught about "boy." I had no idea that was a thing until somebody told me.

It's all in the intention behind the usage. You can pick any word that means nothing and watch it turn into an insult. Go up to some guy in a bar and start calling him a "bottle cap" over and over and see if he gets pissed off. To my knowledge that doesn't mean anything at all, but just make it clear to him that whatever that means, you don't think it's a compliment. Keep it up long enough and I bet you wind up in a fight.

Starting to come out that these "thugs" rioted over some criminal that bashed his own head against the van killing himself.

Come one you dont believe the narrative that his actions killed himself.....did he break his own spine and crush his own voice box too....the police are definitely not innocent here

Reactions: huskerj12
Just going off what the medical examiner has given us so far. #PoliceLivesMatter

Wouldn't be the first time that's been BPD's story. This was my favorite line from the article:

"University of South Carolina professor Geoffrey Alpert, an expert in police force, said rough rides are also known as "screen tests." When police cars or vans had screens between the front and back seats, drivers would stop short — 'to avoid a dog' — sending a handcuffed prisoner flying face-first into the screen, he said.

'Cops used to laugh about it. That was big in the 1980s and 1990s,' Alpert said. 'It was obviously against policy and illegal. I remember in some trainings that police chiefs would say, 'You'd better bring the damn dog you were trying to avoid if you come in with a prisoner with such an injury.'"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...tim-of-Baltimore-s-rough-rides-in-police-vans

Wouldn't be the first time that's been BPD's story. This was my favorite line from the article:

"University of South Carolina professor Geoffrey Alpert, an expert in police force, said rough rides are also known as "screen tests." When police cars or vans had screens between the front and back seats, drivers would stop short — 'to avoid a dog' — sending a handcuffed prisoner flying face-first into the screen, he said.

'Cops used to laugh about it. That was big in the 1980s and 1990s,' Alpert said. 'It was obviously against policy and illegal. I remember in some trainings that police chiefs would say, 'You'd better bring the damn dog you were trying to avoid if you come in with a prisoner with such an injury.'"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/29/1381184/-Freddie-Gray-only-the-latest-victim-of-Baltimore-s-rough-rides-in-police-vans

Perhaps the medical examiner is wrong...perhaps the second prisoner is wrong. Maybe, it's plausible. Until it's proven.....#VanDriversLivesMatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT