ADVERTISEMENT

If you guys have to line up and play OSU right now, how would you feel about the game?

hawkit3113

Walk On
Apr 14, 2011
How far do you think you guys are from their pace? I know there are a lot of questions with the new coach, but where do you see yourself when you compare your program to theirs?

It is hard to tell where we are without watching a game.....

But going into a game against Ohio State would make me nervous. I doubt we would win. Nebraska has some catching up to do to beat a defending National Champion.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Not sure how we can answer this question with the new coaches and all... It would be much easier for you to answer the question since very little has changed for you except personnel. For us, we have no idea how well the team will gel with the new coaches, and we have no depth at linebacker. We lost some big time players as well in AA and Randy Gregory... so I don't think it would be very pretty, but we wouldn't get blown out like we became accustomed to under Bo...

What about Iowa?

in all liklihood we would get our asses kicked
would hope to compete in a few years

I like our chances against Iowa, however

BYU and Miami make me very nervous .... toss up games --- win them and it could be a huge spring board for recruiting and optimism for the future ..... losing them wold be very deflating

It is hard to tell where we are without watching a game.....

But going into a game against Ohio State would make me nervous. I doubt we would win. Nebraska has some catching up to do to beat a defending National Champion.

Fair enough, but it does seem like you guys recruit well. How many years, in your mind, until you could reach OSUs level? Assuming Mike can coach, you guys have to be ahead of Michigan and PSU at the moment.

Not sure how we can answer this question with the new coaches and all... It would be much easier for you to answer the question since very little has changed for you except personnel. For us, we have no idea how well the team will gel with the new coaches, and we have no depth at linebacker. We lost some big time players as well in AA and Randy Gregory... so I don't think it would be very pretty, but we wouldn't get blown out like we became accustomed to under Bo...

What about Iowa?

Oh man. We are a 2 to 3 year recruiting cycle and a new coach away from OSUs level.

I would like to think Riley will only get better in recruiting, and we are already pretty happy about what he has done this year. It has been seen that he can beat top teams, as he did that while at Oregon State.

If his recruiting is great, I like our chances to return to prominence.

Urban's teams tend to peak late in the season - so a Game 1 match-up would be interesting - I think our D ultimately wears down due to just not enough game experienced players especially at LB. Offense will be pretty good - but we are going to struggle against elite Ds - just not enough firepower (and inconsistent QB play). If Armstrong takes a big leap ahead - with DPE, Westy, Carter and our stable of backs....we could be a heck of tough team to beat in B1G play. We aren't good enough to just line 'em up and see who's bigga.....need QB to execute.

id feel good if its 1st game. Especially due to the suspensions, Bosa in particular. His teams do peak later. Without their leader on defense might have a shot. Their offense should be sick though, especially if Braxton Miller can be a receiver.

Fair enough, but it does seem like you guys recruit well. How many years, in your mind, until you could reach OSUs level? Assuming Mike can coach, you guys have to be ahead of Michigan and PSU at the moment.

Another hard question to answer because of the new staff. Our recruiting has been decent and seems to be getting better under MR. It is nowhere near the OSU level. It will take 3-4 years, if all goes great, to get close to that level.

Michigan will be interesting to watch because they have recruited very well the last few years. Penn State has also been recruiting well, but I don't think that Franklin is as good as advertised.

Another hard question to answer because of the new staff. Our recruiting has been decent and seems to be getting better under MR. It is nowhere near the OSU level. It will take 3-4 years, if all goes great, to get close to that level.

Michigan will be interesting to watch because they have recruited very well the last few years. Penn State has also been recruiting well, but I don't think that Franklin is as good as advertised.

The beauty of Michigan getting good, is they are a double edged sword to OSU. They dilute OSU's talent pool by going after the same guys. Now, word is, Harbaugh isn't making any grounds in Ohio or against OSU, but he will.

PSU, with the right coach (not sold on Franklin, he seems like all bark no bite) has some real potential to give OSU some trouble.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
This is really difficult to measure at this point, as we don't know how Riley's schemes will match up with Meyer's, and vice-versa. I do like the fact that chances of our coach coming unglued during the game have decreased significantly.

I think maybe the only way to measure it at this point is just try to compare overall talent, and honestly, OSU looks fairly far ahead at this point. I think Nebraska has some players who would likely start, or at least make the 2-deep on their roster, such as Collins, VV, DPE, Gerry and possibly Westy. It's really difficult to assess our linebackers, since they have not had any coaching for the past few seasons, so it's hard to know how Bando, Rose or Newby compare athletically to the Bucks' linebackers. Same with tight ends - all Husker fans are optimistic about Carter and company, but it's hard to tell how good he is since he's had limited opportunities in the past.

Bottom line: I think we will have a much better idea about this mid-way through the season, but at this point, I would not be confident in Nebraska's chances in a game against the Buckeyes.

Ohio State clearly has the talent, experience and is in year 3 with their system and coaching staff. If we switched those circumstances and Nebraska was in Ohio State's position, we would laugh at a "Nebraska" competing with that team. That said, I do like the potential trajectory of the Husker program. I do believe the cupboards aren't bare. I believe Ameer was a huge loss, and clearly Gregory caused teams to game plan around him, but I don't think he will end up being as big of a loss as one would think.

If this team catches lightning in a bottle and wins the non-conference games, catches momentum, in a one game match at the end of the year, anything can happen. Of course Ohio State would likely be favored by 13.5, but let's just get there and worry about that if/when it happens. If Nebraska played Ohio State 10 times, likely Ohio State wins 9 of em. Maybe all 10. But you only need to catch that one.

We know very little about this team, how the current roster fits into the system, and coaching staff together at Nebraska. We know a lot about OSU and Meyer. We would get drilled.

OSU appears good top to bottom. And if someone gets hurt, they can put another guy right in the game.

OSU is beatable, but they "runneth over" with talent. How long until any other team in the B1G is on pace with OSU, when is Urban Meyer retiring?

OSU appears good top to bottom. And if someone gets hurt, they can put another guy right in the game.

OSU is beatable, but they "runneth over" with talent. How long until any other team in the B1G is on pace with OSU, when is Urban Meyer retiring?

Sooner rather than later. PSU and Michigan, along with MSU, will put a dent in their recruiting. If not, there is no end in site.

How far do you think you guys are from their pace? I know there are a lot of questions with the new coach, but where do you see yourself when you compare your program to theirs?
The new coaching staff gives me much more confidence that we won't lose a game by 40 points.

The beauty of Michigan getting good, is they are a double edged sword to OSU. They dilute OSU's talent pool by going after the same guys. Now, word is, Harbaugh isn't making any grounds in Ohio or against OSU, but he will.

PSU, with the right coach (not sold on Franklin, he seems like all bark no bite) has some real potential to give OSU some trouble.

JT Barrett - Texas (If you prefer Cardale Jones - Virginia)
Joey Bosa - Florida
Ezekiel Elliot - Missouri

I'll start off and say I'm cherry-picking, it's a select list. But none of these guys are from the B1G footprint. Meyer doesn't restrict himself to ohio players, but I get what you're saying. Is Michigan getting good? I think they will get better with Harbaugh, but not OSU good. I don't see the rest of the B1G stripping very many of Meyers' Ohio targets.

Just my opinion, when OSU and Oregon played, Oregon needed to beat OSU, OSU just needed to beat Marcus Mariota. The point is, no one in the B1G is putting together a roster like OSU's taking into account attrition.

Urban Meyer is a special coach, love him or hate him. He won his first national championship in his 5th or 6th year. Now he has 3 under his belt. Until someone (including NU) can put together great recruiting and great gameplay, OSU will stay on top. OSU is beatable, just don't expect to be favored when you play them.

Very good chance we'd lose, slight chance we'd win. Pretty much the same as the rest of the country.

I'm content to watch us grow throughout the season and make the B1G title game. Then we'll have something to talk about.

You know, the teams weren't near as bad as some of those scores. That falls squarely on the coaches. Nebraska was not prepared and had some bad game plans at times.
I know, that's why I said what I did. Coaches in way over their head.

JT Barrett - Texas (If you prefer Cardale Jones - Virginia)
Joey Bosa - Florida
Ezekiel Elliot - Missouri

I'll start off and say I'm cherry-picking, it's a select list. But none of these guys are from the B1G footprint. Meyer doesn't restrict himself to ohio players, but I get what you're saying. Is Michigan getting good? I think they will get better with Harbaugh, but not OSU good. I don't see the rest of the B1G stripping very many of Meyers' Ohio targets.

Just my opinion, when OSU and Oregon played, Oregon needed to beat OSU, OSU just needed to beat Marcus Mariota. The point is, no one in the B1G is putting together a roster like OSU's taking into account attrition.

Urban Meyer is a special coach, love him or hate him. He won his first national championship in his 5th or 6th year. Now he has 3 under his belt. Until someone (including NU) can put together great recruiting and great gameplay, OSU will stay on top. OSU is beatable, just don't expect to be favored when you play them.

They have picked it up nationally. But their back yard is loaded. And its a much bigger pond when you recruit nationally. Yes they have won lately, but its hard to keep that up when you are rubbing elbows with Bama, FL, USC, Oregon, ND, etc.........

Having not read any of the responses, just wanted to comment, I think with OSU getting Wisconsin's old coach and Nebraska having OSU's old coach, Nebraska would blow the crap out of them, Riley knows his old team better than anybody. Fun question though. What I want to know is when Riley can get our team to tOSU level. I'm going to let the season play out before I guess on that.

You'll find out how you stack up against a nationally elite team when MSU comes to town.

If TA is your QB...well we own him.

I'd have to know a little more about Oregon State, but I think Coach Riley would have inside knowledge that would put us over the top! GBR!Smokin

You'll find out how you stack up against a nationally elite team when MSU comes to town.

I'd imagine that Oregon and tOSU fans would laugh at your "Elite" claim. Especially considering Nebraska couldn't find enough ways to hand Sparty the game last year, and still had a chance to pull it out in the end.

Right now, there is only one team in the conference that can claim to be "Elite" and Sparty aint it. A very good team yes.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
We have a ways to go. Last year Wisconsin gave us one of our most humiliating losses ever and then THEY proceeded to lose by...what...50?...to OSU?

If TA is your QB...well we own him.

Nobody considers Michigan State as nationally elite.
except for you.

And you don't really believe it, do you?

Reactions: HuskerLLM
3 years of great recruiting. I think this staff can get top 15 classes, if they can do that we will be able to beat anyone.

At this point because we have no idea how this team reacts. And if we don't take OSU's suspensions into account, I sadly think we'd get pounded into the sand. But that's why we're all excited to see what happens this year. We can only go off years past and that's what would have happened. Hoping things have changed and we'll find that out when the team gets on the field and plays.

When tOSU has an All-American; they tend to be the real deal and well coached, makes them tough. A few years ago their qb goes down and we quickly rally and dominate to win from far back. They lost there first game last year; so even with new and improved coaching its possible. The B1G is tough; should be a lot of upsets. I think Iowa is where it was described earlier in the thread; though I was a fan before we went B1G, and still appreciate them; they still pull upsets. ... HCMR has a history of winning or being close against some top teams when outmanned - N gives him more to work with, so we are capable, but they should be a two TD favorite.

I don't think its a very close game. There is definitely a talent gap right now. Ohio St reminds me of some of the 90's teams we used to have.

When tOSU has an All-American; they tend to be the real deal and well coached, makes them tough. A few years ago their qb goes down and we quickly rally and dominate to win from far back. They lost there first game last year; so even with new and improved coaching its possible. The B1G is tough; should be a lot of upsets. I think Iowa is where it was described earlier in the thread; though I was a fan before we went B1G, and still appreciate them; they still pull upsets. ... HCMR has a history of winning or being close against some top teams when outmanned - N gives him more to work with, so we are capable, but they should be a two TD favorite.

You are going to see the absolute worst in our fanbase if we have another 7-5 team. I like KF and think he is a class act, but he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat this season. He has the schedule to do it. If he doesn't, watch the crazies come out in full force. I think the fan base feels like college football is passing us bye, and will demand change. I would say 9-3 is a must for KF, if he doesn't want a lynch mob on his hands. And going 0-4 in rivalry/trophy games is totally unacceptable.

This thread is silly. Nobody in the Big Ten and only 2 teams in college football are currently close to Ohio State. Their 2015 team will go down as Meyer's greatest team and arguably the greatest Ohio State team of all time. Next May, as many as 9 Buckeyes could be drafted in the first round.

Even if Nebraska were to go 11-0, they would still likely be a double digit dog vs. OSU in the 2015 Big Ten title game.

I always expect Ohio State to be elite under Meyer, but this team is going to be special because of some elite "once in a generation player" like Bosa, Elliot, JT Barrett and 3 offensive linemen who are among All Time Ohio Staters.

Ohio State is always going to have players like Adolphus Washington, Jaelin Marshall, and Von Bell. But those guys don't win championships.

Is it silly to ask where your program is in comparison to OSU? I would figure OSU is the benchmark for all of college football. Not sure whats so silly about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT