ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers Add JUCO C Commit

7 of 8 listed seniors can come back for another season. McCarville is the only one out of eligibility after 2022.

9 juniors, 4 sophomores, 4 redshirt freshmen, 11 freshmen on the current roster. Wessel has already told the staff he's done after this season, gonna focus on school.

7 + 9 + 4 + 4 (-1) + 11 = 34 possible returning from current roster.

16 incoming in the 2022 class. And we're still looking to add.

50 total after Columbus' commitment. Exit meetings are going to be lit.

Reactions: sklarbodds
7 of 8 listed seniors can come back for another season. McCarville is the only one out of eligibility after 2022.

9 juniors, 4 sophomores, 4 redshirt freshmen, 11 freshmen on the current roster. Wessel has already told the staff he's done after this season, gonna focus on school.

7 + 9 + 4 + 4 (-1) + 11 = 34 possible returning from current roster.

16 incoming in the 2022 class. And we're still looking to add.

50 total after Columbus' commitment. Exit meetings are going to be lit.
How do the Covid Seniors count towards roster and scholarship limits?

Last I read the Covid senior thing is in limbo right now and may not come back for 2023. Although that's not exactly up to date info.

Last I read the Covid senior thing is in limbo right now and may not come back for 2023. Although that's not exactly up to date info.
Yeah, I haven't read anything on it in awhile and was wondering what they were going to do. They made a short term fix when it was going to be a 4-5 year issue.

Last I heard, they're counted against the total allotment. Also, last I heard, the staff is anticipating that to hold true. That was about 5 weeks ago, although our current 2022 class continues to grow & we're still looking doesn't add up.

Last I heard, they're counted against the total allotment. Also, last I heard, the staff is anticipating that to hold true. That was about 5 weeks ago, although our current 2022 class continues to grow & we're still looking doesn't add up.
I'm surprised the Big Ten even allowed them to sign as many guys as they did.

To be fair, is there any super senior we’d actually want to return? I think we need to move on from most. The leadership has been pretty bad just watching them play on the field. I guess a case could be made for Frank and Chick? Assuming Frank goes back to the bullpen. Is Everitt a super senior? If so then he may be another.

I also don’t know the inner dynamics of this team. I just know they classically underperform so would rather see new blood than more of the same. Maybe that means some younger guys seeing the door as well. Banjoff as an example.

To be fair, is there any super senior we’d actually want to return? I think we need to move on from most. The leadership has been pretty bad just watching them play on the field. I guess a case could be made for Frank and Chick? Assuming Frank goes back to the bullpen. Is Everitt a super senior? If so then he may be another.

I also don’t know the inner dynamics of this team. I just know they classically underperform so would rather see new blood than more of the same. Maybe that means some younger guys seeing the door as well. Banjoff as an example.

It just seems like the pilot light is out.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
My .02, as of today:

Frank & Everitt are the only 2 I ask/push to return. Koty is a real possibility, but I think Griff signs a contract.

Next, I give Schanaman a chance to return understanding 2 things; (a) you're a bullpen guy only (b) you're paying your own way.

Lastly; Martin, Bragg & Bradford.

That's it. All other class of 2018 & 2019 guys, bye.

Last edited:
Are they looking to get a medical year for Bradford or do you think he'll be able to pitch again this season? Any update on Bunz for this year or his status for 2023?

Due to inaccurate info before, I give up on both. :) Honestly, I don't know. Rumor a couple weeks ago, Bunz had a minor setback but I also heard it was mental. No idea on accuracy. Bradford got a second opinion which pushed him back another 3-4 weeks so I haven't pursued an update since that one. Based on that, unless we catch fire - Ethan should focus on summer ball and get ready for the fall.

Bradford doesn't qualify for a medical year.

With all that said, it's time for Jerry Weber to retire. Very painful to say that too. But, his track record has been bad for a number of years and coach Bolt deserves to have someone else involved in his program.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
My .02, as of today:

Frank & Everitt are the only 2 I ask/push to return. Koty is a real possibility, but I think Griff signs a contract.

Next, I give Schanaman a chance to return understanding 2 things; (a) you're a bullpen guy only (b) you're paying your own way.

Lastly; Martin, Bragg & Bradford.

That's it. All other class of 2018 & 2019 guys, bye.
Schanaman has been the only consitent bright spot in the weekend rotation this year. He's had some down games, but not all that many and should stay in the rotation and he is super Senior.

Schanaman has been the only consitent bright spot in the weekend rotation this year. He's had some down games, but not all that many and should stay in the rotation and he is super Senior.

Shay has been good against bad teams, and not good against teams with a pulse.

TCU was brutal, didn't get past the 2nd. 5 ER against Michigan in 5.1 innings and Rutgers was 6 ER or whatever it was. His ERA in those 3 games are horrendous.

In 2023, he'd be a bullpen guy for me. Schwellenbach type. I'd much rather have Shay impact 2 games in a weekend from the bullpen vs possibly 1 as a starter. Plus, he's a 94-96 type of arm as a leverage guy with a wipeout slider compared to 89-92, T93/94, due to pacing himself as a starter.

That's correct, but only if the injury is season ending. I should've stipulated that, so I guess there's a chance.
I'm obviously not rooting for the kid to have a serious injury, but it seems like it may be more beneficial to get a year of eligibility back instead of getting a few innings out of him in May. I was intrigued with what I saw from him early in the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT