ADVERTISEMENT

Gregatron fails drug test

Re: NFL network reporting

Nfl.com has the story (sorry for the plug). Some very interesting information in there. Guy better get intensive help, pronto, if for no other reason to give the perception that he is taking it seriously.

A little Mary Jane isn't going to lose him an opportunity, hell the NFL has millionaire wife beaters, murders, child beaters, this ain't shit. I would bet 70% if not more of them smoke weed! surprised they even test for pot anymore.

So if he "officially" failed the drug test twice while at Nebraska, why was he not at least suspended? (or was he?)

This makes me curious of the reasons that some of the other players were suspended at different times and whether he actually received preferential treatment because of his abilities (again if he was not suspended at all).

A third time to get kicked off the team? Maybe I missed any "dog house" type stuff relating to him, but I don't recall much, if any, of that for him during his career here, but I could be wrong!

After finishing the article and seeing what he has to say about it, I hoe he doesn't succumb to peer pressure. Surely every story of NFL player parties is true.

Good luck Gregory and stay clean!

Quite an article, especially about his time in Lincoln. For those of us who didn't see the fire in him, I guess we have a partial answer. Amazing that NFL scouts think so highly of him.

I heard plenty of stories about Randy hanging out with wrong crowd in his time at Nebraska, so I can't say I'm surprised by all of this. This is likely a big enough red flag for teams that he'll lose out on his mega money. Someone will take a gamble on him and it is up to him whether or not he can get off the good stuff. If he does the skies the limit, if not he's a college dropout with a history of failing drug tests. Hopefully he can turn this around.

I don't think he'll be a first round pick. I think teams should be more worried by how often he took himself out games last year.

Originally posted by planored:
A little Mary Jane isn't going to lose him an opportunity, hell the NFL has millionaire wife beaters, murders, child beaters, this ain't shit. I would bet 70% if not more of them smoke weed! surprised they even test for pot anymore.
nfl probably knew anyways. not a big deal to me either, but itll be interesting to see how it pans out. in light of those thing you mentioned.

Agreed that pot is not a big deal, but you know they drug test at the combine. You have to be a giant idiot to get caught.

Originally posted by GeauxBigRed:
Agreed that pot is not a big deal, but you know they drug test at the combine. You have to be a giant idiot to get caught.
Yep. He failed a drug test at a job interview that he knew was coming for months. That is just plain dumb.

Originally posted by Cloud@Heart:
Does this increase or decrease his chances of signing with the Denver Broncos?
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GretnaShawn:

Yep. He failed a drug test at a job interview that he knew was coming for months. That is just plain dumb.
For those in the know, how long does weed stay in your system for testing purposes?

I was surprised to see in the article that he hadn't smoked it since December (not saying I believe this one bit) and that he still tested positive a couple months later.

If he was a proven stud in the NFL already this wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Since he has yet to ever play a down, it will cost him a huge chunk, and the only way he ever recoup the cash is if he goes on to be that stud, in his next contract. However, if he needed this to happen in order to stop smoking it and land his big money contract, then in the end this might be a good thing for him. Plus, the farther down the draft he goes, the better of the team he might land on. In short, dumb, but not career defining, just career delaying in terms of the big guaranteed money, if he can play at the NFL level, which I always wondered about personally.

We are talking about weed right? Okay, just wanted to make sure. Tons of players at Nebraska smoke weed. Spare me the mock outrage. Crazy how society deals with this. "And with the 1st pick in the NFL draft, rapist Jameis Winston."

Originally posted by TwinsRRUs:

Originally posted by GretnaShawn:

For those in the know, how long does weed stay in your system for testing purposes?

I was surprised to see in the article that he hadn't smoked it since December (not saying I believe this one bit) and that he still tested positive a couple months later.
It depends. Heavy use and how they took the test are factors. Blood shows it in the sytem for longer period than urine but for a heavy user it could easily be detected for over 30 days. Betting he is still smoking and will fail another that will more than likely be required before signing.

This just further supports my opinion that RG is not worthy of a top 10 pick.

Not only is he not physically ready, there are some mental challenges also.

Re: the drug test it depends on how they test.

-Urine test, about 2-3 weeks max.
-Saliva test, 3 days max.
-Blood test, 1 week max for heavy users, 3 days for average users.
-Hair test, 90 days as long as the hair tested is 1.5 inches or longer.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BigBL87:
Re: the drug test it depends on how they test.

-Urine test, about 2-3 weeks max.
-Saliva test, 3 days max.
-Blood test, 1 week max for heavy users, 3 days for average users.
-Hair test, 90 days as long as the hair tested is 1.5 inches or longer.

I don't think this is accurate. Don't know enough to say it's flat out wrong, but I think your urine time of 2-3 weeks is a little shy. I think it's closer to 30-45 days depending on how regular of a user you are.

Blood test for a regular user can up to two months.

Hair, is pretty much forever.

At least that's what I've always thought. In short, I think with today's testing, it sticks around a lot longer than you think and the right hair test can tell if you've pretty much ever done it in your life.

In one of my previous employments I personally drug tested hundreds of people and have heard every story there is when the results come back positive. At least Randy owned up to it although I am pretty sure he is fudging a little on the last time he smoked pot.

I have seen urine supposedly get up slightly over 30 days, but that's pretty rare. There may be more sensitive tests out there, those are just the typical times I've been told by our probation department here.

Doing some searching, it looks like urine can go a bit longer for heavy users with high body fat, but the numbers I quoted are the typical times. Urine is actually a better test than blood though, contrary to traditional logic. The thing it tests stays around longer than what a blood test tests for.

People think this is a problem or news? He's going to be just fine I promise.

Not sure who is outraged. Tons of players everywhere, and plenty of society, smoke weed. The obvious issue is how much and how often he did it. When you wake up in the morning and the first thing you think about is smoking weed, there just might be an issue. Not to mention that the NFL has a drug policy that, if he can't get it under control (which is a real possibility), will cost a team a player because he'll be out on his ass. We're not talking about a guy who smoked a couple j's every weekend. The guy loves his chronic.

I don't care if he wake and bakes and smokes 15 blunts a day. What issue is there? He built himself into a top 10 pick. Besides being illegal what is the issue? He umm like smokes weed, which um is illegal, so I guess it is a problem. Let's send him to rehab.

It's illegal, it violates NFL policy, and he knows that. Yet he chose to do it anyway. That's a major red flag.

Some say that weed is not addictive. If that is true, then please explain why RG made this decision.

Originally posted by kchu5ker555:
It's illegal, it violates NFL policy, and he knows that. Yet he chose to do it anyway. That's a major red flag.

Some say that weed is not addictive. If that is true, then please explain why RG made this decision.
Things don't have to be addictive to be desirable, attractive, and hard to resist. I'm supposed to be cutting down on red meat according to my doc, but I'm sure as hell still eating it more than once a week. :p

Agree with the rest of your post... it's not so much about the weed smoking being a horrible crime (it isn't by itself), but about the obvious self-control of a guy who with millions of dollars on the line still chose to do something to jeopardize that. Generally you want people with some self-control, especially when addiction isn't a factor. If pot were addictive it'd actually at least give him an excuse, but since it isn't he just has no sense or self control.

Pelini had a zero tolerance policy for weed -- unless you were really good at football.

For some reason there was a perception Bo took a hard line against weed. Based on the comments of Gregory, it does not appear to be the case but that he was a win at all cost coach.

Who did Bo ever discipline for failed drug tests?

I'm not going to advocate for or against weed in terms of legality or general comparisons with alcohol (e.g., which one is worse.)

The fact of the matter is, if someone drinks on a daily basis when they are trying to perform at elite levels, they don't have their priorities straight. Similar to someone smoking weed on a daily basis.

It sounds like he said his marijuana use was at the worst at Nebraska. This leads me to believe he was more than a casual one weekend night smoker.

Forget the legality and lack of suspension. This shows me that he has either a) a serious addiction problem or b) does not prioritize football to the point someone who is set to potentially earn millions of dollars for a craft should.

This, in combination with the lack of intelligence for not preparing yourself for the testing that every player knows is going to happen also brings into question one's intelligence.

Still - he will be drafted in the first half of the draft and there will be little consequence.

Weed is something that is relatively easy to put up on the shelf. It is a substance that you choose to partake in. Randy Gregory has a boat load of talent, but has a bunch of work to do on the mental aspect of not just the game, but probably life in general.

Originally posted by Sooner_or_Later:
For some reason there was a perception Bo took a hard line against weed. Based on the comments of Gregory, it does not appear to be the case but that he was a win at all cost coach.

Who did Bo ever discipline for failed drug tests?
It's not "Bo's" policy, its a University policy. 3 strikes and you're out.

Originally posted by john bames:
I don't care if he wake and bakes and smokes 15 blunts a day. What issue is there? He built himself into a top 10 pick. Besides being illegal what is the issue? He umm like smokes weed, which um is illegal, so I guess it is a problem. Let's send him to rehab.
If I'm an NFL exec, I am not wasting a pick on a guy who cannot arrange his life to pass a drug test. If he can't do that, who's to say he can do the things in the gym and practice field that will translate into results in the Pro game. The legality doesn't matter. Randy Gregory needs to get his priorities straight. Compare him to a guy like Roger Craig. Roger was nowhere near as talented as Rozier, but had a stellar NFL career, hall of fame caliber. Why? Work ethic.
As a recreational drug, there is nothing wrong with pot. That doesn't mean that RG should be partaking. Perhaps he should be getting ready to compete for Rookie of the Year instead of failing a drug screen. Cannibis is not addictive. His use of it to the extent that he failed a drug test points to a question of priorities.

Does it bother you that he may have just cost himself a couple of million dollars? Besides being illegal and the league has a no tolerance policy, he has just shown that he lacks discipline. He was fighting an up-hill battle anyway with his slight built. There are a 100 other guys waiting to take his place if he can't square his life around to pass a stupid piss test. What an idiot!!! Never mind that it reflects on the school also. What does he care. Again, what an idiot!!!

one would think a player with two strikes would be prone to frequent tests. Sounds like Gregory admitted to smoking in December . Why was it not caught during any of his test done in December unless he did it after the bowl game.

What a fcuking idiot.

One nugget from this. He was told a 3rd failed test would result in him being kicked off the team.

He didn't give a chit.

Loser. Can you tell I am not a pot advocate?

I like my alcohol but not my a fan of drug users and abusers. The fact he knew that this was coming is alarming.

Cost himself millions. He may be the next Josh Gordon.

This post was edited on 3/26 10:39 AM by mountainmann

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT