ADVERTISEMENT

If we end up looking for a new coach or decide to keep Frost

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I hope Alberts uses his head and does not listen to the fans, especially this fan. Most fans, myself included, were very happy with the decision to fire Solich. Yes, there were Solich loyalists who hated it, but most fans thought a change was needed and that the program was "slipping". But in retrospect, was firing Solich really wise after a 9-3 season and with a very good record overall? And when we fired Callahan - - again, what the fans wanted - - Osborne hired the deranged Pelini even though he was warned by many not to. Again, I think what the fans wanted played a big role in Osborne's thinking. Then, most fans were so fed up with Pelini, despite his 9 wins a year, that they wanted him fired and were happy when he was. But Pelini won a lot of games and I am sure Mike Riley was not Eichorst's first, second, third, or fourth choice. Then we all wanted Riley fired (but this time we were correct) and were THRILLED when Frost was hired. Frost was who we all wanted. Now look at us.

Frost may yet work out. I think we are in for a big turnaround for the remainder of our season. But... once again... I and many others wanted Frost fired after Illinois. Bring on Campbell or Monken, or freaking Craig Bohl! Anyone but Frost! This clown show must end! Send Frost packing to his secret love nest at Gate25!

My point? Most fans, myself included, don't know our butthhole from a gun barrel when it comes to picking coaches or deciding if a coach should be fired. I really like Trev Alberts. I think he is a smart guy. And I know one thing: he should NEVER give me a call to ask my advice on coaches.

I hope Alberts uses his head and does not listen to the fans, especially this fan. Most fans, myself included, were very happy with the decision to fire Solich. Yes, there were Solich loyalists who hated it, but most fans thought a change was needed and that the program was "slipping". But in retrospect, was firing Solich really wise after a 9-3 season and with a very good record overall? And when we fired Callahan - - again, what the fans wanted - - Osborne hired the deranged Pelini even though he was warned by many not to. Again, I think what the fans wanted played a big role in Osborne's thinking. Then, most fans were so fed up with Pelini, despite his 9 wins a year, that they wanted him fired and were happy when he was. But Pelini won a lot of games and I am sure Mike Riley was not Eichorst's first, second, third, or fourth choice. Then we all wanted Riley fired (but this time we were correct) and were THRILLED when Frost was hired. Frost was who we all wanted. Now look at us.

Frost may yet work out. I think we are in for a big turnaround for the remainder of our season. But... once again... I and many others wanted Frost fired after Illinois. Bring on Campbell or Monken, or freaking Craig Bohl! Anyone but Frost! This clown show must end! Send Frost packing to his secret love nest at Gate25!

My point? Most fans, myself included, don't know our butthhole from a gun barrel when it comes to picking coaches or deciding if a coach should be fired. I really like Trev Alberts. I think he is a smart guy. And I know one thing: he should NEVER give me a call to ask my advice on coaches.

Spot on, Pennsy.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
You can count on one hand how many legendary coaches have been college football head coaches in our lifetime unless someone is 70 years old or something like that then they can use two hands.

In no order: Tom osborne, Urban Meyer, Eddie Robinson for the older crowd, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Woody Hayes, Barry Switzer for those 50+

those are the cream of the crop head coaches over the last 40 to 60ish years. Notice how few names were listed.

there is no scientific formula you can use to identify who will work and who will not work out as a head coach, BUT what you can do is be smart and study the history of what is successful and not successful at a school and when you make a new hire, identify a person that is the closest to what has worked in the past.

Will an air raid offense ever win a conference title at Nebraska? Not a chance in hell. Would a team that can run the football for 300+ yards against the top teams in the Big Ten win the Big Ten Conference? 100% yes.

You can count on one hand how many legendary coaches have been college football head coaches in our lifetime unless someone is 70 years old or something like that then they can use two hands.

In no order: Tom osborne, Urban Meyer, Eddie Robinson for the older crowd, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Woody Hayes, Barry Switzer for those 50+

those are the cream of the crop head coaches over the last 40 to 60ish years. Notice how few names were listed.

there is no scientific formula you can use to identify who will work and who will not work out as a head coach, BUT what you can do is be smart and study the history of what is successful and not successful at a school and when you make a new hire, identify a person that is the closest to what has worked in the past.

Will an air raid offense ever win a conference title at Nebraska? Not a chance in hell. Would a team that can run the football for 300+ yards against the top teams in the Big Ten win the Big Ten Conference? 100% yes.
Urban Meyer and Nick Saban even think your posts suck! If they think your posts suck, that’s the nail in the coffin.

You need to stop posting right now.

Urban Meyer and Nick Saban even think your posts suck! If they think your posts suck, that’s the nail in the coffin.

So Nick Saban and urban Meyer are not legendary coaches? What drugs you on?

So Nick Saban and urban Meyer are not legendary coaches? What drugs you on?

My bad, you named Urban Meyer and I missed that. Then let me try again.

Even Nick Saban thinks your posts suck! If he thinks your posts suck, that’s the nail in the coffin.

My bad, you named Urban Meyer and I missed that. Then let me try again.

Even Nick Saban thinks your posts suck! If he thinks your posts suck, that’s the nail in the coffin.

I know the Scott Frost lovers hate the concept of a successful, powerful rushing attack.

To be clear, I am not calling for Frost to be fired. He and his staff need to dramatically improve, without doubt. When I look at his staff I see a bunch of younger guys who haven't been through some major battles in leagues like the B1G.

Every coach gets compared to other coaches. Solich followed one of the greatest of all time, who would want to do that? Bo rubbed me wrong right away with his antics while he was well supported on this forum by nearly everyone. Riley was a disaster although I could see what he was trying to do and in spite of what some want to say, it wasn't all bad.

I wish Frost had one or two "grizzly veterans" on his staff. Not yes men but guys who have been through the battles and can see the little details. How else can anyone explain the repeated issues? I don't think, in spite of all the problems, we are as far from making progress as it may seem. But changes need to be made. Frost is really a young guy and needs to be open to some experienced mentoring and be willing to make personnel decisions.

It is clear to me from watching UCF and the early Frost/Chins teams that they have seen the need to change and have. It is not the same O or D. What does that tell us? Everyone wants to win, few know how to get there and are willing to make the tough decisions.

It doesn't really matter how much I agree with this post, I liked it purely because of the fitting use of..."don't know our butthhole from a gun barrel." A+

I wanna party with you, Pennsy. Too bad you don't like bourbon.

To be clear, I am not calling for Frost to be fired. He and his staff need to dramatically improve, without doubt. When I look at his staff I see a bunch of younger guys who haven't been through some major battles in leagues like the B1G.

Every coach gets compared to other coaches. Solich followed one of the greatest of all time, who would want to do that? Bo rubbed me wrong right away with his antics while he was well supported on this forum by nearly everyone. Riley was a disaster although I could see what he was trying to do and in spite of what some want to say, it wasn't all bad.

I wish Frost had one or two "grizzly veterans" on his staff. Not yes men but guys who have been through the battles and can see the little details. How else can anyone explain the repeated issues? I don't think, in spite of all the problems, we are as far from making progress as it may seem. But changes need to be made. Frost is really a young guy and needs to be open to some experienced mentoring and be willing to make personnel decisions.

It is clear to me from watching UCF and the early Frost/Chins teams that they have seen the need to change and have. It is not the same O or D. What does that tell us? Everyone wants to win, few know how to get there and are willing to make the tough decisions.
Great post.

If you didn’t know your butt hole to a gun barrel are you suggesting people who shoot themselves in the face are in just shitting themselves in the face with their butt hole

Frost could probably keep his job if he got rid of a few coaches and (hopefully) replace them with upgrades. Head coaches do it often (yes, I’m Captain Obvious here).

Great post. Frosty needs a couple grizzly vets on his team. Take a look at Arkansas. HC Pittman has the former Mizzou HC Odom as their d-coordinator, and is kicking ass.

I know the Scott Frost lovers hate the concept of a successful, powerful rushing attack.
the worst we've finished in the b1g in rushing under Frost is 4th, in 2018.

I would assume a history buff such as yourself would know that?

you also posted, I hope sarcastically, that running for 300+ yards/game against the best teams in the country would lead to wins. NO SH*T?!

I hope Trev doesn't listen to TO's advice, he's not good at hiring.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

I think what we've seen from this team over these past 4 games is enough to be encouraged that we have the right guy at the helm. I sure as hell wouldn't complain if he replaced his O line coach but I think Trev is a LOT better qualified to make that call than me or anybody posting on this board. As a friend of mine who played college ball at a high level and at least had an NFL tryout said last night, "stuff like that Martinez fumble last night aren't the head coach's fault". He thought the officiating was extremely one sided. He thought last year that Frost needed to go but now believes they've improved dramatically and have things going the right way. At some point some of the calls and the breaks are going to turn our way. As long as we're playing a team who still has as a shot at making the CFB playoff though the B1G officials aren't going to give us any breaks. I hope every one of the refs we draw from here on out gets to watch that BS pass interference call and that tardy forward progress whistle multiple times.

Good post. Nebraska is trending up. We didn't get a pancake schedule this year, hell, they have 5 of the top 10 teams on their schedule.

I agree with others that something changed with Scott and the current staff. Signs point to that being Alberts, but I'm honestly just guessing if that's what it is.

I don't want to chase coaches. I love what this team is transforming into. A run-first, pass off the read team with a sound defense. I love our current players. I think we will have a good team next year too, IF, this staff can maintain the same intensity shown these past few weeks. Get a few more recruits, and get some transfer goodies and add to the depth.

I think what we've seen from this team over these past 4 games is enough to be encouraged that we have the right guy at the helm. I sure as hell wouldn't complain if he replaced his O line coach but I think Trev is a LOT better qualified to make that call than me or anybody posting on this board. As a friend of mine who played college ball at a high level and at least had an NFL tryout said last night, "stuff like that Martinez fumble last night aren't the head coach's fault". He thought the officiating was extremely one sided. He thought last year that Frost needed to go but now believes they've improved dramatically and have things going the right way. At some point some of the calls and the breaks are going to turn our way. As long as we're playing a team who still has as a shot at making the CFB playoff though the B1G officials aren't going to give us any breaks. I hope every one of the refs we draw from here on out gets to watch that BS pass interference call and that tardy forward progress whistle multiple times.
I still want to see more progress like now winning some games done the stretch.. Winning 3 more games would convince me even more..

Unless you go 4-8, I think Frost gets one more year. Starting all over with a new coach is always a crap shoot. I think the odds that Frost can turn it around are still slightly higher than a new guy (someone like Matt Campbell) being the answer.

Reactions: bshirt73
There are so many ways to look at all this. Frost has felt the heat and rightfully so. Areas of the team have been less than stellar since his arrival and although it wasn't all 4* talent, there were obvious problems. Chins has changed what he was doing and is the beneficiary of having guys in their mid 20's playing but, for me, there are still questions. When we needed a stop against Michigan, we couldn't get it. 75 yards in 10 plays. The D is good but still gives up too much, i.e. the tight end constantly over the middle and passes to the boundaries we can't cover, and our tackling went out the window late in the game. They literally ran over us with two backs, one under 100 and the other well over 100 yards.

Our O line is finding some footing but is still not where it needs to be. People blast the playing calling for "running up the gut" when the D is in a two deep zone which screams for running the ball, not throwing. We just cannot execute.

It's anyone's guess what has gone on behind the scenes but I made my call on that a while back and stick with it. Frost has some decisions to make on his staff. They may all survive with a push at the end if this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Frost could probably keep his job if he got rid of a few coaches and (hopefully) replace them with upgrades. Head coaches do it often (yes, I’m Captain Obvious here).
Why keep a coach who hand picked and has tolerated down-level assistants? Being a successful coach involves hiring competent assistants and re-evaluating your staff on a continual basis. Frost gets a big, fat zero in that regard.

except everybody does know the difference and I have a shell for you if you feel the need to test it.

Frost had a lot of momentum and was a media darling.

No one should blame themselves for wanting Frost. I was over the moon.

In hindsight there were some things concerning about his resume and no one thought we could do worse than Riley.

I worry that people get emotionally invested in not admitting they are wrong and will double down to avoid it.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Why keep a coach who hand picked and has tolerated down-level assistants? Being a successful coach involves hiring competent assistants and re-evaluating your staff on a continual basis. Frost gets a big, fat zero in that regard.
We've got 20+ million reasons to give Frost the opportunity (demand) to adjust his staff and to come back next year. Frank was forced to do it. Tom did it without coercion but make no mistake he got pressure to get rid of some guys. Tom rode with an assistant and worked with him until he was absolutely certain the guy couldn't do the job but Tom wasn't posting 3 to 5 win seasons either. I think Frost gets another year with a couple of staff changes.

Reactions: bshirt73

My point? Most fans, myself included, don't know our butthhole from a gun barrel when it comes to picking coaches or deciding if a coach should be fired. I really like Trev Alberts. I think he is a smart guy. And I know one thing: he should NEVER give me a call to ask my advice on coaches

We've got 20+ million reasons to give Frost the opportunity (demand) to adjust his staff and to come back next year. Frank was forced to do it. Tom did it without coercion but make no mistake he got pressure to get rid of some guys. Tom rode with an assistant and worked with him until he was absolutely certain the guy couldn't do the job but Tom wasn't posting 3 to 5 win seasons either. I think Frost gets another year with a couple of staff changes.
If Nebraska 2022 played the 2003 schedule I don't have much difficulty saying the 2022 team goes 9-3 as well. It was a very easy schedule. PSU was horrid as was much of the Big 12. The only good teams were Texas and KSU and NU was blown out by both. More important was that Solich didn't really try to improve the coaching staff beyond Pelini, who was the only good hire on the revamped staff. The rest of the hires were legacy Nebraska guys without much to offer. Sanders was decent, but Cotton as OC?

Reactions: dinglefritz
If Nebraska 2022 played the 2003 schedule I don't have much difficulty saying the 2022 team goes 9-3 as well. It was a very easy schedule. PSU was horrid as was much of the Big 12. The only good teams were Texas and KSU and NU was blown out by both. More important was that Solich didn't really try to improve the coaching staff beyond Pelini, who was the only good hire on the revamped staff. The rest of the hires were legacy Nebraska guys without much to offer. Sanders was decent, but Cotton as OC?
Pelini IMO was not a good hire so I'll disagree with you there. IMO, a trained monkey could have done the same or better with the talent we had on defense that year. He got owned by decent offenses. His public distain for recruiting should have been a non-starter. I think Bo would have been exposed had Frank been retained. You comments on schedules though are spot on and often we don't know their effect until after all the games are played. Likewise it's tough to judge recruiting classes until the full class has graduated.

Pelini IMO was not a good hire so I'll disagree with you there. IMO, a trained monkey could have done the same or better with the talent we had on defense that year. He got owned by decent offenses. His public distain for recruiting should have been a non-starter. I think Bo would have been exposed had Frank been retained. You comments on schedules though are spot on and often we don't know their effect until after all the games are played. Likewise it's tough to judge recruiting classes until the full class has graduated.
In retrospect, firing Craig Bohl was probably a mistake.

So now you are in my train. Welcome aboard.

So now you are in my train. Welcome aboard.
I've never understood the admiration for Mario. He seems like an odd duck and odd ducks normally don't recruit well and his QBs have continued to make high school mistakes. Austin I like but the O line performance is incriminating. I think there is enough talent there to be better than what they are. Those are the two guys I would single out and I think Frost needs to coach the QBs so he can hire a full time special teams/kicking coach. JMO which isn't worth squat.

Last edited:
Solich wans't getting any better, so he needed to be shown the door at some point, but the way it was done was amateur hour

Solich wans't getting any better, so he needed to be shown the door at some point, but the way it was done was amateur hour
Frank's winning percentage at Ohio probably tells us what his longer term outlook would have been at Nebraska IMO. Good guy. Great RB coach. Maybe he was in over his head as the head coach at NU. We'll never know for sure.

feet also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT