ADVERTISEMENT

Harriman leaving NU

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
Not sure what this means for our Aussie commit. Sure feels like Miles is losing control of the program.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Guess Calipari is losing control of his program too. Top recruiters and top assistants are in demand. IF they weren't any good we could keep them forever. Next man up.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Not sure what this means for our Aussie commit. Sure feels like Miles is losing control of the program.
Guess Calipari is losing control of his program too. Top recruiters and top assistants are in demand. IF they weren't any good we could keep them forever. Next man up.
I don't think any of Calipari's assistants are going to mid-major conference schools like New Mexico. This isn't like Phil Mathews leaving for UCLA. We're talking about a team that finished 8th in the Mountain West.

Not sure if serious comparing the Kentucky situaton to NU......
Yeah I know
blush.r191677.gif
but they did lose their top assistant to another school. New Mexico has had more success in basketball than NU and for that fact is a more attractive program than NU. Not a surprise that somebody would leave NU for New Mexico.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:

I don't think any of Calipari's assistants are going to mid-major conference schools like New Mexico. This isn't like Phil Mathews leaving for UCLA. We're talking about a team that finished 8th in the Mountain West.
Call New Mexico a mid major if you like but their program has had more recent succes BY FAR than NU.

Rohrssen has extremely deep ties to New York, not a good comparison for him to go work for a childhood friend. Plus, it's been reported he got a 6-year deal, something Kentucky doesn't have to do.

Harriman leaving doesn't concern me, pending the replacement...

Call New Mexico a mid major if you like but their program has had more recent succes BY FAR than NU.
I don't think I'd say BY FAR. Alford got them to a couple of NCAA tournaments but never made any noise. They are not a juggernaut program by any means. I don't think they've ever made it past the 2nd round in the Big Dance.

Yes that's more than we have done as a program, but by that standard, then an assistant coaching job at Northern Iowa would be a better job. There has to be more to this story.

I don't think I'd say BY FAR. Alford got them to a couple of NCAA tournaments but never made any noise. They are not a juggernaut program by any means. I don't think they've ever made it past the 2nd round in the Big Dance.

Yes that's more than we have done as a program, but by that standard, then an assistant coaching job at Northern Iowa would be a better job. There has to be more to this story.
I don't think ANY person in college basketball would say that NU has been remotely close to New Mexico in reputation as a basketball school at any time recently. We got to the NCAA once and were bounced in the first round. Again, basketball assistants move around like an excercise T on Kate Upton. There is ALWAYs more to the story. That is true whenever a player or assistant moves on.

This post was edited on 4/19 2:16 PM by dinglefritz

We're solid with Hunter as our top recruiter for rop tier talent (see Watson, White and to a lesser extent Morrow) and Molinari has enough ties to get us in on guys in the areas we recruit (B1G area and border states, which is where 6 of our 7 last commits have come from).

We lost out on Craig Smith and replaced him with a defensive minded coach. I didn't like the hire from a coaching standpoint when it happened and we all probably saw why this past season. This next hire will be very important to Tim Miles, he will not be able to miss out.

Does Miles go out and get a good recruiter or a good bench coach? Serious question, he needs both.

Agree that this is a crucial hire for Miles. This is a 6 year rebuild job and we are going into year 4 with quite a bit of upheaval and turmoil. This was supposed to be his big year and now it's looking like a rebuild year. Contingency plans, contingency plans. Year 5 and 6 will need to produce.

Not to mention, a part of Osborne's administrative legacy as an athletic directory rides upon Miles ultimate success, or lack there of. He turned down a sure-fire success coach for a long-term program builder.

Depends what his thoughts are on Kenya Hunter. He did bring in White, Watson and Morrow - I know, I know, Morrow is a legacy, he still gets credit though. The combination of the two, recruiter and good bench coach, might be asking for too much at this point in time. I look at it as, which is more important and for me, we didn't replace Craig Smith so it has to happen this time around - get an offensive minded coach first and foremost.

Upheaval and turmoil you say, I counter that with the best recruiting class we've seen in around 20 years. With an opportunity to strengthen the coaching staff.

Sigh on the last comment, assuming you're referencing DM.

Not even all the lipstick at a L'Oreal plant could mask the pig that was last year. The autopsy report has many pages, but one thing's for dang sure, there was no reason we should have tanked like that. Nobody should have bought in to all the hype going into this season, but 13 wins was severely underperforming.

Miles is the best thing to happen to Nebraska basketball in a long, long time. I completely agree, this recruiting class is a reason for optimism. The scary thing is, Watson and Morrow may not even be the best player in the class. Timmy could have another 13 win gutter-bomb again next year and I still would be behind him 100%. Due to the current circumstances, years 5 and 6 will ultimately decide the success of Miles in my opinion.

HTO, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the departure of Craig Smith. I think he meant a lot more to Miles than people originally thought. He was a very good bench coach. I agree about Hunter, too. If he can go out and rope talent, then Tim might look towards a bench coach. Personally, I hope he goes out and gets a recruiter and works hard with Kenya to cobble together a better offense.

....and no, I'm not talking about DM.

Watch out, we're on the same page with length of time and Miles, amongst other topics with Nebrasketball....

Good to know someone thinks that of Kenya, I just never thought of him as an offensive mind. Interesting about someone outside of DM, that's the only name I had heard of and was a little shocked at the coldness from TO to a former Husker for working that angle of interest.

They've been to the tourney s lot more than the big red. His family hated Nebraska winters(I know that, but have no idea if it factored into the decision)

Something else not discussed, Harriman has been looking to take the next step for the last two seasons. A few weeks ago, he was a finalist for one of the head coach openings in Indiana or Illinois, can't remember which school though. Maybe, just maybe, the feedback Chris got made him evaluate where he's at and where he needs to be to get a HC gig.

It took Craig Smith one opportunity to get a HC position. Just saying...

Osborne did the right thing by keeping Sadler around another year. It came down to timing and the completion of the practice facility in order to woo a potential coach. Still to this day though, I'm shocked that T.O. gave Sadler the raise for his final season that he did though. I get the extension, but the raise?

Osborne didn't call some people he should have, that's for sure. He called a bunch of football players. Now Nebraska basketball doesn't have a ton of icons like it's football program does, but one would think that a phone call to Lue and Strickland would have been prudent. Both have NBA ties to a lot of people, perhaps even someone pushing for the job. I think, in fact I know, some of our basketball alumini weren't happy they were not consulted. Not only were they not asked, their phone calls were not returned.

Blah...it doesn't really matter. Hindsight is always 20/20. Osborne hired Miles, a proven program builder, and he's made Nebraska basketball as exciting as it's been in 2 decades. Let's say a Bob Huggins-type would have got hired. They come in, recruit the lights out, make a Sweet 16, and leave. We could very well go right back to the status quo. Perhaps the program builder is best. Miles has done well and deserves a chance to complete the rebuild.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:59 PM by Ragnar_Lodbrok

This post was edited on 4/19 9:59 PM by Ragnar_Lodbrok

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT