ADVERTISEMENT

How far will Gregory drop?

No idea, but it's weird in the sense that most Husker fans were never sold on him being a top 10 pick anyway. So let's say he drops to 15-20, seems about right to a lot of us anyway. As far as "other issues", somebody is gonna look the other way, whatever they are. NFL teams always do if the guy has talent, only takes one team.

I think another good question is where was the media in Nebraska regarding Gregory? If there were various issues, why didn't the OWH or LJS or the multitude of sports talk shows report it? Also, Charlies Davis was on Unsportsman Like Conduct and said the same thing as Glazer, but neither host followed up on the statement by asking "what issues?"

Depends a lot on the issues they are talking about. With all of the scrutiny on players in the NFL and the NFL's lack of attention to those concerns, I doubts teams are going to line up for his services. Like anything else, it only takes one team to take the chance but there are two major considerations when they do this: 1. is he a high risk for the investment and 2. Is he a liability for making headlines and creating distractions for the wrong reasons.

Its one thing to have a proven player with baggage and quite another with unknown production and to take the same risks.

I think another good question is where was the media in Nebraska regarding Gregory? If there were various issues, why didn't the OWH or LJS or the multitude of sports talk shows report it? Also, Charlies Davis was on Unsportsman Like Conduct and said the same thing as Glazer, but neither host followed up on the statement by asking "what issues?"
There was never anything "official" to report until Gregory got out from behind the Pelini wall. Bo was tough on drug use, unless you were a beast at defensive end of course.

Probably because the local media doesn't pay all that much attention to the football team, its players or its coaches. That was Bo's complaint, wasn't it?

A year ago Randy was a lock to be a top 10 pick. Now...who knows?
Just saw this from Glazer (who is incredibly connected in NFL circles):

Paul Pabst@PaulPabst 9m9 minutes ago
"I wouldn't touch him....from what teams say...there are other issues." Jay Glazer on LB Randy Gregory.

Ouch.
Everything I've seen still has him going at 13 to NO. If you believe Glazer is incredibly connected in NFL circles, you watch way to much fox news...oh wait

A year ago Randy was a lock to be a top 10 pick. Now...who knows?
Just saw this from Glazer (who is incredibly connected in NFL circles):

Paul Pabst@PaulPabst 9m9 minutes ago
"I wouldn't touch him....from what teams say...there are other issues." Jay Glazer on LB Randy Gregory.

Ouch.
espn has been saying the end of the first round. they said teams are concerned about how much weight he is going to have to put on and will he be the same player with that extra weight. that and the off the field problems

Everybody is nit-picking because that's what they do leading up to the draft. And the information leaking out of inner circles is almost all mis-information. Only when we hear his name called will we know what the NFL truly thinks. My guess is 20-25.

Will go in picks 10-20 (likely closer to 10...I think he goes #11 to the Vikes). Every team in the NFL has player behavior issues. Randy will fit in just fine.

GBR

The article I read said you are basically dead if you mistake in your top 20 draft picks. After that there are enough misses anyway; you don't get killed, so to speak for an occasional mistake. So after the 20th pick the reward outweighs the risk at some point. So he is a great guy with an issue; if they feel its easily managed, he goes in the 20's - some teams have taken him off their board.

I would "nit-pic" too if I were to pay millions for someone to play football for me. If you are a GM you don't get many chances so you better not blow it. I am one who didn't get wrapped up in the drama of Gregory and see him as a world beater. He had some nice length, speed and quickness but felt he took too many plays off. I too think his size will hurt him in the big boys game and if they have questions about his character then I don't see the tremendous upside some thing he has. They will find out more about Gregory than Gregory knows.

Gregory will be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL than he was in the 4-3

He'll get a shot due to his upside

Everybody is nit-picking because that's what they do leading up to the draft. And the information leaking out of inner circles is almost all mis-information. Only when we hear his name called will we know what the NFL truly thinks. My guess is 20-25.

I have heard NFL execs interviewed who state that their draft boards don't change much if at all-- even before the combine. When someone's stock is rising or falling, it's not the teams doing this, it's the media trying to catch up to what the NFL had for ratings all along. That said, Gregory's failed drug test hurt him because while the NFL knew about it, this puts him in the 1st offense category and he's that much closer to suspension. Plus I'm guessing all teams must question his judgement as well.

A couple months ago, I said he's a 2nd round talent, but he'll go sometime in the first round based on measurables and potential. But now I'm not so sure.

My Steelers pick #22 and I do not want them to pick Gregory. I see him as a major bust. He's not quick off the snap like you'd expect. He struggled to disengage with college left tackles, the NFL will really be a struggle. I don't think he'll get much bigger. I wonder about him playing through injuries and his general love for the game.

He's a guy that has to have everything going perfect for him to be dominant. If he gets nicked up (which happened a lot), or if his motivation/drive/motor falters (which appeared to happen a lot), he's at best a good player.

The further he drops he then goes to a better team. The better the team the less he has to be the superstar to carry the team. If he has to be the superstar he will be set up for failure and the critics can they say they were right.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if he goes top 10 and it wouldn't surprise me if he's still around late in the 2nd. He was a boom-or-bust guy before he failed a test. Now that's just an additional way he can bust.

His technique and work ethic have been questioned for a while. He's a freak athlete, but not somebody you hear things like "great hands" or " running motor" or "great football IQ" about. I've said all along that I didn't want him as a Bear. Even if they got him with their second rounder, I still don't know if I want him.

Here is another ARTICLE on his potential fall. I hadn't heard the potential anxiety issues. If that is true, I can see teams scared off, especially when you look at how selecting a high pic with anxiety issues cost the Houston Rockets with Royce White.

I don't buy the anxiety excuse from Randy. He had to tell them something as to why he did it. Pretty clear by now that Randy is this year's pre-draft bust whipping boy. He deserves some of the hate, but not this much. Royce White wouldn't get on on planes to travel (which makes being a professional athlete a slightly challenging endeavor). Comparing him to Royce is sensationalstic rhetoric...

I sure hope where ever he gets drafted that he tears it up & proves all of the doubters wrong.

GBR

I don't buy the anxiety excuse from Randy. He had to tell them something as to why he did it. Pretty clear by now that Randy is this year's pre-draft bust whipping boy. He deserves some of the hate, but not this much. Royce White wouldn't get on on planes to travel (which makes being a professional athlete a slightly challenging endeavor). Comparing him to Royce is sensationalstic rhetoric...

I sure hope where ever he gets drafted that he tears it up & proves all of the doubters wrong.

GBR

This is the NFL we're talking about, and the incredibly detailed NFL vetting process for potential draft pics. IF teams are avoiding Randy over anxiety issues, its certainly not because he said "I have anxiety" and they just went with it. Again, IF NFL teams believe there are anxiety issues, its almost assuredly because actual psychologists have determined that to be the case.

Well after all of us busting his chops a bit I really hope he goes on to become a beast in the NFL...as I believe most, if not all of you do as well.

No idea, but it's weird in the sense that most Husker fans were never sold on him being a top 10 pick anyway. So let's say he drops to 15-20, seems about right to a lot of us anyway. As far as "other issues", somebody is gonna look the other way, whatever they are. NFL teams always do if the guy has talent, only takes one team.

Whomever takes Gregory bought them self a certified bust. I don't care what round it is. I said it months ago. He's behavior during the Miami game told me 1000 stories.

Whomever takes Gregory bought them self a certified bust. I don't care what round it is. I said it months ago. He's behavior during the Miami game told me 1000 stories.

Perhaps you should write a book then, I'd love to hear all of your stories.

4 OLBs not named Gregory are gone. Some pegged Arizona as the place for him. Didn't happen. I was shocked when so many experts like Kiper had him top five. Something happened and everyone is staying away.

Not at all surprised. Only teams running a 3-4 are going to be possibly be interested. So his options are limited. Throw in off field issues or rumors of issues, plus concerns over being able to put on weight, and he's sliding. He may get the last laugh by landing with the Patriots?

Well he didn't end up with the Pats. Weed + anxiety + undersized rush end must be like kryptonite to NFL GM's. He would have been better off robbing a gas station and sodomizing a coed than having that combo. Wouldn't it be awesome if Randy came out as gay? He would instantly be martyred as a victim of the evil NFL and politics.

Its too bad he didn't stay another year with these coaches. I thought he was getting mech better advice. Not sure if it had gone too far when he tested at the combine; but it would have been the last best time. Seemed the reason he went, was the basically first round position and quaranteed big money; ugh.

Never saw what the hype was about. Had some flashes of brilliance at NU, but no consistency. Needed to stay one more year.

I heard Kiper even mention that a slip to the third round was a possibility. Also heard quoted "a myriad of issues" this, to me, would indicate more than the marijuana - and would not be related to being undersized.

I don't know what we haven't been told, but Mr. Gregory will have an opportunity to prove many wrong next year.

Saw a tweet last night that said if "what he heard was true" that Randy was "Undraftable." Hopefully not true, wish him the best. There've already been players with weed issues drafted as well so it goes beyond that, and anxiety doesn't make a guy like him fall out of the draft.

Its too bad he didn't stay another year with these coaches. I thought he was getting mech better advice. Not sure if it had gone too far when he tested at the combine; but it would have been the last best time. Seemed the reason he went, was the basically first round position and quaranteed big money; ugh.
Sounding more like staying wasn't an option.

ADVERTISEMENT