ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a "Grass" problem at UNL?

I can't imagine it is any worse than when I was in school ('03-'07) and not any worse than when my parents were in school.

It seems recently that several players have been caught recently with or using Weed! Does UNL have a problem?

I doubt it is any worse than on any team at any college in the country. Look at the factors that got Tolbert busted. Thinking was not part of his evening.

I can't imagine it is any worse than when I was in school ('03-'07) and not any worse than when my parents were in school.

Yup, I was there right after you and it was exactly the same. Some college kids smoke weed, some don't, most people just don't really care. I didn't smoke, but the dorms sometimes smelled like weed, that's for sure.

First of all, weed isnt a problem. Check your facts. It destroys cancer cells, it restores brain cells, its non-addictive, its an anti depressant, you cannot overdose on it and it has never caused a death, ever. Alcohol kills brain cells, causes cancer, its a depressant, you can overdose on it, its addictive and kills 1 million people a year. One is legal and one is not. I think thats the problem you are looking for.

Well......weed is a problem for this kid. This is the second incident. He is at risk of losing an educational scholarship. And....if he is booted off the team.....other programs may think he is too much of a risk. SO....you dont think weed is a problem in this kids life?

No more a problem at Nebraska than anywhere else. Probably less of one (cf. Oregon). Not sure why it's seen as a problem at all though.

Well......weed is a problem for this kid. This is the second incident. He is at risk of losing an educational scholarship. And....if he is booted off the team.....other programs may think he is too much of a risk. SO....you dont think weed is a problem in this kids life?

No, its not. This is a "Following the rules" matter and it just happened to involve weed. It could have benn anything minor. Curfew, drinking, being late for meetings, etc. This is a choice thing with him, nothing more.

I like the if you think weed is a problem response. It can be and is an addiction to those who feel the need to blaze up at all hours of the night or before the biggest job interview you will have. No different than those who have gambling or drinking problems.

First of all, weed isnt a problem. Check your facts. It destroys cancer cells, it restores brain cells, its non-addictive, its an anti depressant, you cannot overdose on it and it has never caused a death, ever. Alcohol kills brain cells, causes cancer, its a depressant, you can overdose on it, its addictive and kills 1 million people a year. One is legal and one is not. I think thats the problem you are looking for.

First of all, it's illegal in the state of Nebraska and federally. Second of all, it's illegal to use as an athlete under NCAA guidelines. Third of all, he was just caught with it not too long ago, see first and second.

Your second to last sentence is the only aspect I can agree with, without question. It'll all be moot either way the next few years as I believe it'll eventually be legal in pretty much every state. That still doesn't mean the NCAA will adopt the change when it happens.

As for the rest of your opinion about marijuana, it's just that, an opinion. I'll leave you one link, for now....

http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/

First of all, it's illegal in the state of Nebraska and federally. Second of all, it's illegal to use as an athlete under NCAA guidelines. Third of all, he was just caught with it not too long ago, see first and second.

Your second to last sentence is the only aspect I can agree with, without question. It'll all be moot either way the next few years as I believe it'll eventually be legal in pretty much every state. That still doesn't mean the NCAA will adopt the change when it happens.

As for the rest of your opinion about marijuana, it's just that, an opinion. I'll leave you one link, for now....

http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/

Arguing with Stoners is a no win. Just raise the minimum wage and they will head back to the couch.

That link kinda backs my opinion. Let me explain. People paid a university to find something negative about marijuana and deaths. So now they did some digging and found a guy with a heart problem and someone else with additional addictions in which they blame pot, maybe. So now there could be 2. Ok, you win. 2 people kinda were killed by pot vs. the millions that alcohol kills, for sure. Its justified.......

That link kinda backs my opinion. Let me explain. People paid a university to find something negative about marijuana and deaths. So now they did some digging and found a guy with a heart problem and someone else with additional addictions in which they blame pot, maybe. So now there could be 2. Ok, you win. 2 people kinda were killed by pot vs. the millions that alcohol kills, for sure. Its justified.......

I will post more articles if you want me to further prove your opinion is inaccurate or full of hyperbole. There's also (research) articles available whether it's addictive or not.

Your call...

"Marijuana is not addictive" RollingLaughSmokino_O I got no problem with states legalizing it. But stop. Just stop with this B.S.

I think the average person who never smokes pot would be shocked at just how many people do. Personally I could care.less. I've probably let dozens upon dozens of people go and not charged them with possession of small amounts. It is hardly worth the paperwork and time for what people ultimately get sentenced to. It won't take long for other states to follow Colorado and Oregon, becuase they will get tired of seeing potential tax dollars leave their States.

"Marijuana is not addictive" RollingLaughSmokino_O I got no problem with states legalizing it. But stop. Just stop with this B.S.
No, you just stop. Marijuana isn't addictive at all. People like randy Gregory and josh Gordon could easily stop if they wanted to, especially if they want to make MILLIONS of dollars... Since it's not addictive, evidently, they just don't want all that money.

No, because you are correct. Even the positives for pot are exaggerated just like the negatives and are incorrect just as much. Not that passionate to go any further........
I know you may not want to go any further but if pot is so non addictive, why can't Gordon and Gregory and Ricky Williams and others stop smoking it, especially with millions of dollars on the line? Until you said it I had never heard that pot isn't addictive, and frankly, I'm having trouble believing it to be true...

It seems recently that several players have been caught recently with or using Weed! Does UNL have a problem?

YES! The weed at UNL pales in comparison to the quality of the weed available at places like Boulder and Washington. this is a real problem folks.......jk. I wouldn't actually know, but I speculate that that's the case.

from American Lung Association:

Bottom Line
Smoking marijuana clearly damages the human lung, and regular use leads to chronic bronchitis and can cause an immune-compromised person to be more susceptible to lung infections. No one should be exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke. Due to the risks it poses to lung health, the American Lung Association strongly cautions the public against smoking marijuana as well as tobacco products. More research is needed into the effects of marijuana on health, especially lung health.

just some "food for thought"

admit, not sure what they consider "regular" use.

btw, i did not insert emoticon. not sure how it got there!---but, i'll leave it anyway.

If it makes you happy and you still perform at a level that justifies your multimillion salary...who cares? The harmfulness/ addictiveness is clearly debatable, but when were those two factors cause to have something illegal in America?

Hundreds of millions of tax dollars are wasted every year on prosecuting weed related offenses...for what? Weed is no worse than tobacco or alcohol.

Hundreds of millions of tax dollars are wasted every year on prosecuting weed related offenses...for what? Weed is no worse than tobacco or alcohol.

Right now it's worse as there is no federal revenue and majority of the states fall in the same no revenue category. Once that is changed, I can agree with the bold but not until then.

I kind of LOL when I read the link too. Kind of like the poster just wanted to win an argument and thought that it would lay substantial evidence for his claim. 1 person died smoking pot because they had a bad heart. That's almost a no-brainer and not necessarily tied to cannabis its self. The same person could have died on a rollercoaster, skydiving, during sex, etc.

HTO is right unfortunately, even if you don't believe pot is a problem, its still illegal by Federal & NE law and by the NCAA regulations. Even if something doesn't seem fair and its still a law.

Bottom line is JT has got to be smarter about this. If you think JT is the only football player blazing, your crazy. If you think Randy wasn't smoking until he finished his career at NU, your crazy. A ton of student athletes smoke. JT just needs to learn how to hide it a little better.

I know you may not want to go any further but if pot is so non addictive, why can't Gordon and Gregory and Ricky Williams and others stop smoking it, especially with millions of dollars on the line? Until you said it I had never heard that pot isn't addictive, and frankly, I'm having trouble believing it to be true...

Everything can be mentally addictive. Your arguing apples and oranges here. Go talk to a heroin addict, a crack addict, a meth addict, or an alcoholic. Then go talk to a middle aged housewife that drinks 35 diet cokes a day. No doubt that those "diet cokes" are addictive to her lifestyle but you will see a big difference in mental and physical addiction. BIG difference.

People who are mentally addictive to things tend not to want to quit and that is their problem. It's all in their head, obviously. Now go talk to a crack head. Listen to how badly a lot of those people want to stop but their body (not necessarily their mind) wont let them. Physical addiction is a very sad state.

I'd argue that half of these people on this message board are mentally addictive to this message board. They are literally on here everyday writing. Hell I was that way for a while. I am trying to tone it down a bit. I wouldn't put those types of people in the same category as a heroin addict.

PS Ricky did stop smoking and went back into the league. He also said he only smoked because it was the only thing that would stop his migraine headaches which many people with migraines swear by it.

I kind of LOL when I read the link too. Kind of like the poster just wanted to win an argument and thought that it would lay substantial evidence for his claim. 1 person died smoking pot because they had a bad heart. That's almost a no-brainer and not necessarily tied to cannabis its self. The same person could have died on a rollercoaster, skydiving, during sex, etc.

Not about winning an argument, it's about presenting and discussing facts to counter an inaccurate claim. I've spent the last 12-15 or so months, off an on, researching this for work. If time.com isn't good enough for you, click here for a recent article from CBS News. To counter that one though, there's other articles (2013 and/or earlier) and reports that state there are no known deaths caused by cannabis in the US.

The UK has spent some considerable amount of money researching cannabis as well. Plenty of articles available online, free to anyone that actually cares to learn about it.

Caution though, sometimes one has to actually research who did the published research to see if there's "a purpose behind the research" (who funded it, etc).

In 99.9% of situations, weed is not helpful. It does not make a person more productive. It's a gateway drug and in many cases is addictive.

Granted there is the 0.1% situation for a terminally ill person, etc.

I am not for legalizing it, but if that's where it goes, then tax the HELL out of it.

I think it is a growing problem ever since it was legalized in Colorado. I have friends who previously worked law enforcement in Western Nebraska. Both of them said things changed drastically in 2014

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT